Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    of course they grow back! if your friend still hasn't got any eyelashes then she's obviously still pulling
    its shorter than a few months every two to three weeks id say
    and its not a rational thing, trust me i'm a pretty normal person (well i think so anyway!) and its not something you can think through and go ok today i'm not going to do it, in my head i'm going no don't do it but i just carry on
    quite pathetic really...

ReputationRep:
    it def exists. it got pretty bad for me last year. then i stopped. but now i've started again. (ok, that's worry i just pulled at my hair as i thought of what to write)
    i pull at my hair tho, and it seems so weird that people would pull out their eye lashes (wow, that seems hypocritical...and it is)

ReputationRep:
    I used to pull the hairs in my fringe out wen i was a kid. Was kind of satisfying in a way. But ive stopped now because my hairs short and i cant grip it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Girl Red)
    Yeah, I used to....crazy ey?!! Lol I started by pulling out the hairs that have all the kinks in them - if you feel your own hair, there are loads of smooth ones and the odd one that feels all kinky and when you pull it out it randomly twists and turns in loads of directions. So I just got kinda addicted to pulling them out, like when you bite your nails, it was quite soothing. Then for some reason I started getting scabs on my scalp so I used to pick them too and then my hair would come out with the scab and I would pull out some more hair and so on....
    It wasn't really that serious for me, just a bit of a random compulsive habit which is completely sorted out now.
    That is EXACTLY what I am going through now.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody experience any social problems or mental problems that may be linked with this disorder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess Ana)
    That can't be true. I was under the impression it was a few months or so.

EDIT:

A google search has backed me up here:
    http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content...age?d=20040106
    http://www.cyh.com/Archive/NewsDetai...id=1874&np=250
    http://www.medhelp.org/forums/dermat...ges/31394.html

However, one result did suggest that they only grow back that quickly if they fall out naturally - which might explain why I still have eyelashes, and your friend doesn't
    They only grow back quicker when eyelashes fall out naturally BUT if you intentionally pull them out, eyelashes follicle will be damaged and will never grow back
    http://www.medhelp.org/forums/dermat...ges/31394.html
    Should read the whole thread and every post, the second to last post stated that 'pulling out your eyelashes will permanently damage the follicles and they WILL stop growing back'. I agree with that because not just eyelashes, i found that plucking stray eyebrow hairs regularly reduce the growth of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_lucie)
    i made a thread about this, i used to but ive stoped now.
    how did you stop?

ReputationRep:
    there was a grl in my year at school who did it really really badly - she was nearly cmpletely bald apart from a few patchy bits of hair and even those were only a couple of cm long. and her whole head was covered in scabs. it was pretty sad actually. she was like that for the whle of school at least (7 years) not sure what happened to her after we left - hopefully she's getting better

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thought that this thread was going to be about having slightly rough sex?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.