Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Civil service work experience/internships
Last edited by RK; 3 months ago
aeterno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What's your socio-economic background? (You don't have to answer this here :p:) Because the internship allows candidates who are EITHER from an ethnic minority OR a low socio-economic background (basically if you're entitled to the full maintenance grant).

Check on the Civil Service website for any jobs you can do on a temporary part-time basis - they're mostly admin type jobs (which you would be eligible for at the moment) but it's something.

Even if you can't get any work experience that's specifically with the Civil Service, try to get some sort of political experience - take a look at this site
tc92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The joys of "positive discrimination"....

My parents both work in the Civil Service and have said they get some work experience people in over the summer, but not in the sense of a proper internship programme. It may even be worth just looking up the phone number or email address of a specific department that interests you and see if you can get anything from them. With the cuts and civil service's desire to do everything on the cheap, I'd imagine they'd be happy to let someone work for nothing.
greenglitter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i was in a similar situation as well - but ive got a placement for the summer within the civil service by firing off ridiculous amounts of CVs! it is unpaid and I cant afford it but from my perspective I cant afford not to. my weekend work will not halfway cover the train, but experience will be invaluable.
good luck!
Greg1989
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have a look for existing threads such as 'civil service fast stream 2011 competition' and there are ones from previous years as well. Tons of information in all of them about what other applicants have done. You dont necessarily need civil service experience to get in though, i passed the HR fast stream (from what ive heard the assessment process is the same for almost all the fast streams) for it and now im just waiting to here where I will be placed and all the work experience I had was working part time as a head steward at my students union They assess more your competencies than where you have worked so its more important to focus on those I would say
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aeterno)
What's your socio-economic background? (You don't have to answer this here :p:) Because the internship allows candidates who are EITHER from an ethnic minority OR a low socio-economic background (basically if you're entitled to the full maintenance grant).
They gave a six week internship to Princess Eugenie in the FCO, so perhaps add a third category of royal connections
kates:)
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by OrmondDrone)
They gave a six week internship to Princess Eugenie in the FCO, so perhaps add a third category of royal connections
Probably because her Dad is the Special Representative for UK Trade and Investment...helps to have the right connections, eh :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (21)
18.58%
I'm not sure (2)
1.77%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (32)
28.32%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.65%
I'm not a current university student (55)
48.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed