Plagarism - cheating? Watch

tommorris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wineblood)
I was told that, as a programmer, out of everything I will ever write, less than 5% will be my own work. The rest will be re-used code from somewhere else and slightly rewritten.
So I really don't know.
Stealing ideas/work without acknowledgement is cheating, but I'm all for the sharing of ideas so I wouldn't mind having my work being used by other people.
Not quite.
PHP Code:
include_once("class.snazzy-functions.php"); 
is equivalent to, in my humble opinion, putting a reference in - with the added advantage that you don't have to read what's on the other end, you just use the functions contained. And if you are documenting your code correctly, you'll point out the sources of the stuff you have used.

(Original post by Manatee)
Schools tend to be much more relaxed about this sort of plagiarism (as opposed to copying another student's work) but universities make a big deal out of it and insist that every idea which isn't your own is properly credited.
That is exactly the problem. If schools taught students at GCSE and A-level how to write proper academic essays rather than the faux-work they make them do, then we might not have so much of a problem at degree level. But, of course, it's far more important that we teach them that they're special and unique little bundles of joy and happiness and give them tai chi sessions every morning and drill them for their AS General Studies paper than actually prepare them properly for higher education.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by tommorris)
That is exactly the problem. If schools taught students at GCSE and A-level how to write proper academic essays rather than the faux-work they make them do, then we might not have so much of a problem at degree level. But, of course, it's far more important that we teach them that they're special and unique little bundles of joy and happiness and give them tai chi sessions every morning and drill them for their AS General Studies paper than actually prepare them properly for higher education.
:rofl:

Well said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (10)
37.04%
No (17)
62.96%

Watched Threads