AS Psychology: Helping Behaviour Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hello...

I'm stuck on the 'rationale' part of my essay. I'm doing an experiment on how gender differences affect helping behaviour, by having a male and female pretend to drop oranges on the street and seeing who gets more help picking them up by the public. I have to write 8 sentences for the rationale, specifically, about WHY I was interested in this topic. So far I have come up with 2 sentences about how it is *interesting* to see if discrimination, especially sexism, still exists in today's modern society.

Can anyone give any ideas?

Of course the truth is I'm doing the experiment because it is compulsory, but the guidelines says I have to give some evidence to support some theoretical thoughts. Hmmm...difficult!

THanks...
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
You could have a couple of sentences which say something like "Bob's experiment (2000) showed that there were no gender differences in helping behaviour, however, the experiment lacked ecological validity. However, the recent study takes into account......thus increasing the ecological validity." Or if you have a replication or an extension/adaption of an old study, you could always mention this a reason for doing the study. Replications help to test the reliability of results. Adaptions can produce clearer results. Extension help add extra detail to previous studies. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Helen Brownsell
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi

My friend and I are doing the same experiment but with a folder full of loose paper. Basically, we are doing what the other person suggested and are using previous studies and trying to see if our results correlate. The study we are attempting to locate is someone called Batson, but we have no idea if he is relevant. Any ideas as to who conducted better, more relevant experiments?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i know it's been a little while since this was first posted, but if anyone wants examples of experiments in gender altruism, the specimen coursework EdExcel have on their website is an example piece on just that. it's the A grade example too which means that there'll be good examples
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.52%
No (459)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (157)
20.77%

Watched Threads