This discussion is closed.
DSL
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi
We are trying to find some info on lipase digestion with and without bile salts! Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks DSL xx
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DSL)
Hi
We are trying to find some info on lipase digestion with and without bile salts! Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks DSL xx

If you think of the chemical breakdown of substrate using enzymes as a reaction, and by considering reaction theory, you will realise that the rate of the reaction will be dependant if the surface area of the reactants. Bile salts are responsible for the emulsification of lipids which means they will increase the reactant surface area. This means that the rate of enzyme digestion will increase; possibly I would expect a linear relationship between bile salts concentration and rate of lipid digestion.

Sudan III reagent can be used to test for the presence of fats, however I dont know if it's a quantitative test so may not be suitable.
s.ahmad3
Report 17 years ago
i did this very coursework for AS. basically, its all about surface area. greater surface area more likely collision between enzyme + subsrate, so more enzyme/substrate complexes so faster rate of reaction. bile emulsifies the lipid, increasing surface area. And always remember the control (water in this case).
DSL
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by s.ahmad3)
i did this very coursework for AS. basically, its all about surface area. greater surface area more likely collision between enzyme + subsrate, so more enzyme/substrate complexes so faster rate of reaction. bile emulsifies the lipid, increasing surface area. And always remember the control (water in this case).

Thanks!! But what about the method? We are not sure what apparatus to use! How did you do yours? C ya. DSL xx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (184)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (132)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (171)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.69%
Loneliness (101)
8.44%
Financial worries (40)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (64)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (106)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (108)
9.03%

Watched Threads