Watch
This discussion is closed.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
To be fair we have probably used these countries to become richer in the past though.
Agreed. I mentioned this aspect of it because it seems, as usual, that the government may not have considered (or perhaps have but chosen not to mention it amongst all their other rhetoric) the implications of losing income despite paying out for EU members' higher education.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Is that right? I didn't think EU students were entitled to loans from the UK government.
I thought that to. I know that non E.U countries like Norway give grants so that they can afford to pay the huge tuition fees in England.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Like I said you are black listed for a ceartain time. Thats why entrepenuers who become bankrupt are able to become successful again do so.

If you are earning a wack, no bank will turn you down.
Well, in my experience it can actually be difficult to earn a whack if you are a bankrupt as it can in fact affect your employment prospects. Try getting a job as VP of a bank with a bancruptcy on your credit report........good luck!

But, let's suppose you are correct and that "no bank will turn you down" You'll still be looking at a sub-prime rate and a greater downpayment.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, in my experience it can actually be difficult to earn a whack if you are a bankrupt as it can in fact affect your employment prospects. Try getting a job as VP of a bank with a bancruptcy on your credit report........good luck!

But, let's suppose you are correct and that "no bank will turn you down" You'll still be looking at a sub-prime rate and a greater downpayment.
You didnt read my first statement properly. I said you get a job that your happy with id est a high paying job first before you declare yourself bankrupt. Your employer is not going to sack you.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Is that right? I didn't think EU students were entitled to loans from the UK government.
I have posted the web item relating to EU students receiving help with top-up fees etc. See what you make of it.http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...134350,00.html
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Apparently if you leave this country for after graduating the Student Loan Company will scrap your outstanding debt!
Thats completely wrong you have to arrange to pay it off. Sheck the SLC sites FAQ!!
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Like I said you are black listed for a ceartain time. Thats why entrepenuers who become bankrupt are able to become successful again do so.

If you are earning a wack, no bank will turn you down.
If you register for loads of credit cards and then declare yourself bankrupt all your assets will be taken away, including those credit cards.

No matter how much you earn, the cheaper loan and credit card companies will always turn you down if you've been bankrupt. You might be able to borrow from big banks but you will have to pay a lot of interest for the rest of your life. Considering the really cheap deals you can get with a good credit rating, this will waste you a lot of money in the long run.

You also have to declare that you've been bankrupt in the past on many job application forms and current account applications etc.

It might be possible to get a low rate from an understanding bank even if you have been bankrupted, but don't count on it.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Thats completely wrong you have to arrange to pay it off. Sheck the SLC sites FAQ!!
No I think she is right. It will be under the same rules that allow people living outside of the country for 7 months a year not to pay any income tax.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I can't believe anybody of graduate calibre would consider declaring bancruptcy over what?.........$15k........unbeli evable.
oh dear... it really is a shame there is no sarcasm font on here... cos yeah, I'm REALLY gonna make myself bankrupt! :rolleyes:
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
If you register for loads of credit cards and then declare yourself bankrupt all your assets will be taken away, including those credit cards.

No matter how much you earn, the cheaper loan and credit card companies will always turn you down if you've been bankrupt. You might be able to borrow from big banks but you will have to pay a lot of interest for the rest of your life. Considering the really cheap deals you can get with a good credit rating, this will waste you a lot of money in the long run.

You also have to declare that you've been bankrupt in the past on many job application forms and current account applications etc.

It might be possible to get a low rate from an understanding bank even if you have been bankrupted, but don't count on it.
Your wrong.

Like I care anyway.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You didnt read my first statement properly. I said you get a job that your happy with id est a high paying job first before you declare yourself bankrupt. Your employer is not going to sack you.
OK. But, I've got to say that despite your example of bancrupts bouncing back to become sucessful entrepeneurs (and there are a lot of them) but many more spend their miserable lives renting an apartment and driving clapped out cars.

I also have a moral objection to the bancruptcy solution to one's debts. It means that someone else has to pick up the tab.

A friend of mine managed to run up an astonishing $50,000.00 on credit cards, paying for furniture, vacations, a new car, home improvements, ballet lessons for her kid, etc. She's now decalared bancruptcy. Now, who is going to pay for it? You can bet that VISA don't actually write this **** off........they pass it on, through increased interest rates, and penalties to other card holders.

This leaves me and many others paying for somebody else's fiscal irresponsibility. Which actually pisses me off.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
oh dear... it really is a shame there is no sarcasm font on here... cos yeah, I'm REALLY gonna make myself bankrupt! :rolleyes:
OK! Gotcha!
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No I think she is right. It will be under the same rules that allow people living outside of the country for 7 months a year not to pay any income tax.
Do I need to make repayments if I go abroad?
Yes. You make your arrangements to repay direct to SLC. You will need to provide us with evidence of your income for the financial year in order for us to determine whether you need to make repayments and advise you of your repayment schedule. Contacting SLC

http://www.slc.co.uk/frames/faqs/fset.html
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes. You make your arrangements to repay direct to SLC. You will need to provide us with evidence of your income for the financial year in order for us to determine whether you need to make repayments and advise you of your repayment schedule. Contacting SLC

Fair enough. I doubt they would catch up with you though.
yawn1
Rep:
?

Yes I know it says that on their website but apparently there is something in their smallprint that says if you emigrate your loan is scrapped after 5 years - or so I'm told!

SLC has a new "Protocal" software system for online student loan system. It has been dogged by hiccups and there are fears that students will not be getting their payments in time for new uni year!
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Yes I know it says that on their website but apparently there is something in their smallprint that says if you emigrate your loan is scrapped after 5 years - or so I'm told!

SLC has a new "Protocal" software system for online student loan system. It has been dogged by hiccups and there are fears that students will not be getting their payments in time for new uni year!
It isnt true my friend has been abroad for 5yrs on the old stylee loan and is paying hers back.

Also the bankrupcy thing will be illegal soon.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Your wrong.

Like I care anyway.
Which bit am I wrong about?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Which bit am I wrong about?
I cant be bothered re-reading it.

If you have money, a bank will not turn you down. It is at the bank managers discression to any financial transaction between you and the bank.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
its either declare yourself bankrupt or become bankrupt paying back your loan
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
OK! Gotcha!
damn u, u wiley fox lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads