This discussion is closed.
Seer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
At some universities the first year only needs to be passed to continue your course and your results have no effect on your final degree classification. Is this true for all courses at all universities?
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
At some universities the first year only needs to be passed to continue your course and your results have no effect on your final degree classification. Is this true for all courses at all universities?
dunno..ask pencilqueen....she knows everything

G
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I am not sure for certain but everybody seems to say that the first year dosn't count towards the mark so it seems very university has this policy.

The first year is supposed to be a catch up year to make sure everybody is at the same standard by the second year. It does not work like that in reality though.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Also if you are border line sometimes unis will take into account your first year when making a decision on how to grade you.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Mostly...it's certainly not cut and dry though, most uni's allow different departments to set their own criteria for the final degree classification so without trawling through university department websites there's no quick way to find out.

But it's worth remembering that some graduate employers want to know your overall mark for each year at university - so if you slack in the first yr it could cost you a good job 3 yrs later.
yeahhh...overall, I would say that on a BA it's not too common for your first year to count. However, for Science/Engineering students, it often counts for something like 10% or so.

Have to say, the latter point is particularly useful. For law, you do many of your core modules in the first year, the grades will matter to any prospective employer. Also, if you're interested in applying to grad. school, they get a break down of all your results, and a good first year may turn out to be the difference between offer/rejection for an exceptionally competitive spot.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Mostly...it's certainly not cut and dry though, most uni's allow different departments to set their own criteria for the final degree classification so without trawling through university department websites there's no quick way to find out.

But it's worth remembering that some graduate employers want to know your overall mark for each year at university - so if you slack in the first yr it could cost you a good job 3 yrs later.

yeahhh...overall, I would say that on a BA it's not too common for your first year to count. However, for Science/Engineering students, it often counts for something like 10% or so.

Have to say, the latter point is particularly useful. For law, you do many of your core modules in the first year, the grades will matter to any prospective employer. Also, if you're interested in applying to grad. school, they get a break down of all your results, and a good first year may turn out to be the difference between offer/rejection for an exceptionally competitive spot.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Plus of course not slacking in your first yr gives you the grounding and momentum that will give you a big boost during your second and third yrs (I say this as someone who slacked for my first yr and a half and had to get some scary exam results to give me the kick up the arse needed to start turning up to lectures/putting in the effort again)

See you can tell that we're both rather old, i.e. encouraging fresh faced aspiring univ. students to do something as utterly absurd as actually work during their first year
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
One i know that does count:
English and French Law LLB(where you spend 2 years here and 2years in France)
You literally do an English law degree in 2 yrs and then a french law degree in 2 yrs!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Most people on my course slacked. The average grade for the first year was like 50% because everybody tended to the bare minimum. I got 63% overall due to team working letting my grades down. However it was still above average, in the second year the groups have kind of been aranged like sets and I'm in the best group because of my grades in the first year. I have the best tutors for everything which means it is easier for me to get good grades. Although my first year didn't count I am glad I didn't slack too much as it has made life so much easier in the second year. Also getting a half decent mark gives you confidence for the second year.
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
No.

J.
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
for my course, nothing technically counts for the years above but you need 50% to pass. Also they look at your grades when there are unit choices that are very popular. For instance there is a unit on Latin American film which is always really popular and from what i've heard everyone applies for it. Obviously if you put no effort into your first year you could get stuck with doing modules that you really don't want to do and if you don't enjoy what you're doing you are less likely to do well.

Also for Law, my friend says that some people have been talent scouted already because of exceptional performance etc and i think most od the law people apply for placements in their 2nd year so their first year marks are crucial.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know that for york for computer science the first year counts for 1/9th of the BEng or 1/16th of the MEng.

Weighting of 1:3:5 / 1:3:5:7
Seer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
No.

J.
Please don't say it so dryly, already i'm starting to believe that you're a genius.
MuvverRussia
Report 17 years ago
LSE's weighting for all courses (I'm not sure about Law though as they are slightly different) is 1:4:4 in it's simplest form. In reality it's slightly more complicated but only in the 2nd and 3rd years.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

No its not always true. For example those doing the Maitrise at UCL/Kings/Cambridge- their first years count.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The really top unis tend to count the first year. Imperial place a ninth of the grade of maths degrees on the first year, with four ninths to second and third year. Some of the second tier unis just ask for a pass.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
Only my third year really counts towards degree classification; the rest aren't really counted, but as Pencil Queen says, grad employers like to know your scores for each year and you'll likely be applying to jobs only with first and second year marks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads