Relative atomic mass Watch

e-n-i-g-m-a
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
RElative atomic and molecular masses are measured on a scale in which 12c = 12 excatly.. What does this mean and why is that relative atomic mass is said to be a more useful concept than atomic mass.. both of them are the same thing arent they ..i mean both refer to the number of protons and neutrons !!
e-n-i-g-m-a
help !!!!
RMIM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by e-n-i-g-m-a)
help !!!!
I'm not 100% sure, so maybe someone else can verify what I'm about to say.

I think the atomic mass refers to a single atom. I might pick up a single carbon atom and it might contain 6-Protons and 6-Neutrons. I would say it has an atomic mass of 12. I might pick up another atom with 6-Protons and 7-Neutrons. That would have an atomic mass of 13. (Both those atoms are naturally occurring isotopes of Carbon).

It's not useful because we never pick up just one atom of something. We pick up loads (mass in g X 6.022X10^23) and it contains a mixture of isotopes. Relative atomic mass takes into account these isotopes and gives a weighted mean (relative to 1/12 the mass of a carbon-12 atom). Atomic mass refers to a particular isotope only (not useful).
e-n-i-g-m-a
i dont get it !!!
RMIM
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont get it !!!
First of all do you know what isotopes are?
RMIM
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont get it !!!
First of all do you know what isotopes are?
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the relative atomic mass of an element is the weighted average mass of the atoms of that element compared to one twelfth the mass of a carbon 12 atom. Bascially carbon twelve is sued to compare everything The relative molecular mass is the sum of all the relative atomic masses of an elemtns constituted atoms. I suggest you try wikipedia or consult your textbooks for a better understanding. its quite straightforward really
iceman_jondoe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the relative atomic mass of an element is the weighted average mass of the atoms of that element compared to one twelfth the mass of a carbon 12 atom. Bascially carbon twelve is sued to compare everything The relative molecular mass is the sum of all the relative atomic masses of an elemtns constituted atoms. I suggest you try wikipedia or consult your textbooks for a better understanding. its quite straightforward really
rahmed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Naaaaaaaaaaaabid
rahmed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Naaaaaaaaaaaabid
iceman_jondoe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rahmed)
Naaaaaaaaaaaabid
cmpletely inappropriate for this thread i should have you warned *moves mouse and clikcs on bad reputation points*
iceman_jondoe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rahmed)
Naaaaaaaaaaaabid
cmpletely inappropriate for this thread i should have you warned *moves mouse and clikcs on bad reputation points*
SUSHI BOY
Report 13 years ago
RElative atomic and molecular masses are measured on a scale in which 12c = 12 excatly.. What does this mean
It is just like a benchmark for comparrison. Its purpose is to enable chemists and the like to be able to compare the weight of an atom with a known and respected weight. Say there was no benchmark, and nothing was "relative" to anything else, you wouldn't know what was heavy, what was light, etc... For example, when a person weighs themself, they only know that they are overweight because of a benchmark which has been set to tell them what the average weight is for their age, height etc. This sort of answers your second question as well...
SUSHI BOY
Report 13 years ago
RElative atomic and molecular masses are measured on a scale in which 12c = 12 excatly.. What does this mean
It is just like a benchmark for comparrison. Its purpose is to enable chemists and the like to be able to compare the weight of an atom with a known and respected weight. Say there was no benchmark, and nothing was "relative" to anything else, you wouldn't know what was heavy, what was light, etc... For example, when a person weighs themself, they only know that they are overweight because of a benchmark which has been set to tell them what the average weight is for their age, height etc. This sort of answers your second question as well...
radion
Report 13 years ago
i should think that just 'atomic mass' is measured in kgs (just like u need those of protons with e=mc2)
relative atmic mass is measured i think saying that mass of C12 = 12 amu
as it must provide the most exact value compared to others
J Darnley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
One atomic mass unit, u, is equal to 1.66E-27 kg (1.66*10^-27).

It is a convinient unit of mass when you are talking about individual atoms or molecules. You should remember that for molecules that weigh u, one mole of them will weigh u kg.

I believe that using these units will also allow you to calculate energy in eV without any conversions.
RMIM
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Do not confuse Atomic mass, Relative Atomic mass, Atomic Mass Unit and Mass.

The OP was right in saying they are similar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass

Not that it will help you will your original question - but it will show you Atomic mass is not in kg!! Atomic mass like relative atomic mass has no units.

That link claims "atomic mass" and "relative atomic mass" are the same thing. I'm not so sure if we are to believe the original question is valid. I think atomic mass does not take different isotopes into account but relative atomic mass does.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (280)
27.56%
No (736)
72.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise