I'm depressed and I don't want to revise anymore! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've been revising for the last two weeks. At first it was great. I loved it and I kept going through my work quickly. However at this point. I'm just depressed and misreable. I can barely put enough effort for 30 minutes. I still have a lot left to revise!

I don't know what to do! One side of me wants to just lie in bed and cry. While the otherside of me knows that if I don't do pick up the pace I'll end up failing my exams.

I just lost the desire to do anything now.
Preeka
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know how you feel!!! but keep telling yourself it's only a little bit of more pain. Tbh, looking back and thinking you could have done better if you tried harder will be much much worse. Just suck it up now no matter how hard and then let loose after exams! Good luck. And don't stress. The more you stress, the more it hinders revision so instead of thinking "omg how will I cover all this?", just set yourself mini goals. Like, I need to understand "this, this and this" before the day ends and work towards that.
ThemThereEyes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Stop revising and fail your exams.

Then see how depressed you feel.

I hate revision so have always used a reward system. Yesterday for example, I revised for around 7 hours so I could go out in the night.

I've never understood people who lock themselves away to revise for exams.
Killer Bean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds like 'burnout' - look it up. Balance it out. Do something fun for a couple of days, get your mind off revision and just go back to it whenever you feel you're up to it.
Abassk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i feel the same, someone help me
bench
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You must keep a healthy balance between socializing and revising. Just like a maintaining a balance diet, eat too much you become fat, eat to less you become skinny.
Revise too much and you will become depressed and bored, socialize too much and your education will suffer making you depressed and sad in the long run.

++ Are you really going to remember things well if you don't actually want to revise it in the first place? No.
Pavan05
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I feel your pain
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A kid has an exam the next night, but he also has a brand new video game. He argues that he'll get a lot more utility by playing the game for 5 mins now than from revising for 5 mins, so he plays his video game for 5 mins. After those 5 mins have passed, he again realises that playing his video game for 5 mins brings more utility than revising for 5 mins. So he does it again. He keeps going until his exam's on in an hour and ends up failing, after which he realises that revising the whole night would have given him more utility after all. Where did his reasoning go wrong that night?

(Answer is you can't maximise utility on the margin, you need to maximise over the whole time period. Not wanting to revise/sleep/cry may be maximising on the margin, but you'll feel a hell of a lot better when you get good results. So work!)

(incidentally, this is a question from Economics at LSE)
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You aren't depressed you're just despondent and reacting to pressure. Break things up a bit... go for a walk, visit a friend, play your favourite video game or bake a cake.

There's no point revising for hours on end anyway. That's just boring and monotonous. Revise for short periods and break it up with fun things like music, short youtube clips or a couple of pages from a decent novel.
*Hakz*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been revising for the last two weeks. At first it was great. I loved it and I kept going through my work quickly. However at this point. I'm just depressed and misreable. I can barely put enough effort for 30 minutes. I still have a lot left to revise!

I don't know what to do! One side of me wants to just lie in bed and cry. While the otherside of me knows that if I don't do pick up the pace I'll end up failing my exams.

You should be proud of yourself for the revision you've done during this holiday.

The revision pattern for some of us (e.g. me) has plummeted. For me, it has been the weather making me want to go out every single day. Now I realise I really to get back on track or I will fail.

Just think of it this way: What will make you more depressing in a couple of months?

Continue studying now and get top grades in August or stop revision now leading to failure?

You will be rewarded with your hard work, so my friend there's nothing to be depressed about at the moment.

God be with you.
Blueflare
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Burnout. I know how that feels.
Khodu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm the same.
rawwwwr!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll do your revision if you do all my assignments.
PinkPunk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know it can be very frustrating when u know exams are just around the corner. However, it's just for a couple of days and once over you are good to go. Work hard now and you'll definitely get the reward. Keeping studying and whenever you feel repulsive, just give yourself a break. Goodluck!
Implo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Imagine not seeing that grade your aiming for on the sheet, then imagine seeing it.
sixthformer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by anonymous)
i've been revising for the last two weeks. At first it was great. I loved it and i kept going through my work quickly. However at this point. I'm just depressed and misreable. I can barely put enough effort for 30 minutes. I still have a lot left to revise!

I don't know what to do! One side of me wants to just lie in bed and cry. While the otherside of me knows that if i don't do pick up the pace i'll end up failing my exams.

i am in ur position

but listen

hold your groumd, hold your ground

a day may come, when the courage of students fails, when we forsake our revision and break all bonds of hope

but it is not this day

an hour of depression, and distraught, when the age of men comes crashing down

but it is not this day

your exams are in a month, fight! By all that you want to hear, on the results day

i bid you stand! Men! Of education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous #2
Report 8 years ago
At least you managed to start some revision.
splatz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ughhhhh... me too. Tbh I am so out of it that I actually just looked up what to do when you don't want to revise!!Maybe (childish as it may seem) try doing some quizzes/games online about the topic you are trying to study. This sometimes helps me remember things better because I am revising in a fun way. The only issue there is that I am doing art GCSE. There really aren't any games you can use to help that.Whatever you do DO NOT KEEP PUTTING IT OFF! otherwise you will fall into the loophole of
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by splatz)
ughhhhh... me too. Tbh I am so out of it that I actually just looked up what to do when you don't want to revise!!Maybe (childish as it may seem) try doing some quizzes/games online about the topic you are trying to study. This sometimes helps me remember things better because I am revising in a fun way. The only issue there is that I am doing art GCSE. There really aren't any games you can use to help that.Whatever you do DO NOT KEEP PUTTING IT OFF! otherwise you will fall into the loophole of
This thread was from 7 years ago 😑
Please don’t bump old threads
Incognito Kellog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol me too! It gets dark quick because it is winter and the darkness is just making me miserable! Lol revising for Geography 😣
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads