Turn on thread page Beta

Cloning watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys...

Could I get your opinions on for and against cloning? I know this thread has probably already been done but I'm new and i'm writing an essay in Italian on it... I'm finding it tough enough in english let alone italian!

Thank you! x

ReputationRep:
    It's inevitable. You can't hold back scientific discovery.

ReputationRep:
    will be wicked. cant wait. go you crazy geneticists

i want mutants! MUUUUUTTAANNNTTSS!!!!

i want wings, and lazer eyes. and an army of badger clones dressed as 4 legged storm troopers

ReputationRep:
    Useful for food etc. - we could clone crops so that people in developing countries would have things to eat in times of drought etc.
    BUT could be misused - we'd practically wipe out individuality if everyone was cloned. Talk about boring.

ReputationRep:
    good: eradicate chronic/degenerating/hereditary illnesses

bad: can lead to human/superhuman argument (facism/aryan race/ eradication of the 'unclean race')

now its your turn to elaborate on that...

ReputationRep:
    good: get rid of gingers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farfalla4)
    Hey guys...

Could I get your opinions on for and against cloning? I know this thread has probably already been donebut I'm new and i'm writing an essay in Italian on it... I'm finding it tough enough in english let alone italian!

Thank you! x
    So does that make this thread a clone then?

Oh the irony... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Good for medical advances.

Bad for evil people who decide to create an army of people/things to take over the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.J)
    Good:
    - if people who can't have children but want offspring with their own genetic material
    - if the "perfect" vegetable/fruit/animal was discovered, perhaps an anomaly which couldn't be reproduced naturally, it can be cloned without losing any of the genetic material
    - could clone animals that are unable to reproduce - hybrids for example (although would anyone want to?)

Bad:
    - lose natural evolution

A few points:
    1. Supercat, I think you're a little confused about cloning. You basically put the genetic material of one being into another shell. It's not like Harry Potter waving his wand and shouting multiply. The crops would still have to be grown.
    2. uthinkilltellyou, you're also on the wrong lines. If I was cloned repeatedly, fair enough I'd have an army, but give me (and the rest of me) a couple hundred years and I/we wouldn't have evolved at all. I wouldn't be able to adapt to the climate, conditions, and more importantly, the diseases which have all mutated over the years.
    3. It wouldn't eradicate diseases either, unless you're planning on only cloning those without the disease and not allowing those with the disease to reproduce in any way. A simpler method would be to allow normal reproduction between human without the disease, but that's moving into dodgy territory.
    clones, will be human beings (DNA) and thus they will evolve with everyone else...

you don't seem to understant my point.

cloning isn't about cloning full grown humans/babies, you can clone a cell as well, and i reffering to that.

if a person has a disease (bone marrow) of some sort, then a clone the healphy part of the bone marrow from the that person, and surgically swap them...

ReputationRep:
    http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5...gerarmy3nq.png

ReputationRep:
    mmm, clonalicious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.J)
    Bad:
    - lose natural evolution
    But mutations are one of the main reasons why organsims evolve and speciation occours. The fear is that drastic evolution will occour and the new GMOs will be better equiped to survive so the origional organisms will die out.

There's no point in just randomly cloning a person/animal/plant. The most helpful use of cloning in the future will be to create embryo stem cells so there's no need to find donors. I can't wait to get to uni to do a genetics degree.

ReputationRep:
    Good points:

I can kill everyone then replace the entire world population with myself

Bad Points:

Someone else may have the same idea

ReputationRep:
    If someone cloned your mum and she had a baby would that baby be you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff's Toy)
    If someone cloned your mum and she had a baby would that baby be you?
    That would be like saying if your mum and a twin and her twin sister had a baby that baby would be you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferrus)
    That would be like saying if your mum and a twin and her twin sister had a baby that baby would be you!
    omg that's scary! That couldn't happen though could it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferrus)
    which would be like saying your brother is you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    which would be like saying your brother is you
    but I don't have a brother???

ReputationRep:
    i was just pointing out how stupid it is to say that your cloned mothers son would be you.

ReputationRep:
    the problem with cloning at the minute is that the clones keep the 'age' of their 'original.' As in Dolly the sheep.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.