Very, very painful neck Watch

Evenstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Owwch!
My neck is so stiff and painful, I can hardly move my head. Think I've slept funny on it, 'cos it was like this yesterday only not as bad. But today I'm in agony.
Does anyone have any suggestions to try and get rid of some of the pain (apart from painkillers, as obviously I've tried them already!)?
SianyLou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
this is one of the symptoms of mumps - if ur glands have swollen enough to restrict movement of ur head. get a wheat sack, heat it up and drape it round ur neck...heat helps to draw pain out if its muscular....also deep heat. it smells, but its sooo good
friendlyneutron
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think I know what you're on about - where you can only move your head a couple of inches to the one side and any more than that and your head kind of jerks back in pain - VERY SORE! I feel bad for you chuck. Try a hot bath and keeping a scarf wrapped round your neck, it should pass in a day or so
Evenstar
Rep:
?
Thanks for those suggestions guys - I will try them as soon as possible!
Wineblood
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had that once, but not because I slept funny. I'm used to cracking most of the joints in my body and one morning when I cricked my neck it was like : crack crack PAIN. In the end I figured out it was muscular and couldn't rotate my head much. Don't worry it passes, just takes a few days.
friendlyneutron
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Tis a right bugger though.
Evenstar
Rep:
?
It's amazing how restricive it is, just having a really painful neck. Even just sitting down, typing/watching TV etc. is so incredibly uncomfortable.
Michelin Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
mite just have pulled a muscle i did that once. medically speaking the best thing to do is to put ice on it and rest it
Evenstar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michelin Man)
mite just have pulled a muscle i did that once. medically speaking the best thing to do is to put ice on it and rest it
Well the resting bit I really have no choice about, seeing as how I can't move it! Hmm...the ice doesn't sound fun, think I'd rather go with the heat idea instead!
Michelin Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its not fun but it heals quicker as blood flow is restricted. Trust me the deep heat only numbs the pain but will make healing longer
Evenstar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michelin Man)
its not fun but it heals quicker as blood flow is restricted. Trust me the deep heat only numbs the pain but will make healing longer
Okay, I'll take your word for it amd give it a try. Thanks xx
Michelin Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
try and lie down as well to keep ur neck as straight as possible that helps
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
I get bad neck pain quite a lot because I seem to have lots of tension in my shoulder/neck. I have this thing that you heat up in the microwave and then put round your shoulders. It helps so much!!
Evenstar
Rep:
?
Right, I'm off to lie down and read so as to keep my neck still. Hopefully it will feel better in the morning. Oh, and have got my bloke to rub some pain relieving stuff into my neck as well, which made it feel a little bit better.
Thanks for everyone's advice. xxx
random123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Try this questionairre thing on the nhs direct website. I don't want to alarm you but a stiff neck can be a sympton of a number of serious things. Or you could've just slept funny on it, whatever.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/selfhelp...MrRE4MX0LZo%3d
caw123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Recently I jarred my neck and was in pain for a few days, at the worst I couldn't move my head at all without serious discomfort. The best thing that can heal it is time. Just rest and don't strain your neck and it should clear up within a couple of days.
SunburnedCactus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Joe_87)
Try this questionairre thing on the nhs direct website. I don't want to alarm you but a stiff neck can be a sympton of a number of serious things. Or you could've just slept funny on it, whatever.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/selfhelp...MrRE4MX0LZo%3d
That NHS thing is a hypochondriacs wet dream.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1205)
79.59%
Leave (309)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise