Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've finished the whole thing, the database and write up. Unfortunately, with the test table, all my code, and screenshots (which were ALL cropped) the thing ended up being 70 pages.

If you need help on the write up, go here: http://vle.heatonmanor.newcastle.sch....phtml?d=16353 and click on the Past Papers/Projects > Terrys Module 3 Booklet which gives a complete guide for last years project (but everything you need for ANY project)

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering... who has finished their porject???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatpotter)
    Just wondering... who has finished their porject???
    Meh - I've got a fully working program, just the design and testing need sorting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Pascal ( )
    Ouch, our College was using Pascal up to around two years ago, but thankfully switched over to a little more "usable" (:p:) language.
    Oh, i'm a literally as we speak printing off my code and my testing results right now and then i've completed it.

ReputationRep:
    You know in the specification it says "percentage usage, including regular and occasional bookings, for each weekly slot"

Does an evening extension count as a slot?

ReputationRep:
    I've had 2 weeks to do this and guess how far I have got...

...Nowhere!

Could somebody wrap up a few pieces of major coding I will need to do in Visual Basic? I'm using a Data Connection between Access and VB.

Going to get all the 'before programming' documentation done by the end of tomorrow but I really need to get some form of working program complete by the end of next week (Definetely going to spend all of Wednesday and Thursday working on it).

I've had this coursework in the back of my mind, since I have had to prioritize other coursework before this (A2 subjects). And I guess this coursework is basically me writing my own exam, so I can't blame the examiners if I struggle with CPT3!

ReputationRep:
    Hi....i think i may have an anser for percentages...

if anyone has done the email thing, we should talk!!!

i have msn.

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eese:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    hello...I am really finding this project difficult. Would someone please help me with :
    . Having a weekday in a field
    . Help me with the booking in advance feature (i dunno where to put it, in a query or field validation rule)
    ...if someone can help me on those two point, i think i would be able 2 find some sort of solution with my project. Thanx

ReputationRep:
    For the percentages, i ended up making a query for each day, containing the sum of booked slots for each one.( e.g. 1 morning, 2 evening, 2 afternoon.)
    So i ended up having 14 queries. (Regular and occasional). I then made 14 reports, one for each query, and made a label with a percentage formula in it. (like: "= slotcounttotal/4*100) AQA doesn't mind if you take it as every month having exactly four weeks so thats why its divide by four. There will only be four monday morning slots, monday afternoon slots, mon evening slots, tuesday morning slots.....etc in one month. For the email thing, you'll need to make a macro. Just type email into help (access) and you should find out how.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    All it says in the brief about an email system is that (paraphrased) "he is planning to have some sort of email system in the future, candidates should bear this in mind" i.e. that does NOT say candidates should provide a solution for this. "Bear this in mind", to me, means that all you need to do is include the email address as a field in the bookings table. They would have said if they'd wanted something more; you don't need to do a mail merge (unless you want the extra work).

And 14 reports?! Is that not a little inconvenient in the system? I have all the percentages in one report...

ReputationRep:
    guys do we need to find a code that repeats all the regular bookings for the whole year??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatpotter)
    guys do we need to find a code that repeats all the regular bookings for the whole year??
    I have a database nto fully working but getting there, is there a way to run a macro to enter the regular bookings?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to solve the % thing.. only problem I got now. Im
    using Access

ReputationRep:
    even though they say bear it in mind, i think you'd get a few extra marks if you can get the email thing to work. creating the macro is easy anyway. Mine just sends a snapshot file of a report by email. It automatically opens up internet, goes to my yahoo compose - attach files with the location of the file alredy there, and then i just have to attatch the file, enter an email address and hit send. Which is similar to just hitting print screen and sending the picture by email. For the percentage thing, just make some queries and link the results into a report so it all looks nice. thats what i did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesyzombie)
    even though they say bear it in mind, i think you'd get a few extra marks if you can get the email thing to work. creating the macro is easy anyway. Mine just sends a snapshot file of a report by email. It automatically opens up internet, goes to my yahoo compose - attach files with the location of the file alredy there, and then i just have to attatch the file, enter an email address and hit send. Which is similar to just hitting print screen and sending the picture by email. For the percentage thing, just make some queries and link the results into a report so it all looks nice. thats what i did.
    I don't get you

I don't think they mark the actual project, don't they just mark the exam paper and that is your grade for CPT3?

Meaning there is unlikely to be a question such as 'show where you have implemented a email macro'

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt lose sleep over the email macro. AQA suggest to keep it in mind, they will ask something along the lines of how you can modify your system for email. The best way to design your system is to keep it as simple as possible.

ReputationRep:
    They didn't say "you need to implement email" so they couldn't ask you a question on where you've put it. They could do one on "how would you add an email functionality to your system" - I've put an email address field in to cover for this possibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosstitute)
    Just thought i'd fire up my effort. A fully VB front end with an access backend. Jet sql comm. Check it out:
    OMG, Your Great man, The Interface Owns

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    i've finished the coursework and now i'm doing the write up. I think mine will end up to be like 20/25 pages so i'm just wondering around how many pages is it suppopsed to be and how many pages all yours are?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.