The Student Room Group

The 'How to Approach Random Girls in the Street' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by jblackmoustache
Techniques and lines don't work. You can look at all PUA videos all you like and not get anywhere. Approaching girls is like good jazz. Improvised.

This man. He speaks words of truth. (for the most part)

Original post by Lewroll
First of all none of us are pick up artists. Second, lines can work if done properly. And finally, you and I :ninja: may be able to approach girls with ease because we are cool and sexy. But average Joe may not be so lucky. I thought seeing as threads like this are popular, we could make one big one so people can get some sort of tip, so that they don't freak the girl out and look like a douche.

All social skills can be learnt.

Yes, social skills can definitely be learnt. However, I don't think there's any kind of "formula" as such to succeed. There's too many variables involved. But while one is working on their social skills, what could be done is trying to adapt that "method" to their specific situation.

Some basic tips though:
- don't talk too quickly
- don't talk too much; be precise and give her/him time to answer back (although, depending on the situation, doing all the talking might actually work)
- try to be relaxed; she doesn't have a butterfly knife in her back pocket (even if she does, you can always hope she's not very good with her fingers)

Original post by LadyLondoner
One question: how do you guys deal with rejection?

How do I react if a girl I tried to talk to does not respond or does but negatively? Or what do I do post-rejection?

Usually depends on how it happened and whether the girl in question mattered to me.

Edit:

I'm also willing to be a test dummy thingy wingy laingy. I'll post again with results asap.
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha, lets see this work in London
Original post by m45
I like this thread because it actually stuck with me. i went out on tuesday and while at the club this thread came into my head. i don't normally approach girls but i thought f**k it. the first girl i approached went badly but the next actually went really well.

it involved some pre-approach work but still...
I noticed that she was with 2 other girls who had both found men - hence leaving her sticking out (and probably more willing to speak to someone so as not to be alone).
So i went up to her and with a smile said:
me: are these your friends?
her: yeah why?
me: well, i couldnt help but notice that they both are with guys and you're alone - i'm max, whats your name?

from there we got speaking, although i did mis-hear her name which was slightly embarrassing.

the 2 things i learnt are that most people will talk to you if you're friendly and if you get turned down, don't worry about it - their loss n all :P

sooo... thanks OP haha

That must have took some balls to do that, well done mate :smile:
I will think the same thing if I come across a girl somewhere which takes my liking. "f*** it" :wink:
Original post by itsmyname
Haha, lets see this work in London

it works trust me im a londoner
Original post by littlebluesocks
You know, I can genuinely see this working- probably not as a way to get into bed with her immediately, but if a guy started crying next to/on me, I'd talk to them and see if I could help... it could work as an ice breaker... though then you'd need to come up with something worthy of crying in public over...

For guys here, the fact that they're not getting any would suffice :tongue:
Reply 165
Original post by boba
just don't. I HATE men trying to talk to me in the street

Stupid people negging you should respect that.

Guys, you should know that the street is not actually meant for that. As the OP said it's not really part of the social norm. So you will find girls who won't mind, but those who do mind very much. And you should respect those who do mind.

Diamonds, pearls, and gold are not easy to get. Women who keep a high self-value are not easy to get either.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 166
Original post by Lewroll
:five: Well done for trying, matey.

I knew this thread would help some people. Did you get her digits? :sexface:

well actually.... i ended up staying at hers haha... but we got back so late that we both just passed out, hopefully see her again though :wink:
Original post by m45
well actually.... i ended up staying at hers haha... but we got back so late that we both just passed out, hopefully see her again though :wink:

You mean my thread is going to help someone get sex :cry2: I'm so proud.
Reply 169
Original post by Lewroll

You mean my thread is going to help someone get sex :cry2: I'm so proud.

i dont like the fact it won't let me give you anymore rep :biggrin:
Reply 170
mehhh
Tell her you're telepathic and say you can guess her phone number.
Then be like. Ok, I think it begins with an 0 am I right?
Then I think its followed by a 7?
Then obviously you don't know the rest but you guess a number and most probably she'll say no but try to find out higher or lower.
Do this for every number and bam, you've got all 11 digits and she thinks you're pretty funny too
Reply 172
I love this thread :biggrin:
Diamonds, pearls, and gold are not easy to get. Women who keep a high self-value are not easy to get either.

Diamonds, pearls, and go.d are actually easy to get with money. Women who keep a high self value are easy to get for confident people.
Original post by Best Superlative
You really have to be something special for a random person to take you seriously/not be frightened by you when you approach them in public. At least, that's how it is here in London.

I usually just pretend to start crying in front of them. At least that way they might touch me out of pity before they disappear forever.

lol when i went to london i was surprised at how reserved everyone was- esp on the tube- No one talked!

i think they were all scared of each other lol
Original post by auzzieman04
lol when i went to london i was surprised at how reserved everyone was- esp on the tube- No one talked!

i think they were all scared of each other lol

Tube journeys in london can be extremely depressing. You get on the tube with people, you sit/stand next to them, sometimes for very long periods of time, but nobody ever says anything! If you came on the tube dressed as Spiderman people would still ignore you :biggrin:

The sad thing about it is you will often get on a tube and there will be plenty of attractive people on there. But if you started talking to them people would look at you like you just pulled a bomb out of your pants.
Original post by m45
I like this thread because it actually stuck with me. i went out on tuesday and while at the club this thread came into my head. i don't normally approach girls but i thought f**k it. the first girl i approached went badly but the next actually went really well.

it involved some pre-approach work but still...
I noticed that she was with 2 other girls who had both found men - hence leaving her sticking out (and probably more willing to speak to someone so as not to be alone).
So i went up to her and with a smile said:
me: are these your friends?
her: yeah why?
me: well, i couldnt help but notice that they both are with guys and you're alone - i'm max, whats your name?

from there we got speaking, although i did mis-hear her name which was slightly embarrassing.

the 2 things i learnt are that most people will talk to you if you're friendly and if you get turned down, don't worry about it - their loss n all :P

sooo... thanks OP haha

I simultaneously hate you and love you for being able to do what I cannot.
Reply 177
'Hey there, I've lost my number, can I have yours?'

Can't see that failing :P
Original post by Lewroll

What I propose is everyone posts a different method of approaching a fe/male in public and posts their own experiences of it. Hopefully we should end up with a nice long list of ways to approach your desired sex in the street, so that you can get some :perv:

To make things more interesting, I personally1, shall 'test' the most popular methods2 in real life and report back with my findings :colonhash:

1- I will test the most popular techniques in real life so that you don't have to. I will be the test dummy. However if anyone else would like to join the team of test dummies, you are very welcome to.
2- Most popular methods within reason. If one of the most popular methods is to approach a girl in the street whilst waving my penis in her face, I will not do it.
3- If you are thinking 'this thread is pathetic' or something along those lines, GTFO. If this thread helps even one person then it has been successful.

Tldr; post a method for approaching a stranger in the street (to get their phone number/ask them out) which you think would be successful. Be creative.

Great idea and thread man :biggrin:
I've been trying this sorta thing for a year or two now, at places like Uni open days, socials and Medlink, etc., especially since I live in a (fairly strict) indian household where I'm not really allowed to casually go out with friends.
I've made quite a few of my friends this way :smile: It took me a while to get the confidence to just randomly approach someone and talk to them, and another while to learn the things to say and not to say (still learning!)

(here's an example)

"[announcement] The first of the Medical building tours is gonna start soon, and we have space for 10 people".

"Hurry, lets make the first one while theres still spaces left :smile:" I playfully say across the room to the cute indian girl.

"Bring your friend too"

"Okay :smile: " *giggle*

---
While queuing outside, this cute indian girl and her friend were just in front. She was very pretty, and I made a mental note that it would be nice to have a chat with her today.
We exchanged a cursory glance and or two while waiting, we were both busy in our respective conversations.
----

"Cmon, you can make it!", I said, cheering them on :biggrin:

"Cmon Sarah, we're not gonna make it unless we hurry! :tongue: "

They make it, I tell them that was a close one, well done, and we introduce ourselves, and start chatting :smile:

The rest of the day, I kept up the light playfulness and teasing, played noughts and crosses and just chatted.

Spoiler

tl;dr
Don't be afraid to be lightly playful and adventurous. Every situation (and personalities involved) is different, but generally being friendly, having a sense of humour and adventure will certainly help :smile:
It took me a while and lots of effort to "start being me" again, and let these things try and come naturally, so don't fret if it doesn't come first time for you!
Good luck and happy approaching :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)

:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending