Watch
This discussion is closed.
kissmequick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
as do most 16 yr olds in that lesson called PSHE, and 17 yr olds also do it at college,

what about all those people that dont go to college????
You have to it's compulsary to do GCSE's and at 16 you ddon't discuss polotics in pshe it's not the curiculum
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
But people can vote and not truly understand what a party represents, and may just like the principal of the party. You cannot make voting a matter of intelligence and knowledge, because that would significantly reduce the number of voters!
Well the test devised would be an all round topics test and understanding of democracy goverment and parties, personally I think people that are older should be told to take it but thats a different matter
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
no but you have to draw a line somewhere...if it was lowered to 16 then some educated 15 year olds would be complaining saying that they should be allowed too.

at 18 you are classed by law as an adult....you can vote for elections whe you are an ADULT.

get over it ppl
Well then surely you shouldn't be forced to pay taxes if you are only 16. 15 year olds do not pay taxes, and therefore they should not be able to vote.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
polictics doesnt interest everyone so not every one WANTS to understand about it or learn and know about it. all they politicians do is just cause trouble.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
as do most 16 yr olds in that lesson called PSHE, and 17 yr olds also do it at college,

what about all those people that dont go to college????
i did PSHE, and we never did politics. we only did the usual such as achoel, drugs, etc.
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
half Way There 500th Post
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well then surely you shouldn't be forced to pay taxes if you are only 16. 15 year olds do not pay taxes, and therefore they should not be able to vote.
16 year olds should go in to further education and therefore not pay taxes.
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
i did PSHE, and we never did politics. we only did the usual such as achoel, drugs, etc.
I agree I'm 16 doing PSHE and all we do is sex, drugs (not rock and roll unfortunately got banned last year after a hendrix gig lol) and bereavement and relationships etc etc NO POLITICS, at this age ppl that know about them have done so by their own accord
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kissmequick)
half Way There 500th Post
yay! well done!!!!! x - x - x - x

well a few more points and il ahve 2 green things! wooo!

what does 1000 post mean tho?
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
You have to it's compulsary to do GCSE's and at 16 you ddon't discuss polotics in pshe it's not the curiculum
we did it, and it sure helped, we also have our elders to learn from, they teach us about politics, the news , newspapers, magazines they all teach us about politics, but u may not realise it
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
as i said before, 18yr olds have a better idea than 16yr olds cos we have to discuss it at college.

I dont think that is very fair because some ppl are more mature than others at a certain age. I know a few ppl that are over 18 yet they are mature as there were at 16!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
we did it, and it sure helped, we also have our elders to learn from, they teach us about politics, the news , newspapers, magazines they all teach us about politics, but u may not realise it
my mum and dad cant stand politics so really i only know what i no form mr burns!
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well u have a werid school then. In fact we stopped learning PSHE in Year 10 cos we had to do our coursework.
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah well not everyones your parents where I come form parents don't give a **** about their kids and don't care where they are at whatever time or what they're doing. Which is normally theft, drugs etc etc. I don't think my friend Joseph who yesterday sold his parents tv for heroin while they were out will e all too bothered with politics especially as he's expelled
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)

I dont think that is very fair because some ppl are more mature than others at a certain age. I know a few ppl that are over 18 yet they are mature as there were at 16!
Odd example there will always be anomalies but you will normally find you mature over the age of 16-18 do you not remember how much you grew from starting secondary school and after a few years?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
16 year olds should go in to further education and therefore not pay taxes.
But some don't. And you can't say people should do this or that, because it is up to each individual and their situation what they decide to do.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)

it can't be subjective. if you had a "maturity" or "intelligence" test to certify ppl to vote then it would be going against the principles of democracy. it has to draw the line somewhere, ppl will never be happy where the line is drawn however.

at 16 you are in full time education or just started full time work. you could argue that in full time work you pay taxes so therefore should be able to vote, but what if you are in full time education and dont work enough to pay taxes, should you be able to vote when you don''t contribute in taxes towards society. at 18 you may not have a full time job while at uni, dont pay taxes. but you can vote.

*im making sense to me*
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But some don't. And you can't say people should do this or that, because it is up to each individual and their situation what they decide to do.
ican understand that, but it is better to try and go into Further Education. Out of my year, only 4 people took aprentaships and 1 person went into the armed forces.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
even if the age was lowered to 16, they wouldnt have to vote if they didnt want to, it all about options
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah well not everyones your parents where I come form parents don't give a **** about their kids and don't care where they are at whatever time or what they're doing. Which is normally theft, drugs etc etc. I don't think my friend Joseph who yesterday sold his parents tv for heroin while they were out will e all too bothered with politics especially as he's expelled
theres a few parents like that near a place where i live. they just have kids to ghet extra benifit money which they spend on booze and whatever else they feel the need for.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (184)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (132)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (171)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.69%
Loneliness (101)
8.44%
Financial worries (40)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (64)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (106)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (108)
9.03%

Watched Threads