The Student Room Group

How long does a UK provisional licence last?

Ok, I've seen conflicting information on this. I'm in Ireland right now where I think it's 2 years and you have to do your test within that 2 years (so I'm told!). Basically it's an argument (Ok, more of a debate) with my mother about the UK provisional. My mum said about 6 months - I have given up having an opinion on anything at home, I'm just going to agree with everything, it's not worth the hassle as I'm not listened to anyway lol I have been told by others that it lasts for 10 years or until you do your test, whichever comes first. Is that right? It sounds a long time... I want to apply for the provisional soon but I'm just making sure it's not going to run out before I do the test.
Reply 1
10 years :smile: it gets swapped for a for a full licence whan you pass
Reply 2
I thought that - yay! I have vouchers for lessons but I want to get some basic lessons at home first with my dad so I'm not wasting money being taught easy things :smile: I want to get a job though before I start driving... it makes sense in my mind, honest! Thanks!
The licence itself lasts for 10years but you have 2 years from the date you pass your written test to take your practical. i think this is why people get confused. So once you do your written test you have 2years to complete your practical otherwise you have to redo the written.
(edited 13 years ago)
how long can you drive by law on provisional licence
Original post by ronald williams
how long can you drive by law on provisional licence

You can't drive by yourself...........but you can with learner insurance in a car with someone with a license for 3 years beside you. As stated above the length of the license is 10 years.
Reply 6
I have had mine since 03 does this mean I have to apply again for a new one
Reply 7
Original post by Ibbyd81
I have had mine since 03 does this mean I have to apply again for a new one

This thread is from 2011... don't gravedig threads.

If the expiry date on your licence has been reached, yes, you need to renew it.

Latest

Trending

Trending