The Student Room Group

Anyone else do Russian A-level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by und
Do you go to a private school? There are thirty people in my French class and thirteen in Russian is the least number of people I have in any of my classes!

No, I actually go to a state school but it is like one of the few that actually offers Russian (and Mandarin and Latin). Suffice to say, only two people are taking Mandarin its so difficult. What are you planning to study at uni, what A levels are you going to take?
I really want to learn Russian but it isnt offered at my school or any schools in the area. :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by Bardem

Original post by Bardem
No, I actually go to a state school but it is like one of the few that actually offers Russian (and Mandarin and Latin). Suffice to say, only two people are taking Mandarin its so difficult. What are you planning to study at uni, what A levels are you going to take?

Mine's a state school as well, but my classes are certainly much larger than yours! My school actually got the best A level results in the country for that year a few years back, which has encouraged more people to take it in recent years. Last year nine people took it for AS, but from what I've heard there are going to be more next year. (Way to overuse the word 'year' there! :rolleyes:)

I'm taking Mathamatics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Russian and probably AS Additional Further Mathamatics (if not the whole thing, but I'd have to self-teach three modules for that), and I'd like to study Mathematics at Trinity College, Cambridge. But as that's far-fetched, I'd be happy going to Warwick or Imperial - which are both still very difficult to get into, mind you.

How about you? Are you more interested in perhaps pursuing something in Russian?

Edit: And I understand that there may not be many people taking Mandarin or Russian, but how come there are so few people in your French class?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by OddThings

I really want to learn Russian but it isnt offered at my school or any schools in the area. :frown:

I'm sure you could take it ab initio at university if you intend to do a language degree, or maybe even alongside a less related degree. That's all assuming you want to go to university in the first place, but this is TSR after all! :biggrin:
Original post by und
I'm sure you could take it ab initio at university if you intend to do a language degree, or maybe even alongside a less related degree. That's all assuming you want to go to university in the first place, but this is TSR after all! :biggrin:

I do want to go to university :smile: That is true,I could but ab inito russian university level russian terrifies me.
Reply 25
Original post by und
My school actually got the best A level results for that year a few years back, which has encouraged more people to take it in recent years. Last year nine people took it for AS, but from what I've heard there are going to be more next year. (Way to overuse the word 'year' there! :rolleyes:)

I'm taking Mathamatics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Russian and probably AS Additional Further Mathamatics (if not the whole thing, but I'd have to self-teach three modules for that), and I'd like to study Mathematics at Trinity College, Cambridge. But as that's far-fetched, I'd be happy going to Warwick or Imperial - which are both still very difficult to get into, mind you.

How about you? Are you more interested in perhaps pursuing something in Russian?

Edit: And I understand that there may not be many people taking Mandarin or Russian, but how come there are so few people in your French class?

There are so few in my French because everyone in the class is taking two languages so the timetable clashes if we were in the larger classes. So its just the five of us.

Maths at Trinity sounds like the ultimate recipe for competitiveness lol but go for it. I'm inclined towards taking Biology- I would love to do MSci Zoology at UCL so that's my aim, I spent my work exp at the collections so I got to know my way around. I'm probably going to take Biology, Chemistry, Russian and History for my A levels.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26

I do want to go to university :smile: That is true,I could but ab inito russian university level russian terrifies me.

Do you know what you want to study at university? You shouldn't be that terrified, as long as you're good at learning languages. :smile:
Original post by und
Do you know what you want to study at university? You shouldn't be that terrified, as long as you're good at learning languages. :smile:

I've got consistent A's in French and German and I plan on taking Spanish and German at university but might switch to Russian instead.I like both.
Reply 28
Original post by Jtking3000
ponyatiye ya nye imyeyu. mozhyet bit, lyudi dumayut shto yazik slishkom trudniy ili ani prosta nye zainteryesovani v rassii.

Togda mojet bit stoelo bi tebe poiskat vozmojnosti dlya regularnoy yazikovoy praktiki? S drugoy storoni, kraine dorogo bilo bi polsovatsya uslugami firm and bolshih companiy.
Mojet nam s toboy udastsya dogovoritsya? Budish togda raz v god ezdit v Rossiyu (na paru nedel) i tratit budesh menshe. :wink:
Reply 29
OP, so as you need to learn Russian and I know your language rather well, may be we'll finally find at list one language we could talk to each other.
When have you been at Moscow last time?
Reply 30
Original post by Paul PTS
OP, so as you need to learn Russian and I know your language rather well, may be we'll finally find at list one language we could talk to each other.
When have you been at Moscow last time?

Sorry i didn't reply to you yesterday, i've never been to Moscow.
Reply 31
Sorry i didn't reply to you yesterday, i've never been to Moscow.

Nu togda samoe vremya posetit stolicu. :wink:
Reply 32
Nu togda samoe vremya posetit stolicu. :wink:

yesli ya chyestna govorya, ya nye zainteryesovani v poyezkye paccii iiiiiii
Reply 33
yesli ya chyestna govorya, ya nye zainteryesovani v poyezkye paccii iiiiiii

Why is it so? I thought you need language practice from time to time.
Reply 34
Why is it so? I thought you need language practice from time to time.

i'm pretty much giving up russian after my exam.
Reply 35
A, got 99% :tongue:

Hahaha is yours by any chance the essay they showed as the example in the examiners report for that year? :biggrin:
Original post by Sofifa
Hahaha is yours by any chance the essay they showed as the example in the examiners report for that year? :biggrin:

Dunno, link? :biggrin:

EDIT: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Russian/2013/Exam%20materials/6RU04_01_pef_20100818.pdf I'm on page 20 to 21. I can tell because my handwriting is 'unique' :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Dos Vedanya da, ja ruski
Reply 38
Dunno, link? :biggrin:

EDIT: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Russian/2013/Exam%20materials/6RU04_01_pef_20100818.pdf I'm on page 20 to 21. I can tell because my handwriting is 'unique' :colondollar:

u
Hahahahaha well wat did i say :biggrin: why does that not surprise me:biggrin: wel done you're now an exemplar material hahah
Reply 39
Anyone taking A2 here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending