Turn on thread page Beta

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :( watch

ReputationRep:
    OK well I'm really not a happy bunny

I got in last night at around 12.20AM from an evening at basketball training.

I saw my mail for the day, yet to be opened.

So I opened it, and there was my medical form that had to be forwarded to Cranwell for their evaluation.

When I went for my first AFCO visit I had to tell them that I wear glasses and I hadto have a form filled out by my optician (considered I wanted to be a pilot)

Once this form was finished, I had to send it back to my AFCO, which they then forwarded to Cranwell.

Well, when I was at my optician gettingthat form filled in, she said to me some very positive things such as "You appear to have excellent vision... You should be good enough to pilot" etc.

But at 12.20 last night, the returned letter from Cranwell said that I have mild myopia, and therefore am "permanently unfit" to be an RAF pilot.

I sat there until 2AM with my head in my hands.

I couldn't believe it, my whole career plan has been wrecked before I even had chance to go for my filter interview!

I said to my parents this morning, it feels like I've fallen at the first hurdle before the race even started.

I'm gutted.

Very long post.

Please reassure a very upset and depressed 17 year old!

Sam

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you, I was in a very similar situation.

I originally applied for WSOp(Crewman). I was told all the way through the initial stages at the AFCO that my eyesight was fine. I got my appointment for my filter interview. Did some studying for it, got myself prepared and off I went to the filter interview. I was called through by the FltLt, me thinking it was for my interview, only to be told I can't go ahead with the interview as my eyesight isn't good enough!

I went home very deflated and disapointed!

It's not the end of the world though! I joined up as groundcrew, and have now been in a year and a half. I'm also looking at going for my commision at my 2 year point.

I know it's hard when you had your heart set on pilot, best thing is to move on. There's nothing you can do about your eyesight, as there wasn't with me. I know it's harsh, but it's true. You can still go in for another branch though. It may not be flying, but it's still the RAF officer lifestyle! Maybe you'd prefer the groundcrew side of things, even NCA Linguist. For linguist the eyesight standards are very relaxed compared to the others. All is not lost!

Take you time, think all your options through. Most of all keep your chin up and be positive!

ReputationRep:
    Dude,
    You have my sympathy. I'm really very sorry. Some things just aren't meant to be ... I know that don't make you feel any better. Now is probably the time to reasess your career plans. I'm sure there are opportunities for civvie flying and theres deffo other opportunities in the forces, just a shame you can't combine both.
    All the best fella.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

But I think I can safely still rule out a civvie lifestyle... I want to join the RAF no matter what... It's just now a case of going through my choices and finding another I want to (and can) do.

Bit hard though whenyou have your heart set on something

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem, I really really want to be in the RAF as an aircrewman (preferebly pilot but that is very unlikely) But alas, my eye sight isn't good enough...

However there is a glimmer of hope... I found out about these eye exercises you can do which supposedly make your eyesight much better and even make it perfect! I don't know if it really works but it looks quite promising. If you just google "the bates method" you should get a load of websites with info about it. One which was particularly interesting is www.rebuildyourvision.com the guy promoting it claims he wanted to be a pilot but wasn't let in, however after doing these exercises he managed to pass the eye requirements to be a navy pilot for the USAF.

I got a "teaser" e-mail which gave a few tips and an exercise called palming (which seems to work but I have only tryed it once, it basically makes your sight better for a few seconds after doing it, if you do it for about a month its supposed to make your eyesight permanently better) but to get the whole thing you need to buy a guide.

I am trying not to get my hopes up too much but you never know!

ReputationRep:
    where did you get that email about palming from? I might see if it's any good.

ReputationRep:
    www.eyeexercisesecrets.com, but if you search the bates method you will find a load of other info in how to do it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Sam-J-Jewell)
    When I went for my first AFCO visit I had to tell them that I wear glasses and I hadto have a form filled out by my optician (considered I wanted to be a pilot)

*snip*

But at 12.20 last night, the returned letter from Cranwell said that I have mild myopia, and therefore am "permanently unfit" to be an RAF pilot.
    Sorry to hear about it; but as my quote above shows, at least you should have known from the off that there was a very very good chance you'd be unfit. You could have been a little prepared for it.

Regarding branch choices, you should be perfectly fine for nav, or any other officer branch. Despite what some people may tell you through training, the life of a front line FJ pilot or nav is very similar. You'd still be able to get a full PC in as a GR4 nav if you joined now, and your chances of going down the FJ route are a great deal higher than your pilot mates; so there's no reason why you couldn't still fly.

Regarding the Bates Method, it's heavily unproven; and with glasses and a PMU tick on your form you'd be pushing poo uphill. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't hang your hat on it.

Palming, for those interested, involves relaxing somewhere and covering your open eyes completely with the palms of two cupped hands. You position them in such a way that no light whatsoever can get in, and the theory is that your eye muscles "relax" and enjoy not having anything to focus on. It's meant to be quite good for your eyes. There're other techniques like "sunning" and all sorts of things, and while there are testimonials that some people claim to have improved their eyes using it, there're also a lot of people who dismiss it as rubbish.

Try palming now anyway; cup your hands together as if you were trying to catch water, then put them over your eyes in such a way that no light gets in. Open your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    I take it that closing your eyes doesn't work the same way?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Nope, has to be open eyes.

Don't know if I believe it, surely it would be like lying awake at night with your eyes open? I do that all the time! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe that's why your eyes improved? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    I was skeptical but I tryed it anyway and to my suprise it actually worked!

You have to sit there for about 3-5mins and completly relax, after taking my hands away I looked at a book that was on my lap and could actually read the writing, it was quite clear instead of being like one big blur but after about a minuite my sight went back to usual.

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering this in the future:
    http://www.boks.org.uk/orthoker.htm
    I'll make sure that the RAF are happy with it first though. Plus if anyone's considering it so they can get pilot please contact your AFCO first, don't go ahead and do it. You may find that for whatever reason, the RAF aren't happy with it. You'll more than likely find it wont be - it's a new treatment and I doubt they'll have tested it at high altitudes and speeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Thinker)
    I was skeptical but I tryed it anyway and to my suprise it actually worked!

You have to sit there for about 3-5mins and completly relax, after taking my hands away I looked at a book that was on my lap and could actually read the writing, it was quite clear instead of being like one big blur but after about a minuite my sight went back to usual.
    I did it too and had the same result. Seems strange though, not sure what to think of it!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I'd know whether it worked for me... my right eye is so nearly perfect that it's just slight blurring at long distances that I notice, when I compare it to my other eye...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KSpin)
    I don't know if I'd know whether it worked for me... my right eye is so nearly perfect that it's just slight blurring at long distances that I notice, when I compare it to my other eye...
    *Is not jelous*

ReputationRep:
    I am! :p:

My career in the RAF as been hampered by my eyesight from the beginning!

ReputationRep:
    When I was 17 I took a tentative look at the Navy. When I took the form to the opticians she told me that my eyesight was OK but that I'll never be a pilot. Since then, other factors such as height and weight have pushed the dream of becoming a pilot further and further away.

At least I'll get the pleasure of telling pilots what to do as soon as they enter my airspace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    At least I'll get the pleasure of telling pilots what to do as soon as they enter my airspace
    Lol

After (eventually) accepted what's happened and speaking to my brother (already in the RAF, and an invaluable advisor to me!), it appears that Nav would be just as good a choice for me personally...

Right now, I'm just about to call my AFCO and ask if my Filter Interview be postponed a little to "give me a little more time to think my options through" because of this latest development.....

...... Also a sneaky way of getting more time to prepare myself for it

Sam.

ReputationRep:
    sweet dude. your eyes ok for nav? still deffo a great career and its still airborne. good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2005
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.