Turn on thread page Beta

Christmas Decoration ban watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This drives me mad.
    http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/me...mas_glitz.html

So what? Christmas has been a historical event in the UK for at least 1000 years and possibly since Jesus was born, but certainly in the last 200 years its been a major event.

People go mad, and tacky decorations are all apart of the fun. If people of different religions really don't like it they can just ignore it, I don't see what harm it does.

I am not relgious at all but I do celebrate Christmas even though I don't believe for one second that Jesus existed.

Christmas just apart of our culture and I think bosses that ban decorations becuase they may cause offense are just cowards. At least the council still put decorations up.

If I ever get my own HQ years down the line I intend to put a big 20 foot christmas tree outside it, regardless of the Religous Offence Act 2020 which banes Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: That is truly absurd.

ReputationRep:
    I agree - I'm all for diversity but when our traditions and customs are being banned, it's going a little over the top. What's the term for it - "backwards discrimination" or something?

ReputationRep:
    I've read about how 70% of UK firms have banned Christmas decorations for fear of offending other religions.Now I'm sorry but if I went to Saudi Arabia they wouldn't change their customs because they might offend me,as a Christian.In fact,I bet if I practised my religion there I'd get my hands or tongue cut off!

I'm all for diversity etc but a lot of the time it's just stupid managers assuming it's going to insult someone when,if I wasn't Christian,I'd be more offended at someone thinking I'd be insulted my something as pathetic as a bit of tinsel.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
    Hmmm
    Haha! Funny, but sadly quite true. Isn't it true that in Birmingham they actually are meant to say "winter holidays" or something rather than "Christmas"?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I guess its all part of this ridiculously PC world that we live in now!! We got told that you're not supposed to use the word fail....its actaully "delayed success" and you can't use the word brainstorm as it might be offensive to people with epilepsy!! Its a little bizarre! But there you go....

ReputationRep:
    Its completely ridiculous the way PC has taken over everything nowadays, everyone's so afraid of offending people that they have no free will of their own! I don't believe in god etc at all, but I still want to have a nice christmas - its barely about religion these days anyway, so it really shouldnt matter.

Are there any muslims/sikhs/buddists etc on TSR who actually get offended by christmas decorations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puk2184)
    Isn't it true that in Birmingham they actually are meant to say "winter holidays" or something rather than "Christmas"?
    If it is true, then from now on I shall refer to Ramadan only as 'The Fasting Month'. Seems only fair......

ReputationRep:
    This makes me really angry why should we always be the ones that adapt our culture for other people. We are a christian country celebrating xmas is what we do and I don't see why we should change that its not offensive I don't want to stop poeple celebrating their religion and there would be an outcry if we outlawed all mentions of diwali or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    This makes me really angry why should we always be the ones that adapt our culture for other people. We are a christian country celebrating xmas is what we do and I don't see why we should change that its not offensive I don't want to stop poeple celebrating their religion and there would be an outcry if we outlawed all mentions of diwali or something.
    You're free to practice your religion at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unpossible)
    You're free to practice your religion at home.
    Shall I remind the people celebrating EID of on the streets of Rushulme that then?

I love the multi faith Britian it gives us a real culture and diversity, but these stupid regulations are not helping race relations in this country.

As far as I am concerned if I want to stick a 30 foot Christmas tree in my garden I can although no doubt the planning department at the town hall will tell me to get rid of it as some neighbours complained it was offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Shall I remind the people celebrating EID of on the streets of Rushulme that then?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I do not mean to sound racist here but what i never understand is that some people accuse white people of being racist if there is not a black person in a film or something. But there is never any white people in films that is based on black people. So i do not understand why we need to bend over backwards when they're not willing to do the same. Most black people are okay and i am totally against racism. But it is them people who accuse you of being racist when you happen to disagree with them on something. Why cant everyone be like Dimexi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    I do not mean to sound racist here but what i never understand is that some people accuse white people of being racist if there is not a black person in a film or something. But there is never any white people in films that is based on black people. So i do not understand why we need to bend over backwards when they're not willing to do the same. Most black people are okay and i am totally against racism. But it is them people who accuse you of being racist when you happen to disagree with them on something. Why cant everyone be like Dimexi
    Its not racist its common sense, 90% of the UK population is white there fore the majority of TV programmes etc should have white people in it. If you go to London and central Manchester or Birmingham you would expect places to be very cultural mixed and they are.

Most black people I have met seem to understand that as well, but I have always found you get the odd people playing the race card, a lot of people did that college, they reckoned they failed becuase they were Asian, it had nothing to with the fact they did no work at all.

The vast majority of Asians do repsect Christmas, they may not celebrate it but they do respect it, a lot of Asian take aways have Christmas decorations up etc.

Just like we respect Eid and Divali etc.

The problem with a multi race society is there has to be a lot of give and take on both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Its not racist its common sense, 90% of the UK population is white there fore the majority of TV programmes etc should have white people in it. If you go to London and central Manchester or Birmingham you would expect places to be very cultural mixed and they are.

Most black people I have met seem to understand that as well, but I have always found you get the odd people playing the race card, a lot of people did that college, they reckoned they failed becuase they were Asian, it had nothing to with the fact they did no work at all.

The vast majority of Asians do repsect Christmas, they may not celebrate it but they do respect it, a lot of Asian take aways have Christmas decorations up etc.

Just like we respect Eid and Divali etc.

The problem with a multi race society is there has to be a lot of give and take on both sides.
    erm... whoever they are :s:

ReputationRep:
    :motz: that stuff makes me mad i mean these people have to except whats what if they are this country xxxx

ReputationRep:
    That gets me annoyed, im not christian but i find the xmas decorations very pretty :p: Putting christmas decorations doesnt offend me its just a way of celebration for people who celebrate christmas and banning them is just ridiculous and OTT!

SCx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    erm... whoever they are :s:
    Eid - Festival celebrated after Ramadan by Muslims
    Diwali - Hindu festival

ReputationRep:
    its quite simple. we live in a multicultural society, meaning all faiths are accepted

however the host faith, that is the predominant faith of our country, the one we "all" worshiped before imigration, was cristianity. so to get people saying dont celebrate your religious holidy coz of 1 reason or another is a load of crap. deal with it, we were here first. and it isnt offensive or anything. and we arent forcing anyone to celebrate it.

/rant

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.