AQA computing CPT3 Village hall coursework Watch

michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jamey)
Out of interest, how many people who are working on this project have chosen to complete it in an "alternative" way? As in, not completing it in the "usual" Microsoft Access approach.

I've chosen to use only free software to develop and create my solution, it's been quite amusing watching others suffer for the lack of intuitiveness and general usability in Microsoft Access - it seems even the most simple tasks are confoundingly difficult.

Even though some people are jokingly suggesting to post our entire projects, why don't we share them once the exam is over? It would be interesting to see how other people completed the task set.
Well i dont know how inventive our approach was, but at our college we used Visual Basic only, we never even spoke of, or touched Microsoft Access during our project. I think regarding your last suggestion it would be a great idea to at least trade projects to see how we each interpretated parts of the specification and implemented the Village Hall Committees requests.
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wasnt taking the piss out of the forum, merely this thread. Its full of people asking for code. How about you research the area and write it yourself? I understand if its something specific but like just posting an error message is pathetic. Thats why we have the debug tool.

And Im not surpised teachercol has decided to help, as Im making the assumption that he is a teacher.

Anyway, instead of asking things: I did my whole usage part in 3 lines of code (for each slot). So 3 lines of unique code. Theres really no need to go to town and write a book on it.
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lapsaJ)
I wasnt taking the piss out of the forum, merely this thread. Its full of people asking for code. How about you research the area and write it yourself? I understand if its something specific but like just posting an error message is pathetic. Thats why we have the debug tool.
Was that directed at me? Because if so i dont believe i ever questioned your presence within this thread.
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by manutd2k)
now thats quite silly ...takin the piss outta the forum LOL.
Am on a role. I have done Everything possible for the project now. AM Just doing the write up trying 2 follow it as accurate as possible.
(Original post by irfan121)
All you people are * ***s, none of you except Teachercol help out. ** * y'all
lol Im not directing it at you, quite the contrary - Just noticed your post. So Im not the only one who thinks this thread is a piss-take.
coolspice
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hey Guys

could ur ll tell me which will be a good method to do the designs either hand drawn or done through the computer. Also will AQA accept hand drawn designs.

Pls help
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They prefer hand drawn ones.
mynameisname
Report 12 years ago
hey guys! i hope we've all finished all the programming bits ...I have..all that is left is documentation..which i hope i can finish within 2 days! ..The exam is Next Week Wednesday 17th May :eek: ...and also this thread was really useful for me..thanks for all the fantastic help..but i've decided to drop Computing Next Year heheee...too much stress! :p:
Worsel
Report 12 years ago
What kind of tests have people done? I have completed seven so far, I probably need to do more.

Any examples. Or a basic outline you follow to carry out various tests?
sonu9
Report 12 years ago
@Teachercol

My date field is as shortdate format (e.g. 02/02/2005), I want to use a date in the QBE but with the month and year only.

Since other people have separate fields for Day, Month and Year. Mine is all in one. So I am unable to do that QBE.

Unless you know a way of only displaying the month and the year.

Do you get what I mean?

Please Reply, ASAP, Thanks.
TOSCS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does anyone here have a little bit of time to talk to me over MSN? Preferably someone who has done this with Access and has completed the documentation process.

I don't want your solution, just a bit of help with the documentation and stuff!

PM/Email me ASAP please!
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sonu9)
@Teachercol

My date field is as shortdate format (e.g. 02/02/2005), I want to use a date in the QBE but with the month and year only.

Since other people have separate fields for Day, Month and Year. Mine is all in one. So I am unable to do that QBE.

Unless you know a way of only displaying the month and the year.

Do you get what I mean?

Please Reply, ASAP, Thanks.
There are functions such as month(), monthname() and year() which will extract the month(1-12), and year from the date.

You really shouldnt be usung separate fields!
cheesyzombie
Report 12 years ago
Hey everyone. I hope you all realise that the exam is in one week. Thats SEVEN DAYS (lol, the ring) from now (Wednesday 17th). If you cant get the program to work, just make it look like it works in the documentation. Focus on the documentation as we have to take this into the exam room and refer to it in the questions. Make sure the pages are numbered and there is a contents page. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
(i have a damn french oral exam tomorrow...........)
willowking
Report 12 years ago
Please are there any mock exams out there that I can have a look at?

Thank you for your posting Michaelbenson - a great help.
Chazmers
Report 12 years ago
damn retaking A/S from last year due to failing big time on terrys turkeys and now finished the database , but still have over half the documentation to do. ooo memories of last year lol, but hopefully if i put my butt in gear i can get a good grade and then drop it at the end of the year
jamey
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by HeadShock)
can i ask what program you have been using?
I'm not using a program per se, I've coded it in PHP and linked it with a relational database, using SQLite (a database library built into recent versions of PHP). This has the added advantage in that it can be run on just about any platform since all you need is a web browser and web server with PHP.

(Original post by michaelbenson)
Well i dont know how inventive our approach was, but at our college we used Visual Basic only, we never even spoke of, or touched Microsoft Access during our project. I think regarding your last suggestion it would be a great idea to at least trade projects to see how we each interpretated parts of the specification and implemented the Village Hall Committees requests.
Sorry, I actually meant solutions created using Microsoft applications, such as Visual Basic, Access or Excel. You're inherently stuck on one platform and usually locked in to their proprietary formats, just a preference I have.

I've nearly finished coding my project, it'd be great to trade projects after the exam. I'll start a new thread in this forum titled "Share AQA CPT3 Village Hall project solutions", what do you think?
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jamey)
I'm not using a program per se, I've coded it in PHP and linked it with a relational database, using SQLite (a database library built into recent versions of PHP). This has the added advantage in that it can be run on just about any platform since all you need is a web browser and web server with PHP.

Sorry, I actually meant solutions created using Microsoft applications, such as Visual Basic, Access or Excel. You're inherently stuck on one platform and usually locked in to their proprietary formats, just a preference I have.

I've nearly finished coding my project, it'd be great to trade projects after the exam. I'll start a new thread in this forum titled "Share AQA CPT3 Village Hall project solutions", what do you think?
I think lets be honest it has become progressively harder to do anything Computer related without interacting with a form of Microsofts products. I have got some more CPT3 questions for everyone too, my teacher has just told us we are going to get two every day (bar Thursdays, well, give the servant one days break at least :P)

Here are todays:

1. This question relates to the INTEGRITY and SECURITY of data in your solution.

a) Clearly it is essential for your data to be accurate. Describe one technique which might be followed to improve accuracey on data entry.
b) It is also essential to keep your data secure against unauthorized access. The data files could be password protected with strictly defined access rights. Describe two other techniques which might be followed to improve data security.
NB: Regarding these questions we arent specifically provided with a mark scheme, since they are completed within class. Therefore i will post the answers to these questions in the next post.

EDIT: I am in full support of trading our projects are the completion of our examination. Which is now just one week away
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Answers to the above question, oh and don't see this as the definitive mark scheme for these questions, i am merely reciting answers from memory and from what i have written down too! :p:

1. a) These should be easy marks. Verify and validate booking information (command promt, re-entry etc ... )

b) The program/computer could be password protected. Stored in safe location. Use of a firewall. Data encrypted.
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What would be interesting, is to see screenshots of peoples programs (the main bookings page or whatever. In my eyes, design is everything :p:. Obviously the code is the most important, but in reality if it doesnt look - I wouldnt use it.

Ive attached mine. I bet that some of you, or even most of you will think its awful...but as you might have guessed, orange is my favourite colour so I thought Id make it all pro-orange

Edit: Better explain it so you know whats going on. Ive done most of the things on one form as you can see. When you click on a date on the calendar, if there is a booking it will show up in the textboxes in the corresponding slot. If there isnt, then the "Add Booking" buttons will be enabled for valid dates. You can add, edit, delete all from that form. The little print icons are to print: {C - Customer Bill} and {T - Treasurer Bill (for village hall records)}.

When you click 'Search' next to the customers textbox, it brings up the customers form which Ive also attached. Thats where you can search by either Forename or Surname, or both. Then when you find a customer you click attach and it copies the customer ID to the textbox in the correct slot.

Let me know what you think!
Attached files
MattyK
Report 12 years ago
Hey all, I am looking for a bit of help with my CPT3. I have pretty much finished my system all I now need is for the 'special occasion' bookings to only be able to be made on a Friday and Saturday. I also need to do the total profits made and statistics part. Can anyone tell me how to do these things on Access?? I am willing to give someone my email address for MSN in hope that someone will be able to help me.

I have also done most of the paper work on just imagining how the system will be. All that needs to go in is the screenshots etc and some of the remaining bits
willowking
Report 12 years ago
Hi

I finished my system weeks ago but have since spent so much time on the documentation. It is just growing and growing so out of control that I'm now concerned that the exam board are going to penalise me for destroying a small rainforest! How much have you got? My main part is 50 pages long and then the appendices with program code etc etc take the total up to 130 pages! Is this about right?

We have an absentee computing teacher who has not given any help/advice what so ever. That is why I'm desperate to get some idea of what next Wednesday's exam will be like and would really appreciate any mock exam questions people have.

Any advice on length of coursework please - I think I need to do a rather drastic pruning job.

Cheers
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?