Easy GCSE and Easy A-Level Subjects Watch

digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes but how is Economics A-Level. Is it easy or difficult? And is there any students taking degrees in Business/Management reading this. And if so, what A-Level's did you take and at what grade?
From my own experiences and asking other people in my eco class ( I took GCSE Eco A*) everyone who took GCSE eco finds AS very easy, I find it a little boring actually, not much new is taught !! It's just like GCSE all over again!! People who haven't taken it really struggle with it, I sympathise as I did when I started GCSE...didn't click until May, moved from Cs to a As and A*s in two months

It's also a mixed split on people who enjoy it, half take it and enjoy it and half (including me) really don't...reminds me of sitting in a dusty old library flicking through pages of unapplicable theory it's hard to relate a lot of the concepts to the real world

And chemistry is very very hard, mostly because a lot of the concepts you are taught at GCSE are oversimplified or sometimes plain wrong!
Popa Dom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Village Idiot)
. I took information off the BBC website which shows the national exam results from each subject and it revealed that media studies is harder to pass than maths! With a larger percentage recieving A's in Mathamatics than Media Studies.
The reason Maths has such a high percentage of people getting As is that most people who take it are already good at maths, and have agood idea of the subject from GCSE. Not many people who did badly at GCSE maths take it for AS. Media studies on the other hand is something of an unknown (not that many people do it for GCSE), so people will take it who think it sounds interesting, even though they have little idea of their ability in the subject. Also, it tends to be the smarter people who take maths AS, whereas media studies is more open to everyone (not saying its actually easier, but its generally perceived that way), so the people doing maths are more likely to do well (for example, further maths, which is one of the most self selecting subjects has 58% of people taking it getting A at Alevel).

I dont think you can really have any "facts" or statistics that prove how difficult a subject is, like people have said, its a very personal thing. Maybe you can look at the skills it teaches you that employers are looking for.
dragons_circle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:ditto:

Maths, Chemistry, Music (especially if you play in an orchestra) are complete doss at GCSE. For music, I did it in one year with no text book until 1 1/2 weeks before the REAL exam, still got an A*.

I still find music pretty easy now at A level, but Chemistry is memory intensive. Maths/ Further Maths is not hard in itself, but learning twice as much material in the same time is the hard bit.
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
GCSE Business was actually harder than most of the other stuff I did, but still kinda easy. GCSE overall = not very challenging.

At A-Level I've found Politics, Film and Eng Lit rather easy and History quite hard (although was only because I hated my teacher, missed loads of lessons and revised on the morning of the exam - got a B still).
BlueRoses
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My easiest standard grades (similar to GCSEs) were geography, which would require no teaching and still get a top pass, and music
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Physics. Piss easy.
Agreed.

Add to that English Literature, English Language, History, German, Biology (at GCSE); English Literature, History, Government & Politics (at A-Level).
Elysium
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't like to comment really on GCSE's for the simple fact that they are all easy. Sure some are easier than others but there is no excuse for not getting an A-C pass in any subject. If you're going on to do A levels, that's all that matters.

As for A levels, I can only comment on the subjects that I took.

Psychology - A mickey mouse subject. Basically learn the terms required and it's pretty much impossible to fail. With only limited focus it's possible to get an A or B.

Chemistry - Low to Medium difficulty. It does get harder as you reach A2. If you can mesmerise things like formulas and conditions then you're pretty much assured a decent grade.

Maths - Medium difficulty. This again is just about mesmerising formulas and equatons. It's slightly harder than Chemistry because there's more to remember and what you have to remember is harder to do so. It does also require that you use your noggin to link some formulas to other but that isn't all that difficult.

Physics - I personally found this quite hard but that was more due to my 4% attendence for the year and having two of the worlds most boring teachers. It's probably on the same difficulty level as chemistry. Easier formulas to remember than maths but a few more facts to remember too.

Of course if you aren't interested in science then maths, physics and chemistry suddenly become a lot harder as maintaining focus increases in difficulty. These subjects can easily bore you to death if you aren't interested in them. They bored me to death and I thought I was interested in them.
superchemical
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's only easy if you're good at it.
xhaylox
Report 13 years ago
all gcse's are easy if u keep up with the work load, i found french really easy as i really liked the subject and had a teacher who was actually french lol
i hated english lit, i cud not see the point of writing about poems an stuff i had no interest in. Health and social care gccse was a joke, all i remember doin was health plans an rubbish, i learned nothin at all.
A levels are a lot harder, although the jump for me was not to shocking as i have a good base with my subjects as i done the seperate awards (tripple science) at gcse which are quite challenging(in my opinion anyways!)
at the end of the day it depends on personal interest
KerriT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Whether a subject is difficult or easy depends on you mostly. The reason fewer people get As in Media is because people who take Media Studies have a lower average points score at GCSE and tend to not work as hard (generalisation, but true at many schools). It has been proven that people with the same points score at GCSE get a grade lower in Science/Language A levels compared with people who take ologies and studies A levels. History AS level is not too bad but at A2 it's different. For the average person taking History to A2 is like taking two A levels (I said an average person, most people on TSR are not average!). As for English Literature, if you have a good teacher and are good at it you can get an A no problem. However, fi your teacher isn't so great you really have to work to get an A.
Shakespeare1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hi for me my easiest subjects are
maths
biology
media studies
art

i find media studies really easy, i got an A* in my mock with no revision but its hard to get the marks for your coursework. my coursework marks are generally high but you have to work at it. you can only do well in a subject if you are genuinely interested in it, and have the ability.

i find maths challenging but i love the subject, i understand it but it takes a lot of work before i can acomplish the topic we are doing. biology is my easiest science next to chemistry....im good at maths but bad at physics....strange lol
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
As my Chemistry teacher says about OCR Chemistry: "You have to be an idiot to fail it."

The answer to your question relies on your ability, your teacher, personal circumstances etc.. It is impossible to give a good answer.
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At GCSE...

Food Technology --> Easy, but be willing to cook the same meal three days in a row, as I did this week... grr...

Media Studies --> Bloody hard... don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Two Languages --> Incredibly hard. I take both French and Spanish, and I'm always getting confused between the two, or saying the wrong one in the wrong lesson
Cougar
Report 12 years ago
AS physics so far is easy, but people think it's hard. Isn't that perfect?

What people find hard and easy will vary from person to person. If you have common sense every GCSE should be easy (except Edexcel history which is extremely hard)
giacommo
Report 12 years ago
As has been said about a million times before it depends on the person. Especially how well you cope with/like coursework.

For GCSE I'd say the hardest subjects were...I.T ( loads of couserwork, and we did it in one lesson a week), Physics (crap teacher), English (can't do essays)

easiest...RS (revised on the way to the exam, managed a 'b'), languages generally

As for 'A' levels.
Business Studies a traditional doss subject, I agree. I took it for AS having not taken it at GCSE or anything. We did very little work throughout the year, my revision consisted of about 2 days cramming and i came out with 'B'..8 marks off an 'A'. Its totally common sense plus some name dropping of theorists etc!

A level Maths...difficult, but no coursework. Has to be a bonus

A level Geography...go for it.

A level art. DEFINATE:Y not a doss subject. you have to genuinly love it to get anywhere. Sooooo much coursework, very time consuming.
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ElWilson)
I would just like to ask whether anyone has any advise over hard and easy subjects for A-Level and GCSE stages. Does anyone have any "Do's and Don'ts"

Thanks.
I'd suggest you immediately rethink what you planning to do here. Taking subjects based on how "easy" you have been told, or have assumed they are is a completely inappropriate way to choose. You'll probally end up choosing social science subjects, but just because you have assumed they are easy doesnt mean you'll enjoy them, be motivated to work, revise and work hard towards getting those high top end grades which dont come easily.

Why not actually choose your A-Level subjects based on your interests, job prospects and personal preferences? This way the whole process of revision, work and coursework will seem much less like a choir, and more like an interesting development of knowledge which you actually want to learn more about.
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd agree, i took maths alevel knowing i wouldn't like it and i would find it difficult (which i do). However its a really useful alevel to have and i would disadvantaged without it...and through hard work (and gritted teeth) i got and A at as and and (just) on an A at overall at the moment. Don't be put offa subject ny thinking its difficult, you might even enjoy the challange.

p.s. i choose maths over sociology (a supposedly easier subject) and (no disrespect to any one doing sociology - several of my friends do) it was much better to have an A in maths than sociology.
lucho22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found economics - very easy at AS and I just finished A2 early (fast-track) with no teaching on european context with a very comfortable A - as did about 30% of the year...The content of the A2 isn't that much harder than AS and there is literally no new content for paper 6...so yeh it's pretty easy in comparision with history for instance...
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rewmck)
Don't do Business Studies, people may say it is a wasters subject and they'd be right about what you learn but the coursework sucked, I handed mine in last month and it was 60 A4 pages. (I am sure some of you people have done way more in other subjects and it probably sounds easy to A level people but if you go into BS expecting it to be easy and you get that coursework it is annoying). Personally I didn't even know Business Studies was an easy subject when I decided to do it, I just did it because I thought it might be a good subject.
Last year my business studies coursework was designing a chocolate bar :rofl: hehe twas class!!!!!
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tomásíona - Mháire)
Last year my business studies coursework was designing a chocolate bar :rofl: hehe twas class!!!!!
I did that in year 7 food tech!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?