Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how do you do the date validation if u have a calendar??? I have the code as calendar.value = dateofevent.value but because the dateofevent has the validation in it the calendar cant equal the date if i press the date on the calendar, how do i get around this??? this is the only thing i have left to do...
    Also how has anyone got the percentage usage for each week? i have some ideas at the moment just wandering how other people are doing it..

ReputationRep:
    [Repeat Question] How are most people tackling the percentage usage, total fees, occasional bookers bills, next weeks booking list. i.e. via use of queries or VB coding or a mixture of both?

Grateful for any replies ....

ReputationRep:
    Oh Dear =[ This Coursework has to be the hardest thing I've been set in ANY lesson. To start with I came to Collage 8 weeks late and missed everything on VB. I've never done any Computing or IT before Collage. I'm now expect to create a Database in VBA. Impossible? Yes. Short of someone doing my work for me I don't see how this can be done.

ReputationRep:
    k, i wouldnt say its hard. but it is beyond the scope of some people when it comes to the maths. its mind boggling. Im doing my entire project in vb using SQL, so my life is slightly easier. Ive got a giant loop that increments the day of the month select from 1 to 31 then i format$() the date. something like this
    Code:
    dim i as integer
    dim date as string
    dim day as string
    i = 1
    while i <=31 
    date = i & "/" & calendar1.month "/06"
    day = format$(date, "ddd")
    if day = "Mon" then
    add one to monday....and so on
    thats for the total. then for whats booked i call an SQL statement to the database calling for every booking in a certain month. all the dates are stored in there and i just format each date getting the day of the week. once again i do a huge if loop adding numbers together and sticking it in list box's. once done just do simple maths to work out the percentage.

this idea took our class of 4 a fair amount of time to think about because of all the problems such as 7 days in a week, not each month begining on monday, not every month having perfect weeks. very confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Will I be awarded more marks using a calender? I'm just having the date get typed in when you book.

12/02/2006 etc

ReputationRep:
    There arent any marks for the quality of the solution. Anything that works is OK.

ReputationRep:
    I've been struggling with this peice of coursework in Access for a while, before a few weeks ago I started the whole thing again in something I understand. Unfortunately for me the only thing I understand in QBasic (because my lazy-ass teachers didn't get or teach us VB and I'm not buying it myself). In all fairness, I've coped much better.

The date validation is pretty easy in programming. You just need to store the date of the next day which is the beginning of a week (I elected Sunday to be the week beginner, because the first day of the year 2006 was a sunday and that makes my life a whole lot easier). So it's a case of counting ahead until you reach a Sunday, then setting LowDateLimit as the date you found + 7 and the HighDateLimit as the date + (7*8):
    IF Bookingdate > LowDateLimit and bookingdate < Highdatelimit then bookingokay else bookingnotokay

As for knowing how many days there are in a month, you'll want to store the number of days in an array
    Array NDays(1 TO 12)
    data 31,28,31,30,31,30,31,31,30,31,30 ,31
    FOR a = 1 to 12: store data in NDays(a): NEXT a
    Of course, this doesn't account for leap years. So thank God that 2006 is not a leap year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey people
    im also doin the village hall project,
    just wondering what reports and queries do i need to produce
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I've implemented this to try and validate between the two extension and special rate boxes and make sure they are only on the weekend..

Private Sub Extension_AfterUpdate()
    If Val(Weekday.Value) = 6 Or Val(Weekday.Value) = 7 Then
    SpecialRate.Enabled = Not Extension.Value
    Extension.Enabled = Not SpecialRate.Value
    Else
    Extension.Value = False
    MsgBox "Extensions only available on Friday or Saturday nights."
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub SpecialRate_AfterUpdate()
    If Val(Weekday.Value) = 6 Or Val(Weekday.Value) = 7 Then
    SpecialRate.Enabled = Not Extension.Value
    Extension.Enabled = Not SpecialRate.Value
    Else
    SpecialRate.Value = False
    MsgBox "Special rates only available on Friday or Saturday nights."
    End If
    End Sub

But every time it runs my Else? anyone any idea?

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the Village Hall at the moment using Access and have to say it's harder than Tod's Tyres looked (we looked an example of that before starting the VH).

I was wondering if someone could confirm the date of the exam? Is it the 17th of May? Does anyone know when the other exams (CPT1 & 2) are?

ReputationRep:
    How the hell do we do the percentage thing?

I'm stuck.

Please help? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    try not to use a calendar, if u do make it visible cuz i cant get my date validation to work when it dissappears and reappears.
    How do you put usernames and passwords on things in the database and.
    cheers for any help

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! :tsr2:

I am pretty much stuck as well...:p: . but when you're doing the percentage usage thing should you also calculate the % usage of evening extension slots??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkA)
    I'm doing the Village Hall at the moment using Access and have to say it's harder than Tod's Tyres looked (we looked an example of that before starting the VH).

I was wondering if someone could confirm the date of the exam? Is it the 17th of May? Does anyone know when the other exams (CPT1 & 2) are?
    yup 17th May is the correct date! Infact its my first exam! :eek: ...In my timetable CPT1 & 2 are on the 8th of June...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisname)
    yup 17th May is the correct date! Infact its my first exam! :eek: ...In my timetable CPT1 & 2 are on the 8th of June...
    Thanks. I think that clashes with my Physics practical exam. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, new to this stuff..but was wonderin if any of you can help would be eternally grateful if u can....ive been doin this village hall stuff fora few weeks and got nowhere im completin it im doin it in access and just wonderin if thes tables look good to any of you..or if there something i need to do to improve them..
    So ive got three tables atm..

tblCustomers
    customer ID
    Title
    First Name
    Surname
    Company
    House number/Name
    City
    Town
    Postal code
    Phone Number
    Email Address ...........Thats the easy one!!!!

tblBooking
    BookingID
    customerID
    Event Title
    Date
    Booking Session
    Special
    Fee DUE
    Fee Paid

.....not sure about this table..does it make sense??? and contain all the information it needs?

tblSessions
    SessionID
    BookingID
    Session
    Total

....is this table right and does this make sense? PLEASE HELP!!!

Please Help thankyou!!!!!!! Lucy

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! You all seem to be stressing a bit on your coursework about how to do the impossible (or at least very difficult!) Well some kind person posted up this link a while back, to help you but just incase you didn't see it or weren't bothered, here are some official hints and tips from AQA:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NB Candidates should remember that humans can form part of a system and human interaction may solve a particular difficulty.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are candidates required to automate the entry of the regular bookings?

No, this is not necessary.

In the original system the specification states that a booking sheet shows twenty one booking slots at a time; would students be expected to mirror this in some way?

Only in that ‘A list of bookings for the next week is to be placed on the Village Hall Notice Board.’ (19.3.5)

What was intended by:"....the percentage usage, including regular and occasional bookings, for each weekly slot...."

The percentages required are the number of bookings compared with the number of sessions available for each slot e.g. Wednesday mornings in February would have 100% usage

Is a month meant to be a calendar month and therefore students have to take account of the complexity that in some months are 4 Monday’s and in others there are 5?

Either is fine but 4 weeks is easier to deal with.

Regular bookings need to be recorded – is this just for the purpose of showing those slots as having been booked already?

Yes this is correct.

Occasional bookings need to be recorded by the system, with the presumption that the customer will be new each time?

Yes the candidate can record new details each time, or use previously recorded details as there are no instructions either way.

The manual, page-per-week diary already in use by the Village Hall personnel does not need to be reproduced by the system, having been supplanted by the week report?

Yes this is correct.

The students have been asked to create a computer system to replace "the current manual booking and billing system for OCCASIONAL bookings" however we have been given a lot of details about regular bookings and I am unsure about how much processing we should be designing to deal with these. Do we assume these are entered and stored via a different booking system and the students processing only has to deal with them in terms of showing on a weekly booking sheet and in the usage of statistics ?

Yes, this is correct.

The details give of the Village Hall don’t mention amending or deleting bookings, whereas Terry’s Turkeys scenario last year did. In a real world situation you would have to include processing to amend/delete bookings...but do we assume that because it isn’t explicitly mentioned we don’t have to do it?

Because this has not been specifically mentioned in the brief there cannot be any questions on the CPT3 written paper that ask for evidence of completing these tasks in the examination.

The scenario asks for validation to ensure bookings are made at least one week in advance. It also says they need to have testing for January and February 2006. If students are not building the system before January the validation will stop them entering any data for January. Our students have only just started their design and will not be ready to implement until the end of January?

If this is a problem choose another 2 month block.

General Questions on CPT3

How should the documentation be organised?

As can be seen from the specimen practical exercise and previous papers 2001, candidates will be asked to indicate where, in their documentation, they provided evidence that they have covered certain points.

Documentation must therefore be succinct and clearly laid out. The documentation requested is limited to ensure that about 20 pages is a maximum and we would expect less. Candidates will not have time to search their own documentation for the relevant reference if it is very much more extensive. It should be as brief as possible while including evidence as listed above. The use of a body text point size of more than 12 simply increases the number of sheets required, which makes for increased postal charges to the Centre!

The first page should be the Practical Exercise Cover Sheet which must be completed and signed by the candidate and the teacher.

Pages must be numbered, preferably in a position that is clearly visible when the documentation pages are tied together, and a contents page would be helpful to the candidates. The purpose of the numbering is to facilitate the candidate and the examiner finding the required evidence. It should therefore be sequential from start to end, not subdivided into sections. If the pages are not numbered, examiners will NOT have time to search through the documentation for the references.

What should be included in the documentation produced by candidates?

Documentation should cover only the points specified in the brief. There is nothing to be gained by the candidates including more than these points in their documentation.

My students using this practical exercise as a practice for their project next year. Can they include all the documentation they have produced?

No. We expect many centres to use this as a practice, but candidates should extract only the required documentation for this exercise.

Will candidates need to copy material from their documentation to answer questions?

Candidates should answer the question fully in the space provided. They should read the question carefully, as many will be asking for ‘how’ or ‘why’ rather than the ‘what’ that is likely to be recorded in the documentation. This is to enable candidates to demonstrate that they understand their solution.

What happen if a candidate fails to bring his/her documentation into the exam?

A candidate MUST hand his/her documentation with the Unit 3 question paper. Failure to do so will mean that the examiner will have no evidence that the candidate has completed the Practical Exercise. The examiner therefore will be unable to award those marks which are directly dependent on that evidence.

It is suggested that the teacher makes a photocopy of the documentation once the candidate has completed the Practical Exercise. The copy should then be given to the candidate for revision purposes. The teacher can then authenticate the original and give it to the candidate as he/she enters the examination room. It can then be used and referred by the candidate during the exam and handed in with the question paper at the end of the examination.

Suppose the documentation becomes separated from the unit 3 question paper?

The question will have a hole at the top left–hand corner, so it would help if the documentation and Practical Exercise Cover Sheet were similarly punched. Please include the candidate’s name and number and the centre number in the footer of the documentation.

Simply tag the documentation and attach it to the question paper. DO NOT spirally bind it OR place it in plastic sleeves!

Teachers and candidates are reminded, however, that questions will be based on both evidence from the candidate’s report on the practical exercise and knowledge, skills and understanding acquired from studying Modules 1, 2 and 3.

What is the situation if a candidate wishes to re-take CPT3?

The usual rules regarding re-talking/re-sitting AS/A2 units apply. However, centres should be aware that CPT3 is NOT available as part of the January AS examination series. If a candidate wishes to re-take CPT3, centres should also note that the summer examination will be based on the new scenario for that summer’s examination. The candidate’s report on the practical exercise will therefore have to be based on that examination’s scenario and thus will involve the candidate in new preparatory work.

Taken from http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/comp_faq.html

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain how to do if statements? (NOT in VBA)

ReputationRep:
    well, its the same in VB?

in access its IIf(expression, true, false) to nest it you would use IIf(expression, true, IIf(expression, true, false)) jsut add the IIif to the false each nesting

Reagrds,

ReputationRep:
    double II?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.