The Student Room Group

how many hours of gcse revision?

How many hours of gcse revision are you doing per day? and per subject etc?
plleease say, feeling really stressed and behind! thanks

Scroll to see replies

I did 6 a day from the second week of easter onwards when i was doing em however i did at least 60% of the time on english as it was my weakest subject. Ended up with A* in lit and in lang so it paid.
Reply 2
Original post by gunner4lyf44
I did 6 a day from the second week of easter onwards when i was doing em however i did at least 60% of the time on english as it was my weakest subject. Ended up with A* in lit and in lang so it paid.

oh right, I just cannot motivate myself to revise english lit and lang... how did you do it????
It varies per subject, but I'd say no more than 4 hours a day, as long as it is good solid revision! Put more into the subjects you're not so good obviously, but the best thing to do is to see how much you have to revise for each topic and how long you have until exams. Aim to get it all done by a certain point (at least a week before the exam so you can go over it again) and then work out how many hours a day you need to do from that.
Put it this way, I'm now at A2 and minimum is 4 hours a day according to teachers, and I never do more than 5. Your brain has to relax as well remember!
Reply 4
Original post by jacksmyhero
It varies per subject, but I'd say no more than 4 hours a day, as long as it is good solid revision! Put more into the subjects you're not so good obviously, but the best thing to do is to see how much you have to revise for each topic and how long you have until exams. Aim to get it all done by a certain point (at least a week before the exam so you can go over it again) and then work out how many hours a day you need to do from that.
Put it this way, I'm now at A2 and minimum is 4 hours a day according to teachers, and I never do more than 5. Your brain has to relax as well remember!

Thank you!
Original post by itsizzyr

I think it really varies for different people.

Myself and my brother for instance study completely differently. When I study I tend to spend 20 or even 30 minutes every hour messing about, looking out the window, generally anything to avoid study. When he studys he just focuses 100% for however long he studies for.

He can only study for about 3 or 4 hours a day though, and I can normally manage about 6 or so - to be honest though he gets more done in those 3 or 4 hours than I manage in my 6.

So I think it's really difficult to put a hard and fast number on it, I would focus instead of having a plan for what you need to cover, and work out then what you need to get done each day to cover the whole plan.
I'm only revising like 40min-1hr a day and my first exam is in 12 days....

:P A* fo sho baby
Reply 7

Depnds on the individual, but more is always better :smile:
Reply 8
I only used to do a couple of hours a night. I think if you do to much then you dont take as much in because it starts frustrating you and makes you stressed. I say between 2-4 hours a night, do a plan and focus more time on your weakest subject. Make sure you have a ten minute break every hour! It will keep you focused!
Good luck :smile: x
oh right, I just cannot motivate myself to revise english lit and lang... how did you do it????

I know how much anything less than an A would hold me back in the careers i wanted to do
I'm only doing like, an hour every couple of days.. I wonder if I should be doing more. Oh well
Reply 11
Shouldn't really look at how much time you've spent, more so on how much work and revision you've actually done.

I remember making notes and them not going in. It's a waste of time but I counted it as "revision"
Reply 12
well because it is school and i don't get back till 5p.m i allow myself an hours rest and eat and start at 6p.m and finish about 10-11p.m...and on weekends i start about 12p.m and finish about 7p.m...
I'm really bad with revision :redface:
I can only manage 2 hours MAX a day before I end up exhausted/bored out of mind and de-motivated.

I'm in Year 10 (doing 8 exams in may/june) - are you guys year 11? :smile:
Reply 14
Jesus, what's with the 8 hour GCSE revision sessions? It's sunny outside you know...

I'm doing about 2 hours at most lol.
Oh good, so it's not just me?

Feel like the world's revision crazy atm :frown:
I'm just going to finish my Chemistry flash cards and then I'm off to watch a film xD
3-4 hrs, 5 days a week mostly science as I dont giv about English, and I 19 days to my first exam!!!:smile:
Reply 17
Revision is different for different people obviously, but there is no room for anyone doing less than 2 hours every school day and 4-5 hours at weekends IF YOU WANT TO GET GOOD GRADES!!! I know that for most pupils in the UK this is an outrageous amount of revision, but in other countries this is too little! Perhaps the lack of revision for MOST UK pupils is the reason why the average UK GCSE grade is a uninspiring grade E !!!! If any one of you wants a good career then A and A* need to be attained at GCSE and A-level otherwise your grades will disadvantage you. Good luck to all with the imminent examinations
**is a uninspiring E**

is an**
Thats kinda awkward...
depends on subject, maximum around 3 hours

Quick Reply

Latest