Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    Thats cheating

wt do u mean, if peoples bruvas r helping them, then wats that!! i need some guidance sir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nishanmru)
    no man 25 sheets max, if u cant listen to a simple instruction that is keep it with 25 pages AQA aint gona b happy.
    It's 20 not 25. Personally I can't see why the hell they would have a problem with more than that number of sheets. Yes they'll have to post it around the place etc. but lets face it they can afford to post a few more extra sheets. I'll still be writing down page references for all my answers so they can find the page just as easily as anyone who is within the 20 page limit... maybe just an extra second here and there flicking through pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamey)
    I don't think so, I think it's become progressively easier to move away from doing everything in and based around Microsoft software. In the past two years, there has been a massive push for the use of free and open source software - and a lot of negative media towards Microsoft's security issues, slow updates and perpetual waiting for the "much better, new and improved" version of Windows.

I found it so much easier to complete my project away from my college; they use the typical Microsoft Windows XP domain setup that thousands of schools and colleges use across the UK. There are few privileges allowed, prohibiting me from developing my project at college. I need a web server with PHP, the Internet connection is far, far to slow to do anything at a manageable speed and I can't run the web server locally due to their setup.

Anyway, when I first started developing my project, I simply popped my Ubuntu Linux CD into my spare computer and installed it. Then I ran Synaptic and installed the Apache web server and PHP 5. About 10 minutes later I was developing. Although this is comparable to, say, developing in Visual Basic, it is in no way as satisfying.

I just wish the exam boards promoted the use of alternatives so that not everybody used similar software from one vendor to create their solutions to the project.

Woah, I plan for my documentation to be as concise as possible. I only have two pieces of programming left to do: display a list of next week's bookings and create an automated insert routine for the regular bookings (I know, it's optional but I want it).
    I think it is far to assume that the vast majority of candidates for this examination will not be making use of any internet based programming, keeping firmly stuck with Microsoft Access and Microsoft Visual Basic (You see the pattern :P) Oh by the way your first and last paragraphs are sort of a huge contradiction. You claim that there has been a "massive push to promote the use of open-source software", yet examination board aren't doing enough to promote their availability?

I think you are once again making another large assumption, just because you have got a rather detailed knowledge of the current media assumptions with regards to the advent of the new Windows Vista program, security vulnerabilites of the code and the overall stifling of competition which Microsoft have often been accused of doesnt mean that the rest of UK candidates do either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelbenson)
    Mine is 60 flat. Sharing my code shouldn't be a problem, unless no one has an available copy of Visual Basic to read the code then they will have to be content with viewing my documentation and planning only.

Wow, it is really quite interesting to see everyones individual take on the specification and their application. My program uses alot more holding pages for navigation purposes, and for example, my end user would only be presented with one "Add Booking" form, and merely select the appropriate Session via a listbox, and be promted with Evening Extension information if their select date was a Friday or Saturday.
    Does my method look any good? My teacher seemed confused when I told him what I'd done - he hasnt actually seeen my project lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m00c0w06)
    It's 20 not 25. Personally I can't see why the hell they would have a problem with more than that number of sheets. Yes they'll have to post it around the place etc. but lets face it they can afford to post a few more extra sheets. I'll still be writing down page references for all my answers so they can find the page just as easily as anyone who is within the 20 page limit... maybe just an extra second here and there flicking through pages.

but why would they say 2o pages and want u to go do 100 pages they aint got time,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m00c0w06)
    I'm wondering how many pages everyones final documentation is? Mine is 100 pages and I'm not even finished yet :s I'm kindof concerned since the AQA FAQ says 20 pages tops. What happens if I take like 100+ sheets in with me... will it still get marked? My teacher says it will.
    Yeh over 20 pages is fine I think it means 20 for just the implementation bit but as I've got design, test plan, testing evidence, print outs etc mine's 172 lol:P it is big but they still have to mark it as all they have to do is flick to the right page which you've given them in an answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt)
    If you have a question in the exam which asks for a page ref and you don't have it, but then the followup question is "How did you ensure this was unique" etc will you still be able to score a mark if you state a correct method of keeping data unique? Or do you need the reference to get the follow up question?
    As I understand it you don't get the marks of a follow up question if you don't give the correct page reference in the previous question.

ReputationRep:
    Thats right. You have to get the first marks to get the second. A lot of folk lose a lot of marks simply because they give the wrong page. Examiners will NOT look on any other page than that given.

@nisahnmru Asking for folk to post or send solutions is not allowed by the board or by this website. I dont mind answering specific technical questions about Access or about how I interpret the question. Ashing a bruva is cheating too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lapsaJ)
    Does my method look any good? My teacher seemed confused when I told him what I'd done - he hasnt actually seeen my project lol
    It looks pretty much excellent to me. Although i dont quite understand where one can print out their booking receipts and monthly summary report detailing percentage usage and total money takings.

ReputationRep:
    one question about visual basic code, answer needed tonight or its useless to me as im handing in my project tomorrow

anyone know how to do if one text box = somthing and text box 2 = somthing then.......

e.g.

i have tried if [Text] = "hello" and [Text1] = "bye" then blabla

but i get error expecting goto or then but i want and!

edit my computer does not have office help on it and i cant install it *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    There are functions such as month(), monthname() and year() which will extract the month(1-12), and year from the date.

You really shouldnt be usung separate fields!
    No, I'm using separate fields for the sessions. But ONE field for the Date.

And I cannot do the percentage with one date field for some reason.

The reason why I Have used spearate fields of the sessions is because then say they want to make a booking for more then one session, it just add up the total.

Really need help with statistics, I have tried everything you said I still can't get it to work.

ReputationRep:
    If (Text1.Text = "hello") And (Text2.Text = "bye") Then
    Msgbox "Blah"
    End If

(Original post by michaelbenson)
    It looks pretty much excellent to me. Although i dont quite understand where one can print out their booking receipts and monthly summary report detailing percentage usage and total money takings.
    They click the printer icon to print a booking - this copies the details to the clipboard, opens up Word, pastes it in, saves it as the Booking ID, and goes to print preview. All from the click of one button .

The usage and takings are on a different form too (the screenie I gave is an old version with no link to usage etc).

ReputationRep:
    i have done everything and am proud. my pages was 57...if u need help just pm me...anywayz. if a question relates to the DESIGN, do we refer to the DESIGN section of our write-up.

ReputationRep:
    ok guys i`ve got another one for you. i`m trying to make it so that i the date is sat or sun the option to add an extension is made invisible. dunno how to specify the date used by this is the one that i have in the date field on the form. form is called evening, field is caled DateE. dunno if it's even possible. if not..any other suggestions??

Dim LWeekday As Integer
    LWeekday = Weekday(???, vbMonday)

If LWeekday = "6" Or LWeekday = "7" Then
    chkextension.Visible = True
    Else
    chkextension.Visible = False
    chkextension.Value = 0
    End If

thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a definitive list to what needs to be in the documentation

We got a ZigZag booklet but it makes note of IPSO charts etc and I'm pretty sure AQA don't require these for example?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smaua)
    ok guys i`ve got another one for you. i`m trying to make it so that i the date is sat or sun the option to add an extension is made invisible. dunno how to specify the date used by this is the one that i have in the date field on the form. form is called evening, field is caled DateE. dunno if it's even possible. if not..any other suggestions??

Dim LWeekday As Integer
    LWeekday = Weekday(???, vbMonday)

If LWeekday = "6" Or LWeekday = "7" Then
    chkextension.Visible = True
    Else
    chkextension.Visible = False
    chkextension.Value = 0
    End If
    Code:
    Dim dayofweek As String
    dayofweek = Format(calViewBookings.Value, "dddd")
    If (dayofweek = "Friday") Or (dayofweek = "Saturday") Then
        chkExtension.Enabled = True
    Else
        chkExtension.Enabled = False
    End If

See, I can be in the remotest bit helpful aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Thx labsaJ that helped a bit.

Also i read many of you have done lots of pages and my class was told no more than 20 pages is allowed so someone who has produced 100 pages and is allowed them in the exam in my opinion has an unfair advantage :mad:
    anyone have a veiw on this?

ReputationRep:
    hey! just found this forum n thought i'd post as im doing the CPT3 exam...next wednesday! aghhhh! i'm really worried they are going to ask me about something i havent put in my documentation!! anyway has anyone done a systems flowchart in their documentation?? i teek u what, i HATE testing...!

Laura xx

ReputationRep:
    uu..sweet it works! thanks a remotely bit lapsaJ!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

iv almost completed the project and am just finishing the screenshots for the evidence, just wondered do the forms have to be in design view or not???

thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.