Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since when did this turn into a history lesson? Fact is, I doubt you will be able to change your parents opinions as they have probably been brought up with such views all their lives. Maybe once you are a bit older and more independent from your parents, you'll have less problems with who you date. I'm assuming you're still young. There's plenty of fish out there and you have many years ahead of you

ReputationRep:
    Since when did this turn into a history lesson? Fact is, I doubt you will be able to change your parents opinions as they have probably been brought up with such views all their lives. Maybe once you are a bit older and more independent from your parents, you'll have less problems with who you date. I'm assuming you're still young. There's plenty of fish out there and you have many years ahead of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    Since when did this turn into a history lesson?
    Since people started using "history" to justify irrational ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    Since when did this turn into a history lesson?

(Original post by ferrus)
    You'll be suprised how relevant the past can be when discussing such issues...

(Original post by ferrus)
    You'll be suprised how relevant the past can be when discussing such issues...

ReputationRep:
    i think its incredibly relevent. It explains the OP's parents predudices

(Original post by trigger)
    i think its incredibly relevant. It explains the OP's parents prejudices
    Probably. Anyway, Japan's come a long way since the post-war occupation. Although I hear their fishermen are having trouble dealing with giant jellyfish :rofl:

(Original post by trigger)
    i think its incredibly relevant. It explains the OP's parents prejudices
    Probably. Anyway, Japan's come a long way since the post-war occupation. Although I hear their fishermen are having trouble dealing with giant jellyfish :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieD)
    hey
    i never realised the extent of my parents racism until now. here's the scenario: i'm chinese but was born and raised here. as a result of growing up in a multicultral environment, i'm not racist. however my parents are as they were born in china and came to london 17 years ago.

recently, a good friend of mine, who is japanese, asked me out and i was inclined to say yes coz race really doens't matter to me. but my parents went beserk when they found out and i understand that they were like this because of old racial views they can't get over so they've bascially told me that i can only be friends with him.

i really don't care what they think but i still can't go out with him coz my life would be hell at home if i did, and i really don't need that at the moment.

how am i meant to tell him all this and still stay friends with him??
    Read the first paragraph of this wiki.

I'm sure that should answer any questions that you may have about your parents' opinions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2007
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.