University internet connection

Watch
This discussion is closed.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
whats yours like at uni? i know most of them are pretty fast but many restrict certain things. does thew firewall stop you d/ling mp3s/p2p networks or playing online games?
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
whats yours like at uni? i know most of them are pretty fast but many restrict certain things. does thew firewall stop you d/ling mp3s/p2p networks or playing online games?
I think there was a topic on this a month or so ago. Anyway at Essex there are no restrictions inside the uni firewall. But only normal services web browsing, ftp, im can pass through. So you can play online gaming and filesharing with people inside the network but cant connect to any services outside.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Here at Birmingham, afaik, there aren't any ports blocked or anything. We can download MP3s and stuff, though we're not allowed to. Can play games online too .
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In my hall (KCH) we don't have net connections in rooms. We have a seperate computer room, but i decided to fork out for a BT line and Bulldog 1mbit broadband. I also setup a wireless router and now peeps pay me £10 a month to access the net. :cool:
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ANyone know about Durham?
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
ANyone know about Durham?
They might have the info on their website - seach for computing service.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The one here at UEA is very fast (though its been hit by this virus so its been slowed down quiet a bit this past few days) and you can download MP3's and all sorts, there's nothing saying you can't do it. Its also completely free to use it from your room, which is very good (seeing as I am permanently on it!).
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
The one at Notts is fast. We're not meant to play online games or use P2P software, but it's not actually restricted so that we can't use it.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My university has a 155mbps connection. I don't live in halls so I have not really tried to do anything dodgy. I know the MSN ports are blocked though.
xtra786
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
My university has a 155mbps connection. I don't live in halls so I have not really tried to do anything dodgy. I know the MSN ports are blocked though.
jus wondering, do manchester students get internet access in their study rooms (through ethernet), and is it free?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by xtra786)
jus wondering, do manchester students get internet access in their study rooms (through ethernet), and is it free?
I'm at Salford and I live at home. However I know somebody who has broandband internet access in their rooms, but she goes to the met not the proper manchester univeristy. You can get internet access but you will probably have to pay though is will be much cheaper than normal broadband.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Manchester has like more than a dozen different places in the city it puts first years I think? Some will, some won't.

Do people at unis tend to ignore the P2P bans etc? Or are you seriously in trouble if you do those things?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know my roommate downloads MP3s quite regularly, even though we're not supposed to, but no-one's said anything about it.
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my connection is normally instant. I think the only restrictions we have is illegal downlaoding
Baron
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my uni connection is a 100mbit connection throught the university LAN (i think it connects to the janet backbone).

can get 5meg/sec sometimes but usually around 100kb/sec. There is a firewall and proxy so loads of stuff like p2p progs and online games wont work

Cant wait til next year when i live in a house with a normal connection - will be able to use p2p
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.13%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.78%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.93%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.19%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.87%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.19%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.77%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.48%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.32%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads