How long does a UK provisional licence last?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Sprockette
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok, I've seen conflicting information on this. I'm in Ireland right now where I think it's 2 years and you have to do your test within that 2 years (so I'm told!). Basically it's an argument (Ok, more of a debate) with my mother about the UK provisional. My mum said about 6 months - I have given up having an opinion on anything at home, I'm just going to agree with everything, it's not worth the hassle as I'm not listened to anyway lol I have been told by others that it lasts for 10 years or until you do your test, whichever comes first. Is that right? It sounds a long time... I want to apply for the provisional soon but I'm just making sure it's not going to run out before I do the test.
natt5253
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
10 years it gets swapped for a for a full licence whan you pass
Sprockette
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I thought that - yay! I have vouchers for lessons but I want to get some basic lessons at home first with my dad so I'm not wasting money being taught easy things I want to get a job though before I start driving... it makes sense in my mind, honest! Thanks!
Khaysha-Saine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The licence itself lasts for 10years but you have 2 years from the date you pass your written test to take your practical. i think this is why people get confused. So once you do your written test you have 2years to complete your practical otherwise you have to redo the written.
ronald williams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
how long can you drive by law on provisional licence
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ronald williams)
how long can you drive by law on provisional licence
You can't drive by yourself...........but you can with learner insurance in a car with someone with a license for 3 years beside you. As stated above the length of the license is 10 years.
Ibbyd81
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have had mine since 03 does this mean I have to apply again for a new one
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ibbyd81)
I have had mine since 03 does this mean I have to apply again for a new one
This thread is from 2011... don't gravedig threads.

If the expiry date on your licence has been reached, yes, you need to renew it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed