Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Well how do I go about making forms or queries? I mean I've made all this stuff before but I am still really crap and new to it at the same time...

Any links with websites would be good, I need some serious help.

My teacher explains things in a useless mannor that doesn't help atall!
    what are you doing that project in?

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone doing this project in VB?
    I'm doing it in PHP-GTK with an MS-Access backend - just wanderin if anyone else's taking a similar route...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob.)

i however have experience with PHP/MySQL setup so have started some work on that.

my question, is that combination acceptable to the board? and also, will i be able to use the same combination in A2 or need to use somthing else? i was told that in the past you couldnt use a database both years, the spec seems to indicate this is no longer valid?
    So will you do it in Access, or purely PHP/MySQL?

It shouldn't make any difference to the exam board what (if any) programming language you do it in, as long as you show the required elements, such as the validations and processing included in the specification. If you do your project in a less common programming language, just make sure that you include lots of clear comments explaining what each piece of code does. This will demonstrate that you know what you are doing, as well as being good programming practice. To be brutally honest, it doesn't even matter for CPT3 whether your system actually works! All the examiner sees is screen shots and coding, so as long as you have evidence of these and can reference to it in your documentation, you are fine! This isn't the case for CPT6 however!!!

You can use a database for both years! If not, I'm not the only person out there who is in a lot of trouble! In the not so distant future however, the exam board want to cut out the use of databases completely so that the difference between Computing and ICT A Levels is much more defined. What has been removed is the ability to use a Spreadsheet package, which used to be allowed but is no longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Rob, good layout for starters, mines pretty similar.

I got another question on this, do we have to provide step by step pictures to accommodate the documentation? Or do we just take pictures when we have finished?
    You don't need to include a step-by-step implementation diary, as in ICT. Basically you show "hand"-drawn designs, and then screen shots of your finished forms etc. If the design has changed, then annotate on the screen shots what has changed and why. Doing a step-by-step just takes up too much time and space!

ReputationRep:
    For people who are stuck on the documentation, here is a list of things you might like to include for the Analysis and Design sections:

ANALYSIS:
    - Introduction - Who is user? A little about them
    - Identification of the Problem - Why do they want a new system? (can make it up if it doesn't say anything in the specification!!)
    - Feasibility Study (Optional) - Technical, Economic, Legal, Operational & Schedule Feasibility of implementing a new system (if you do this, you MUST come to the conclusion that a new system is feasible, otherwise you wouldn't be able to continue with your project!!)
    - Methods of Gathering Information - "If the user was a real person, I would gather information about the current system by....." e.g. Interview, Questionnaire, Observation, Studying current documentation
    - Data Flow Diagram (Go through various levels - USEFUL WEBSITE: http://facweb.cs.depaul.edu/yele/Cou...0Mechanics.ppt )
    - Consideration of Possible Solutions - Paper-based Solution, Database Solution, Programmed Solution (Compare advantages/disadvantages of each method including speed, cost, previous experience, availibility, user preference (N/A for this project), cost, etc)
    - Chosen Solution (Justify why out of each of the considered solutions you chose the method you have NB DO NOT choose paper-based, it is a computing course!)

DESIGN:
    - Definition of Data Requirements (aka Data Dictionary) (table including field name, data type, length, range/validation, default value, example)
    - User Interface Design - HAND DRAWN: Menu Hierarchy (if using a menu structure), Form Designs, Output form/report Designs
    - Processing Design (Pseudo code showing stages for all processing)
    - Methods of Data Entry, including Validation (can include a column in Data Dictionary instead)
    - Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD showing only main entities, no link tables!!)
    - Normalisation (outline stages of normalisation from un-normalised data, 1NF, 2NF, to 3NF)
    - Normalised ERD (ERD showing link tables (if any), including fields with Primary Keys and relationships between tables)
    - Table Design (Data Dictionary split into tables, include a description of each table, indentify all primary and foreign keys, required fields etc.)
    - Security and Integrity of Data (Incl Physical Security e.g. locked office, System security e.g. passwords, User accounts, Validation/verification techniques, Backup/Restore Strategy etc)
    - System Design includes the following:
    - Inputs, Processes, Storage and Outputs (IPSO diagram)
    - System Flowchart
    - Data Flow Diagram (showing data flow around proposed system as opposed to current system)
    - Objectives (VERY IMPORTANT!!! Must have good objectives! Makes testing & Evaluation very easy!)
    - Acceptable Limitations (anything which you have assumed/user has specified is acceptable not to include in the system e.g. for clicking a button "Mail merge" have instructions on how to perform rather than the button automatically performing the mail merge)
    - Test Plan (Include testing of all validations)

Hope this helps a little! It probably looks a lot, but once you get started it isn't that much, you will find you have thought about most of it already anyway (or should have done at least!)

ReputationRep:
    has anyone thought of security, its what we have been working on recently and i have a log in window which supports multipul users

ReputationRep:
    my project will be purely PHP/MySQL

i think i comment my code pretty well... my comments are more prompts though, maybe i could explain what acually happens a bit better.
    php isnt really uncommon anyway, so its easy to follow

cut the use of databases completely!? thats crazy talk :P

security; i might add a member/login system to my project if i run out of things to do, but its beyond the spec and not really needed IMO.

ps. attatched some screenshots of what ive done so far... (over the weekend! im such a geek ;D)

(Original post by butterflyz88)
    So will you do it in Access, or purely PHP/MySQL?

It shouldn't make any difference to the exam board what (if any) programming language you do it in, as long as you show the required elements, such as the validations and processing included in the specification. If you do your project in a less common programming language, just make sure that you include lots of clear comments explaining what each piece of code does. This will demonstrate that you know what you are doing, as well as being good programming practice. To be brutally honest, it doesn't even matter for CPT3 whether your system actually works! All the examiner sees is screen shots and coding, so as long as you have evidence of these and can reference to it in your documentation, you are fine! This isn't the case for CPT6 however!!!

You can use a database for both years! If not, I'm not the only person out there who is in a lot of trouble! In the not so distant future however, the exam board want to cut out the use of databases completely so that the difference between Computing and ICT A Levels is much more defined. What has been removed is the ability to use a Spreadsheet package, which used to be allowed but is no longer.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Sorry when I say cut databases, I mean they want it to be purely programmed, so you won't be able to use packages such as Access

ReputationRep:
    you could still use a database though via a programming language?

i understand why they would want to stop people using purely Access

ReputationRep:
    ive changed my tables around and made a quick simple ERD

that look about right? just thinking about it, the customer can be a person OR a society. hmm

starting on the documentation now (id rather do most of that before i finish the implementation/interesting side of things!)

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd share a few screenshots myself.
    It's pretty obvious I've still a hell of a lot to do, but we've only had the assignment since Friday.

ReputationRep:
    PHP-GTK eh, never tried it but certainly looks interesting

i got the assignment thursday, started it saturday morning ^_^

Raving Tuppaware Party, haha, nice one

sharing is caring anything inituative about your db strucutre you want to tell us?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I started this Project this week, seems quite tricky, Im using MS Access Database for this, Has anyone created a Design/Data Specification? If somebody has, can you please how what is included.

Thanks
    Nizzex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob.)
    anything inituative about your db strucutre you want to tell us?
    It's in MS-Access *shudder*
    Nuff said... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just signed up for this thread tbh :P:

Well basically we started not long ago,and our class is working as a class to explore the different methods of tackling hte booking system

After much planning and drafting I think we have agreed on using 3 tables:
    Booking(BookingID, CustomerID, Event Name, date, Period, Week, Day, Repeat, Extension?,Reg/Occ)

The Primary Key is BookingID, and foreign key is CustomerID and Period.
    The period is time of day, and the week is the week of hte month, i.e. 1st week or 2nd etc. The day is hte day of the week it is on, and hte repeat is how many weeks until its repeated.
    THis was our solution to the every third tuesday of the month (it hink that was it?)
    So we would enter 2 for the day as its tuesday, 3 for week as its the 3rd week,then 4 for repeat as its not repeated for a month afterthat.

Is this functional? a better way to do it maybe?

the regular/occ is there so that if they select regular it willopen up the menu for the day theweek the repeat etc, and if they select occasional it will open up hte Date space so they can select a one off date. Also this will help to flag up which to work out costs for, as we do not calculate costs on regular bookings.

Our other tables are:
    Cost(Period, cost)
    we decided this could be in a seperate table rather than hard coding as it allows for versatility in hte software and for us to update easily. (incase thats a Q in hte exam )
    oh and Period is obviously the primary key here

And our third is
    Customer(CustomerID, Name, Address1, address2, address3, address4, postcode, Email, Phone Number)

Email is there because it said we can bare in mind expansion into bills via email, therefore we have catered for that part of the specification.

So far thats most of the information i can give you, except ER's and such but they arent useful tbh.

So i am asking does this look clear? useful? easier way maybe? lol

We have been given the choice to do it purely in Access, VB or Delphi.
    I am totally new to programming an hte little experience i have had is in delphi for about 5 lessons, so i would prefer to use Access and Delphi tbh.

Is this a good idea? ive heard SQL mentioned a lot but beats me if i know how to use it lol.
    All access seems like there is a lot of factors we can miss which could get us the full marks, so backed by delphi looks a good idea?
    I have VB at home though so may do that, as classmates are too, makes it a bit easier. Anyone got VB tutorial site??
    or where to get delphi cheap :p:

Anywho any replies or help useful!

ReputationRep:
    One potential problem is storing date, day and week as separate fields.

What if they disagree? Which is right?

Basic rule:never store what you can calculate.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I would like to create a composite key to prevent double bookings e.g. using session and date.
    Does anyone know how i could do this??
    I'm using VBA, do i need some coding or can all be sorted out in Access?
    Any help would be great
    Thanks xXx
    Also, I have a field called 'Date' does anyoe know how to make it automatically set to todays date?

ReputationRep:
    OK Guys, I am so worried about this coursework lol.

I'm in the same class as Alamothih (Who left a comment above) and what I'm doing is worrying me.

I havn't even started implementation yet, and I have no idea of how to go about doing it.

I don't know anywhere near any programming languages, and Its just gonna be the shocking.

Well, thats a lie I know some delphi, but this seems too advanced.

Is there any way you can do this simply in Access?

ReputationRep:
    yes - my class are doing this entirely in Access.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

I have spoken to my teacher about this today, and it seems we arn't struggling as much as we previously thought.

Mr A Rules

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.