AQA computing CPT3 Village hall coursework Watch

teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If youre doing it in Access, you need a record level validation rule because it involves more than one field. This means going into the properties for a table and creating a rule.

You need to be able to work out what day it is
Create a rule which says an extension must not be true if the day is not Friday and the day is not Saturday

Access will then apply this to every record in the table.
sonu9
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Just remember that customers can book the hall for the whole day, not just one time.
TheSandwichMan
Report 12 years ago
Can they??? I didn't know about that. Oh well I suppose they will just have to book all the slots for that day then
mattneck
Report 12 years ago
Hi all, jsut had to sign up for this thread, i've jsut been handed the documents and that relating to this, realising it's aobut 3 months alter than anyone else!

I've worked access with a VB GUI last eyar doing terrys turkeys but missed a lot of evidence (45/90) and have eben told to do it all in access this eyar as im starting late as a retake, have just compelted my A2 project and now im totally stumped by this, reading through, everyone seems to ahve a different idea to me as well, anyone got any starting advice in a nutshell form everything in this thread so far?

cheers

matt
TheSandwichMan
Report 12 years ago
well to start you might want to consider planning things like the fields in your files and such forth.
jamey
Report 12 years ago
This is how I've chosen to implement the Village Hall project...

Instead of the "normal" Microsoft Access route, I have chosen to use a more open set of software to implement my solution: a web-based system coded in PHP with an SQLite database.

Our teacher told us to look on the FAQ supplied by AQA, which actually made it a bit easier for me, since I had initially planned to implement features in more complex ways than required. For example, there is no requirement to allow amendant or deletion of bookings.

I am using the following database schema:

bookings

• id (integer)
  • customer_id (integer)
  • fee_id (integer)
  • date (ISO date format, see below)
  • event_title (text)
  • paid (boolean)

customers
  • id (integer)
  • name (text)
  • address (varchar)
  • telephone (varchar)
  • email (varchar)

fees

• id (integer)
  • name (text)
  • cost (float)

The ID fields are primary keys. The date is stored in international ISO format: YYYY-MM-DD, e.g. 2006-01-01. The fees are as follows: morning, afternoon, evening, evening with extension and special evening with extension.

I have chosen to have four pages: a calendar allowing easy viewing of booked days/slot, a page to display a selected day's bookings, a page to add new customers and a page to add new bookings.

The hardest part so far was to write a clean function to create a calendar for any month/year, aptly named generate_calendar(). I then got it to link any days that have bookings so that the treasurer can view them.

Although I probably won't mention much of it in the documentation, I think this sort of solution is far more reliable, sustainable and extendible than the proprietary, rigid, closed Microsoft-type routes. My solution could easily be set up on any modern computing platform: Windows, GNU/Linux, Mac, Solaris etc. It uses free software too!

What do you think of it, any suggestions, recommendations or questions?
mattneck
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by TheSandwichMan)
well to start you might want to consider planning things like the fields in your files and such forth.
Note fact I've done all this before

Ive got Bookings customers and sessions, which it seems is the wrong idea now as everyone has billing not sessions, could be a good shout for me to start over and overhaul it, im not doing this in a lesson either, its totally off my own accord which doesnt help..

Regards,
TheSandwichMan
Report 12 years ago
Yep billings is what you need, however, as my teacher has told me over and over again, the billings file does not have to be part of the system, because apparently Access can't handle it and crashes
mattneck
Report 12 years ago
currently i have mine setup with the sessions one to be called from the bookings, and the bills are defined in the bookings as paid yes/no, extension yes/no and special yes/no.. so this you recommend going about a different way?
TheSandwichMan
Report 12 years ago
yes you dont need a sessions file, because the sessions booked should be in the booking file.

I recommend that you have:

-Customer File
-Booking File
-Billing File

And I'm also having a lot of trouble with syntax errors in that validation rule which I enquired about a few days ago, so any extra help on that aprreciated
mattneck
Report 12 years ago
Wicked, this probably sounds quite silly me aksing these thigns consiidering vie done both years now, but, the A2 does take it out of you admittedly.. so, if i use the databse layouts that people have used here, as publically available, and pretty standard, its not cheating/plagiarism(sP?)

Regards,
teachercol
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its is cheating and plagiarism to use ANYTHING that you havent produced yourself without acknowledging the source in your report.

btw I know that examiner's look at this site!
mattneck
Report 12 years ago
Sorry, put that across the wrong way i guess.. Following the idea though, of the entities and that, and the various content (of which I dont intend to be the same, i have an idea from my A2) i can quote this forum as a source of help etc?

Regards,
TheSandwichMan
Report 12 years ago
I dont see why not but dont take my word for it wait until someone else asks
mattneck
Report 12 years ago
Booking(BookingDate, Session, ContactID, EventName, Extension, Special, FeePaid)
ContactDetails(ContactID, Name, ContactAddress1, ContactAddress2, Postcode, E-MailAdd, TelNo)

Current idea there, removes my sessions table, but implementation of the bill is now gonig to be my next case in point..

Regards,
TheSandwichMan
Report 12 years ago
yes that works fine
teachercol
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You'll probably need another table giving details of the fees for each session.
TheSandwichMan
Report 12 years ago
unless that goes in the booking file
teachercol
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But what if you wanted to change the fees?
Alamothih
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
shoot them in the foot.

^_^

Anywho, im stuck on reports. I mean ive gott hem and there working and loevly and pink flowers and stuff :P

But i want it so that in my report i have the name of customer and their details at hte top, and underneath is EVERY booking they made, and at the end i shall enter some VB to do a total cost thing. Makes it look neater and tidier for accounting. And as i do accounting im pedantic about this lol
My system atm has the customers name at the top and one booking under neath for every single booking, so ucstomer A with 5 bookings has 5 invoices, i just wanna cut them down to 1.

Thanks if anyone knows how to do this and replies, is much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise