Train fine £20 and I gave a fake address..

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I know I'm not going to get sympathy for this as I've been very stupid. I just need reassurance/ advice on what to do. Swear I'm not a troll either. Please none of that 'you've been sooo stupid mate' or any other holier-than-thou ranting.

I was supposed to meet my family at London on that day. Due to an orthodontist appointment I got off at X Station with the intention of buying a ticket to London after. Like a total total idiot, I completely forgot, waltzed into X Station with my weekly (valid from home to X Station) and hopped on the train without thinking. It was a fast train and I just thought bleh. There'll be a conductor along the way.

When there wasn't one, I still wasn't too scared cause I know at London they have that counter where you buy tickets? So I got off there but it was closed. The guy who was going in or out pointed me to the station guy, he said something about not having a valid ticket. This was true, but I tried to explain my situation. Now I was getting scared. He fined me £20, of which I paid £5 there and then. He asked for my railcard, I have no idea if he recorded my numbers or anything. He asked for my details to confirm, I gave him my real name but - and I don't know how this came so easily - but I just lied... I gave my old address. Of course I knew what I was doing (I didn't know it was a criminal offence though, at the time), and yes, alright I did think it had been quite clever of me. I have been fined once before (that time was deliberate and I just paid it in the end). I thought if I could prevent it happening again.. and because in my mind, it was really unfair (though they obvs won't see it that way). I was p'd off at my own bad luck as well. It was my fault I know, but we all would do it, if we could.

Anyway now I'm not sure what to do. It's due by 1 May, after which I have no right to appeal apparently. My aunt was like it's fiiiine, how are they supposed to find you? And I was content to believe her then, but now I've been googling and some of the info is rather shocking. I would honestly just pay the £15 but I don't know what the fact of me giving false details means. How far will this go? Will they prosecute? Will they just drop it? The solution seems obvious, go and pay and explain to them, but I am just so terrified! Auugh. Been such a ****
Welsh.Dude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If the Railcard is registered to an address, it's likely they could send a letter to that medium next.
Other than that, I'd send a bunch of chocolates to the person living at your old address and the sum of £15 for them to pay the fine that arrived on their doorstep.
Welsh.Dude
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ktlaurenroe)
The train police are coming for you.
Along with Reposession officers?
catjaum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welsh.Dude)
Along with Reposession officers?
Along with secret agents from MI5
lilywolf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did that when I was 15 omw to London . Nothing ever came of it, though I didn't have a railcard then... worse that will happen is they'll contact you through your railcard address. I wouldn't stress!
username664275
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Keep anon please, or delete.

I know I'm not going to get sympathy for this as I've been very stupid. I just need reassurance/ advice on what to do. Swear I'm not a troll either. Please none of that 'you've been sooo stupid mate' or any other holier-than-thou ranting.

I was supposed to meet my family at London on that day. Due to an orthodontist appointment I got off at X Station with the intention of buying a ticket to London after. Like a total total idiot, I completely forgot, waltzed into X Station with my weekly (valid from home to X Station) and hopped on the train without thinking. It was a fast train and I just thought bleh. There'll be a conductor along the way.

When there wasn't one, I still wasn't too scared cause I know at London they have that counter where you buy tickets? So I got off there but it was closed. The guy who was going in or out pointed me to the station guy, he said something about not having a valid ticket. This was true, but I tried to explain my situation. Now I was getting scared. He fined me £20, of which I paid £5 there and then. He asked for my railcard, I have no idea if he recorded my numbers or anything. He asked for my details to confirm, I gave him my real name but - and I don't know how this came so easily - but I just lied... I gave my old address. Of course I knew what I was doing (I didn't know it was a criminal offence though, at the time), and yes, alright I did think it had been quite clever of me. I have been fined once before (that time was deliberate and I just paid it in the end). I thought if I could prevent it happening again.. and because in my mind, it was really unfair (though they obvs won't see it that way). I was p'd off at my own bad luck as well. It was my fault I know, but we all would do it, if we could.

Anyway now I'm not sure what to do. It's due by 1 May, after which I have no right to appeal apparently. My aunt was like it's fiiiine, how are they supposed to find you? And I was content to believe her then, but now I've been googling and some of the info is rather shocking. I would honestly just pay the £15 but I don't know what the fact of me giving false details means. How far will this go? Will they prosecute? Will they just drop it? The solution seems obvious, go and pay and explain to them, but I am just so terrified! Auugh. Been such a ****
just pay and say that u were in a hurry so u gave ur old address by mistake.
call it an innocent mistake
chrislpp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did this and they tried to physically hold me back and make me buy another ticket.

Considering there were cameras everywhere they lay a hand on me and they were ****ed.
U.S Lecce
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Jail term definitely, 15 years to life i suspect.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And there was me thinking you'd something thread-worthy of being fined £20.......

Nothing's goings to happen, if you get fined then pay it, no big deal.
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ahaha. I've done this before, but that's because the conductor was an arse.

Got to the station just as the train was arriving and hopped on, didn't have chance to buy a ticket from the machine. Anyway, he comes along, I try to buy a ticket and he tells me there's a new initiative to save time, you must buy a ticket before you get on the train, and tells me he's going to fine me £20. Anyway, I try to explain again, and he get's all jobsworthy so I told him I didn't have any cash on me apart from the £5 I was going to use to buy the ticket. So I buy my ticket and he asks for my address, badda bing, badda boom, I live 20 miles away And then made a quip about saving time, bearin in mind it had taken him 5 mintues to do all this. He was not best pleased.

But still, a complete arse, and nothing ever came of it so alls well that ends well
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Run.
Tensa Zangetsu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if you give a fake adress then why are you worrying and how did they send correspondence to your current adress, anyway if your getting letters from them saying their prosecuting etc then you kind of have to worry becuase this happened to me a few months back when i bought a child travel card and was caught with it , anyway it looks like u did the same as me and started scowling the internet for help lol

i guess i was lucky cuz i sent a letter of guilty fnk its called plea of guilty and chose not to attend my court date and thankfully i wasnt prosecuted and just received a 150 £ fine but others are not so lucky and receive a crimilal record, strange but guess its 50/50 hope for the best mate
FrostyLemon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember I got caught once and the ticket guy gave me a fine, I said I didn't have any money, then he asked 'how was you going to pay for a ticket?' and I just said I wasn't... so then he had to ask for my details, gave him my old neighbours name and address who I hated as a child. Sorted.
Comet Andromeda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That happened to someone they gave my address along with some ridiculous name nothing happened though! Pay it just in case because you just never know
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anon fail...
SebbyMain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
idiottt. fake adresses work thouggh
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
If your railcard is with your current address, then giving your old one wont work, plus it can be interpreted as deliberately avoiding paying a fare (whether that be penalty fare, as a 20 quid fine is) - the penalties as such can go to 3 months in jail, and a grand fine from British Transport Police

Sweet dreams
mclovin123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by catjaum)
Along with secret agents from MI5
Dont forget the rapist.
magicL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its no biggy.....i have like around £300 in bus and train fines....they get bored after a while and just go meh
Panda Bear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend did this once. Now he's locked up in Guantanamo Bay.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (32)
8.16%
Confident (54)
13.78%
Indifferent (56)
14.29%
Unsure (100)
25.51%
Worried (150)
38.27%

Watched Threads