Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Climate change is not a political issue, but an issue which affects us all, fascist or liberal.

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    Climate change is an issue that neither liberals nor fascists can address, which makes it irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Global warming does exsist, but we have very little impact on it through emissions. It is vastly controlled by solar cycles and the sun.

As your no doubt aware, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes have all steadily increased, and this is to do with the suns increasing activity. It peaks in 2012, and began in 1987 (harmonic convergence). Its only going to get worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranksy)
    Global warming does exsist, but we have very little impact on it through emissions. It is vastly controlled by solar cycles and the sun.

As your no doubt aware, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes have all steadily increased, and this is to do with the suns increasing activity. It peaks in 2012, and began in 1987 (harmonic convergence). Its only going to get worse.
    Actaully due to the amount we emit through our industries, and the rates of deforestation that we incrue do actually affect global warming. The argument you have given is what Bush used tofollow, before it was announced that his old Environment Minister was working for Exxon, or some other oil company...

--------------

(Original post by Bismarck)
    Climate change is an issue that neither liberals nor fascists can address, which makes it irrelevant.
    Good point, but then what should be done about it?

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant to what?
    If the theories about how human activities cause or exacerbate global warning are even partly true then it is far more relevant to our future [or non-future] than anything else and we should address it at once.

--------------

Except that there is strong evidence that human activity can affect the weather on earth- most obviously through emission of greenhouse gases-, apart from the solar cycles and other factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nysh)
    Good point, but then what should be done about it?
    Hope that the weather cycle reverses itself before it's too late.

--------------

(Original post by Weejimmie)
    Irrelevant to what?
    If the theories about how human activities cause or exacerbate global warning are even partly true then it is far more relevant to our future [or non-future] than anything else and we should address it at once.
    If you had terminal cancer, would you spend your time looking for a cure or doing whatever else you usually do?

ReputationRep:
    Viewing global warming as a terminal disease is nonsense - we should be looking for ways to utilise renewable fuels and all that jazz. And an ordinary person isn't going to be doing this research, obviously, just as an ordinary cancer sufferer won't be one of the people who are searching for a cure for the disease.

ReputationRep:
    Free energy technology exsists....it has done ever since Nikola Tesla was around.

The reason why we are still using oil/nuclear? Because theres a vast money network connected to it. If energy were free, alot of people would lose out on money. Even the mafia and KGB have ties to energy production.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax)
    Viewing global warming as a terminal disease is nonsense - we should be looking for ways to utilise renewable fuels and all that jazz. And an ordinary person isn't going to be doing this research, obviously, just as an ordinary cancer sufferer won't be one of the people who are searching for a cure for the disease.
    You're assuming that human beings are the main reason for global warming, which is likely a bad assumption to make (which is not to say that they don't contribute to it, but the effect is likely fairly small). The earth naturally cools and warms up, which is why we had ice ages and hot spells in the past. Do you think humans were also responsible for global warming a thousand years ago? Fact is, until we find a way to control the earth's temperature (probably never), thinking about this problem is a waste of time, just like it's a waste of time thinking about an attack from aliens or from some large meteor.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that, over the entire world, something like 1.4 trees are grown for ever 1 torn down. Don't ask me to get a source cause i don't have one, but this is something i heard somewhere. Not sure if it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    I was under the impression that, over the entire world, something like 1.4 trees are grown for ever 1 torn down. Don't ask me to get a source cause i don't have one, but this is something i heard somewhere. Not sure if it's true.
    I doubt that's right, but even if this is true, it takes a tree at least several decades to grow, which means planting a million trees for every tree you cut down today isn't going to be of much help until those trees grow.

ReputationRep:
    You're assuming that human beings are the main reason for global warming, which is likely a bad assumption to make (which is not to say that they don't contribute to it, but the effect is likely fairly small). The earth naturally cools and warms up, which is why we had ice ages and hot spells in the past. Do you think humans were also responsible for global warming a thousand years ago? Fact is, until we find a way to control the earth's temperature (probably never), thinking about this problem is a waste of time, just like it's a waste of time thinking about an attack from aliens or from some large meteor.
    Humans are not the main reason for global warming: however it is only as long as the earth remains within a very limited range of temperatures that the human species can survive at all and only if there is even less variation that it can survive without an extreme population crash and the Collapse of Civilisation as we Know it.

--------------

I doubt that's right, but even if this is true, it takes a tree at least several decades to grow, which means planting a million trees for every tree you cut down today isn't going to be of much help until those trees grow.
    It's going to depend on the kind of trees planted- if ot's miles and miles of sitka spruce or eucalypus it will help global warming, according to some, but won't help biodiversity. In fact, as trees absorb carbon from the earth's atmosphere as they grow it would help there more than when they are fully grown.

ReputationRep:
    Global warming does exsist, but we have very little impact on it through emissions.
    Nonsense. The hot air emmitted on this forum is for example the single largest contributor to global warming.

ReputationRep:
    Climate change is political. Politics is just how we, as a society, choose to deal with issues - everything is political in the end.

ReputationRep:
    damn politicians causing a climate change, i say burn down downing street and hand over the UK to MRLP, who promise to burn anything political as to ensure that climate change is not due to political factors.

Vote MRLP

ReputationRep:
    how can you say its not a political issue? it affects the lives of billions of people world wide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niaya)
    how can you say its not a political issue? it affects the lives of billions of people world wide
    That's exactly what I mean. It shouldn't be a political issue, but be a general, global issue. It's something that's going to affect us all, so why should it be political?

ReputationRep:
    I think cliamte change is political why do think the government and the US are so interested in the climate? more Profit? or to win the people over?

ReputationRep:
    It's political, whether it exists or not. Global warming denial is the most politically incorrect opinion you could have these days. I like how people call it 'climate change' instead of 'global warming' now, especially after this summer.

There's always some issue to keep people hysterical that goes in and out of vogue, some since the 60s and 70s, but none of them ever seem to come to anything; sars, bird flu, mad cow disease, Y2K bug, peak oil, killer bees, anthrax, dirty bombs, WMD in Iraq...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamraiz)
    I think cliamte change is political why do think the government and the US are so interested in the climate? more Profit? or to win the people over?
    It has political connotations but don't try and claim that the US is behind it. Have you even heard of Kyoto?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.