should the age for voting be lowered??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
should we give the youths of today a chance to have their say in who governs us, if we did what would be the benefits?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
should we give the youths of today a chance to have their say in who governs us, if we did what would be the benefits?
Well, don't know overall of the benefits of it, but i use the same old argument that if your old enough to pay taxes, your old enough to vote, because it is simply about what is right in my opinion.
The_Barman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well, don't know overall of the benefits of it, but i use the same old argument that if your old enough to pay taxes, your old enough to vote, because it is simply about what is right in my opinion.
I Aint to sure babout that because i think maturity has alot to do with it. I think 18 is okay because i think someone at the age of 18 compared to someone the age of 16 is more mature (Most of the time) But i wanna make it clear i dont mean to offend anyone at 16...i dont think that paying taxes should give you the right to vote because that aint what taxes are about...there about the lights in ur street, the dustbin men every week, the police, fire brigade etc....there about civil service....i think lol! I dont think it should be lowered...not yet anyway! J.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
most of us dont understand it. id rather not vote at all, or at least nbot til in 21. im weird. ahem
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
there have been loads of threads on this. I reckon no they shouldn't be aloud to vote for quite afew reasons.

a.) hardly any 18yr olds vote so why should 16yr olds
b.) I only no afew 16yr olds that are interested in politics and even then, only a few no the difference between Labour and Librael (can't spell it).
Amy
Rep:
?
thats what i thonk its same as being able to have sex legally at 16 but not being able to buy sex toys till ur 18... its just an example!!
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
I Aint to sure babout that because i think maturity has alot to do with it. I think 18 is okay because i think someone at the age of 18 compared to someone the age of 16 is more mature (Most of the time) But i wanna make it clear i dont mean to offend anyone at 16...i dont think that paying taxes should give you the right to vote because that aint what taxes are about...there about the lights in ur street, the dustbin men every week, the police, fire brigade etc....there about civil service....i think lol! I dont think it should be lowered...not yet anyway! J.
Yes, but taxes are about contributing to society, so surely if you contribute to it, you should have a say who runs it.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
thats what i thonk its same as being able to have sex legally at 16 but not being able to buy sex toys till ur 18... its just an example!!
Yeah, i find that stupid. And you can't even watch yourself until 18, so you've legally got to remove the mirrors if there are any, so you can't see it!
Well... not really actually, but you get the point.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeah i kinda agree, im nearly 18 and i have no interest in politics and stuff at all...but maybe thats just me, i probly wouldnt votem and i think 18 is old enough anyway, not 16. Although at 16 you have some rights, I dont think they should have a say in the way the country is run cos theyre not adults. Ive probably just COMPLETELY contradicted myself there lol. it kinda makes sense when im writing it lol x
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
there have been loads of threads on this. I reckon no they shouldn't be aloud to vote for quite afew reasons.

a.) hardly any 18yr olds vote so why should 16yr olds
b.) I only no afew 16yr olds that are interested in politics and even then, only a few no the difference between Labour and Librael (can't spell it).
But surely if most 18 year olds don't vote, and they can have the vote, surely it would make little difference if 16 year olds could vote from that point of view.
Only those who has a sufficient interest in politics would vote, and as that is what happens anyway, where's the real difference, except that 16 year olds are getting rights which they are entitled to have.
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes, but taxes are about contributing to society, so surely if you contribute to it, you should have a say who runs it.
I see your point of view but its a two sided argument because were both right! So its really upto what Parliament decide to do!!
Amy
Rep:
?
But surely if most 18 year olds don't vote, and they can have the vote, surely it would make little difference if 16 year olds could vote from that point of view.
Only those who has a sufficient interest in politics would vote, and as that is what happens anyway, where's the real difference, except that 16 year olds are getting rights which they are entitled to have.
here here!!
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
16yr olds don't really know what they are voting for though. It's as i said, 16yr olds don't really care about politics and they don't really understand why they are voting for this person.

I'm not saying that all 16yr olds are like that. Just most.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
I see your point of view but its a two sided argument because were both right! So its really upto what Parliament decide to do!!
Well every argument has two sides, and people who take the opinion of either believe that they are right.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
16yr olds don't really know what they are voting for though. It's as i said, 16yr olds don't really care about politics and they don't really understand why they are voting for this person.

But 18 year old's do?
The point is that 16/17 year olds should have the same opportuninty to vote as 18+ year olds. And there are plenty 18+ year olds who don't have a clue what they are voting for, so surely that isn't an issue in whether 16/17 year olds can vote.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes, the age should be lowered. Voter apathy is a real problem. I think it should be part of the national curriculum to teach us the importance of using our right to vote. This would only work if there was a practical sense involved (ie. the right to vote!)

Adam
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)

u cant just genralise in that way because u have no sourse to back that up, i think if they were given the option of the vote, it would most definately add to their maturity level
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But 18 year old's do?
The point is that 16/17 year olds should have the same opportuninty to vote as 18+ year olds. And there are plenty 18+ year olds who don't have a clue what they are voting for, so surely that isn't an issue in whether 16/17 year olds can vote.
but 18 yr olds have MORE of an idea with politics than 16yr olds. I'm willing to bet that when the tution fee's were being annoused, most 16yr olds were either outside, watching something else, or they didn't care about it.
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
but 18 yr olds have MORE of an idea with politics than 16yr olds. I'm willing to bet that when the tution fee's were being annoused, most 16yr olds were either outside, watching something else, or they didn't care about it.
Not true you have to realise once your 18 yr olds vote their tutition is affected in college they leave but it will affect the 16 year olds moving into 6th forms etc so it isn't fair that they don't have a right
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
Yes, the age should be lowered. Voter apathy is a real problem. I think it should be part of the national curriculum to teach us the importance of using our right to vote. This would only work if there was a practical sense involved (ie. the right to vote!)

Adam
i think they should teach it anyway, in preperation for the rest of ur life, i was asking my sister (shes 13) just the other day who the suffragettes were and she had no idea, they are the only reason we have equality between the sexes today!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads