IELTS question Watch

Kismet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Which uni asked you to do IELTS :confused: I'm hoping they won't, most unis have said that the fact that i got a Laudatur (accredited to top 5%) in Advanced English will do. Stupid of them to as a bilingual person to do IELTS. You could e-mail them and ask if it really is necessary and explain that you are bilingual. I know one Finnish student who was asked to do IELTS but she told them she had been an exchange student in USA and got an excellent grade in English so they changed the offer and she didn't have to take the test.

Well anyway if you do take the test, I'm sure you won't need to prepare for it that much!
Ian Pearce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why don`t you take the Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if you've got those it's fine but my school made me do it just in case.i guess it's stress and waste of time taking the lessons and preparing but you know it's better to be safe than sorry
Shickles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
without lessons, u could probably scrape a 7/7.5
in my school we actually had IELTS lessons, they're v useful, lots of analysing texts and stuff like that (skills that u need to go to uni!) so i would encourage you to do it. it's not just about proving that you can speak and write english, it's about gaining these important skills..

ok i'm kind of blabbing here, sorry i'm v sleepy.

hope this helps
Matt777
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've applied to Birmingham, East Anglia, Edinburgh, and Keele and they all asked for IELTS. I'm waiting for replies from them about IELTS. As I said I was in US for a year and had an average of 3.67 out of 4 and in English I had 3 so not bad I think. We will see.
joos
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hi..
i'm from malaysia/thailand. studied in an english medium school all my life. took the GCSEs and the As like everyone else. but edinburgh still requires me to take ielts. do you guys think there's any chance at all of me getting out of it? i have GCSE A for english.

so advice anyone?
Matt777
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Did You told them about that? Write them an e-mail and ask. If they still would ask for IELTS. It'll be very easy as you studied English. Point is why to waste money??
Magician
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
IELTS IS a waste of money and time.
lpool56
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by joos)
hi..
i'm from malaysia/thailand. studied in an english medium school all my life. took the GCSEs and the As like everyone else. but edinburgh still requires me to take ielts. do you guys think there's any chance at all of me getting out of it? i have GCSE A for english.

so advice anyone?
It depends how long ago you passed the GCSE. It really shouldn't be more than 3 years to the best of my knowledge, and could be the reason why they insist on the IELTS.
If not I would definitely contact them and tell them.
joos
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lpool56)
It depends how long ago you passed the GCSE. It really shouldn't be more than 3 years to the best of my knowledge, and could be the reason why they insist on the IELTS.
If not I would definitely contact them and tell them.
i took them in nov 2003. i'm applying for 2006 entry
lpool56
Report 13 years ago
Joos,

I would advise contacting them and tell them what you have told us. I.E that all your lessons (up to and including A levels) have been in the English medium.

I would also advise you to fax them rather than e-mail as a fax is a hard piece of paper that has to be handed to the person you address it to so find out who the admissions tutor is for your course.
Freckles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jammertal)
Ask the other unis if they want YOU to take the test.
Durham won't asked you take the IELTS. They accept English in the Abitur, so you (being bilingual) shouldn't have there a problem at all.
And for people who have 10-15 points in the Abitur it is 'normal' that they get 7.0 or above. Don't waste your time preparing for it!
This is simply not true. Of course this varies from school to school, but generally, achieving an "excellent" grade in English LK doesn't mean anything. I got 15 points and classes were so poor, I could have easily gotten 20, if 15 wasn't the highest you can get. Quite a few ppl got scores between 10 and 13 points and their English sucked. It was okay for German school English standards, but that's it. Being good at English here doesn't mean anything. And people who think just because they managed to get 12 points or something at school, they won't have any problems with the IELTS will be suprised. If you're good at English, the IELTS won't kill you. But don't base how good you are on your school mark. That really doesn't say anything. Ever since fifth grade, I was the BEST English student out of the entire school and yet the reading part of the IELTS was not exactly a piece of cake.
Jammertal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Anne*UK*06)
This is simply not true. Of course this varies from school to school, but generally, achieving an "excellent" grade in English LK doesn't mean anything. I got 15 points and classes were so poor, I could have easily gotten 20, if 15 wasn't the highest you can get. Quite a few ppl got scores between 10 and 13 points and their English sucked. It was okay for German school English standards, but that's it. Being good at English here doesn't mean anything. And people who think just because they managed to get 12 points or something at school, they won't have any problems with the IELTS will be suprised. If you're good at English, the IELTS won't kill you. But don't base how good you are on your school mark. That really doesn't say anything. Ever since fifth grade, I was the BEST English student out of the entire school and yet the reading part of the IELTS was not exactly a piece of cake.
Exactly. And the equation 10-15 points in the Abitur = 7.0+ in the IELTS applies to those who took it and went to my school. I doubt that it is in this form true for all German schools. My school prepares you well for any kind of language test and you can therefore take your school mark as an indicator for your test result.
I chose this example simply to underline that a bilingual person shouldn't have any problems with the IELTS as even 'poor' German students can cope with it.
Freckles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Poor German students cannot cope with it, that's what I'm saying. However, like I said before, if he's bilingual, he'll be fine.
joos
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
heyy.

thanks guys for all your advise. i've emailed the admissions officer. will let you guys know the results.

once again, thanks-a-million!
Abagnale
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, why don't u try some practice tests 1st? As I've said, it's not too difficult as it may seem to be. U may have been able to get 7+ without knowing it. I'm not saying IELTS is a piece of cake, and it's certainly not. But it's manageable, definitely.
supercat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it sad that I really want to take one of these when I live in England and my native tongue is English? Oh well.
Freckles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think you can And you might not even get the highest score :eek: A friend of mine is not a native German speaker and she knows more about grammar than I do :blush: lol I think you can take it, but it's 170 Euro. I wouldn't do it just for the heck of it :p:

But seeing as you're and English student, I might have to revise my statement :p: You'd better kick a** at it
joos
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hahaa

hey guys. the admissions tutor for ed just emailed me to say i DON'T have to take the ielts!

yay

thanks loads. peeps.
Freckles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lucky, you just saved yourself 170 Euro :p:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?