KAISER_MOLE
I'm going to wear a smile :smile:

Aww, that's sweet :smile:
Reply 21
Are Converses OK?
Reply 22
yep...even chavy white trainers are fine according to the guideline
kellywood_5
Isn't Oxbridge itself a bit public schooly though?
Not really no.
Reply 24
N9ne
Actually, if you wear a suit, you will look out of place, considering there are loads of students in Cambridge, who will all be wearing normal clothes :wink:.

But very few of them will actually be around :wink:

Suits are fine if you want to wear one. If you don't, that's also fine. I would still say be smart though, and make an effort. You can all yell "If they're going to judge me on my clothes it's their problem and I don't want to get in!" but think about this for a minute:

1) Nobody is going to reject you for not wearing a suit. However, if the impression your appearance gives is that you couldn't be bothered, it's not going to make for a good first impression (and we all know how important these are!)

2) These interviewers will see you for about 30 minutes max. They will also be seeing possibly more than 100 other applicants in a very short space of time. You are in competition with them. If you don't come off as favourably as them, it's nobody's "problem" but your own.

3) Dressing reasonably smartly shows that you have some kind of respect for them, and also that you appreciate how important the event is.

Of course, if you go in wearing a bin bag but have the mind of Einstein and are lively and engaging, then you'll still stand a great chance. But the reality is that there are very few of those people, and for the rest of us, a reasonable amount of our getting an offer depended on luck. So I'd do as much to make a good first impression as I could.
Reply 25
OK, I've decided. White gap t-shirt (tainted with evil, but it was a present and I haven't got a decent shirt) which is about as smart as a t-shirt can be, and very dark green cords. Casual, but hopefully not scruffy.
i'm thinking black skirt, cream vest top, boots and a jacket type thing.. i wore it to manchester and got a place so it's kinda my lucky outfit now!
Reply 27
Just make sure you're warm enough! I nearly froze while walking around town before my interview - I'd wear more than a vest top under your jacket or you'll be shivering...
I wore a grey pink pinstripe suit, with a white blouse and a pink jumper. Only I didn't wear the jacket because everyone else seemed more casual and I'd already met the DoS the night before while wearing jeans. Good luck everyone!
Reply 29
I wore a shirt and some cords.
Reply 30
Okay, I had my interview today and loads of people were wearing casual clothes. Do not worry about it!
Reply 31
I just got a lecture from my gran about dressing well. She almost had a fit when I said I planned to wear jeans... apparently in "her day" at Cambridge she wore knee-length skirts or longer. Argh.
Reply 32
Mata
I just got a lecture from my gran about dressing well. She almost had a fit when I said I planned to wear jeans... apparently in "her day" at Cambridge she wore knee-length skirts or longer. Argh.
Tell her times have moved on :biggrin:
Reply 33
I have to say I would recommend wearing heels. Made me feel a lot more confident!
I was just in Trinity's bar and there were a fair number of interviewees in there. A few were in suits, but they did seem slightly out of place. The rest were just wearing clothes they felt comfortable in, but were mostly vaguely smart.

One major observation I've got is that if you're going to wear a suit, for god sake wear black shoes with them. One guy was wearing a suit but bright white trainers. Even if he thought jeans and a tshirt were too scruffy, it would have been way better than white trainers with a dark suit!!
AlphaNumeric
I was just in Trinity's bar and there were a fair number of interviewees in there. A few were in suits, but they did seem slightly out of place. The rest were just wearing clothes they felt comfortable in, but were mostly vaguely smart.

One major observation I've got is that if you're going to wear a suit, for god sake wear black shoes with them. One guy was wearing a suit but bright white trainers. Even if he thought jeans and a tshirt were too scruffy, it would have been way better than white trainers with a dark suit!!

I saw an applicant for medicine wearing a black suit and yellow and green trainers! It certainly made me remember him, or at least his feet...
Reply 36
I wore shiny black shoes with my suit at my interview. I spilled liquid shoe polish down my leg just before leaving my room. And I was wearing skin-coloured tights. Cue frantic attempts to clean self without destroying tights :redface:
Black velvet skirt with black net underskirt.
Swirly patterned pinky-orange lilac tights.
Black t-shirt.
Pink-black-red plastic raspeberry beads.
Stilletto healed boots.

Possibly I am a touch flamboyant, but better over dressed than undressed!

Latest

Trending

Trending