The Student Room Group

Anyone else writing a novel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm very impressed that you all have the patience to write a novel! I'm in the process of writing a play but it's been postponed until after my exams unfortunately :frown:
Although there's a competition in my area for new playwrights where they can get their play performed at our town's festival, which I'm seriously considering!
TSR has inspired me to start a novel, I'm hoping to make it into a film like X-men or Fantastic Four.

It's about a young man and his frustrated dreams.

Meet Gerald. Gerald's life is perfect. He has completed all versions of Call of Duty and has 600 facebook friends and over 250 followers on Twitter. He got 10 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and is predicted A*AAA in Maths, Economics, Physics and Further Maths AS levels. He does Duke of Edinburgh and has got a weeks work experience coming up in a local accountants who are connected to his Dad's firm. All he needs to make his life complete is the love of a woman (well, that and a place at Oxford, but that one is for the sequel). Gerald's problem is, despite his fantastic academic and gaming credentials, he is only 5ft 8. Girls just put him in the friend zone and he can't understand why. He does all the right things, he is always there for them and listens to all their problems, but they just never seem to see him as more than a friend because of his lack of height. He has read The Game and all the other pick up artist crap on the internets and it still didn't do him any good, he feels destined to die, forever alone. Then one night he gets visited by the 'Memes': Wolf's Head, Raptor Jesus, LOLcat, Joseph Ducreux, Y U NO guy, an army of helpers who will turn Gerald's life around, stop him being such a faggot and turn into a stud who gets hos. This moving novel will be a story of hope which will change the reader's life, and make them realise, it's never too late to be what you could have been. Read more in COOL STORY BRO, coming soon....
Original post by Norfolkadam
On the 2nd of April 2010 Russell thinks the biggest worry in his life is a £33.10 library fine. By the 22nd he will have found a sense of perspective.

Too right, if its 50p a day thats an extra £10 per book overdue by 22nd
Reply 23
My main one is set in a medieval fantasy world, there's 6 main characters, 2 teachers from the mage school, a knight of the king, a girl from a mountain village, a young travelling woman and the crown prince. They're all linked in an ancient prophecy. It's all kind of complicated, but there's lots of twists and an evil mage who once rose from the dead, and people not being who they appear to be. Like I said, it's not all figured out yet, I want to do things but my characters won't let me.

The other one I'm doing is about a girl whos boyfriend is murdered, he appeared to everybody to be one of those perfect people who could do no wrong. But his best friend (who also happens to be in love with the girl) knows a lot of dark things about the guys past and present. It's about the friend trying to decide whether to protect the girlfriend from the truth so that she won't be hurt, or tell the truth so that justice can be brought. It's also about the girls suffering, how the boys parents react and the impact on a closely knit community.

And my final one is a modern retake on sleeping beauty, it's about 2 celebrity's daughter, one of whom used to be into drugs, a friend of theirs who they fell out with over not being invited to the christening says that any child of theirs will die with a needle in her arm anyway, the daughter goes out to a party and is tempted into drugs by the woman's daughter. She is rushed to hospital where her Godmother (a doctor) carries out emergency treatment which saves her life but puts her into a coma. She is in the coma for 100 days, her boyfriend (who has moved to America with his family for 6 months, finally hears about it and comes rushing home, he sits by her bedside, as he leaves he gives her a kiss, the next day she wakes up.
Original post by Boom.Squish
I'm trying to write something, though I've put it off until after exams.

It starts in 1913 and goes through a couple of years of the war. The premise is a girl of aristocratic blood making her debut in high society. She's looked down upon a bit as her mother eloped with a man of much lower social standing than herself then committed suicide while the father disappeared. She grows up with her aunt, uncle and cousins. She's very close to one of them but this cousin ends up marrying a man who she starts to fall in love with. Meanwhile, war is declared and things are changing in London. She gets involved in the suffragette movement, much to the chagrin of her family and throws herself into various other causes to distract herself from her complicated love life. After the husband of the cousin goes to war and she has a miscarriage, her mental health starts deteriorating and it's up to the main character to try and pick up the pieces. And lots of other stuff happens, there are various subplots concerning her parents and others, set against a period of social and political upheaval. It sounds awful when I try and sum it up here but it's not that bad!

The research for historical novels is hard though. Advice? Um, keep writing and if something doesn't work then change it, don't hold on to ideas that you know will never work the way you want them too, don't overwrite, info-dump or use too many adjectives/adverbs and show don't tell. That's all I've got :smile:

I really like the sound of your novel :yep:
Reply 25
I started work on something a little while ago but put it on hold for the exams. It's very hard to summarise and will probably sound terrible but it's basically like this :P :

GPS devices capable of operating above a certain height and at a certain speed are considered munitions as they can be used in ballistic missiles, so in my story the Americans "lose" a few of these devices to Iran (although this isn't revealed straight away) which invokes a join CIA-Mossad (the Israeli intelligence service) cooperation. Basically stunning female CIA agent kicks ass with male Mossad agent blah blah blah and an interesting espionage-based twist at the end.

I also have something else on the go although all I've done is made up a few characters and a very basic storyline:

It's set in the future and about a futuristic intelligence service called the GRID (the name might need to be changed as it sounds a bit cheesy). The main character is an assassin/agent for this network. GRID is pretty much omnipotent and monitors everything (like the echelon network on steriods). At the same time as all this is going on, GRID becomes self aware and starts replacing key leaders with cyborg copies. There are a few romantic sub plots for the protagonist and lots of action packed assassinations but that's pretty much as far as I've got in terms of planning :P

(As you've probably guessed, I write for fun and not to get published xD)

All of the novel ideas on here are fantastic and I hope all of you who want to be published at some point achieve your dream :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I've written a short story but I want to expand on it because there is just too much to fit under a limited number of pages (it was for English coursework).

Basically, it's about a boy who could see time (quite complicated, can't be bothered to explain XD). The first couple of chapters skips through his childhood and how he struggles with growing up with his 'gift'. He gives up on school and travels to Norway, where his grandmother lives. There he discovers secrets about his family and the story skips between the past and the present (i.e. between his various ancestors and him) to reveal more about how he came about this ability. All I can say is, that Norway, a golden pocket watch and his grandmother are involved :wink: oh, and Gods.
I always start novels with new ideas but then end up crashing when exams come or whatever. At the minute i'm writing a novel about how the world is wrong and our perceptions of life in general have become distorted over time. Its very philosophical lol. Like how money should not control our lives, how God should no longer be part of this world and how social events take precedence over our purposes in life. Sounds kinda depressing but you know, it will be a novel, not a philosophy book :wink:
I've got back into writing over the last few months and so far have stuck to short stories.
In the last few days I have been developing an idea for a novel, but it's in the early stages so I don't want to jinx it by giving too much away :p:
Original post by Profesh
Technically, yes, although I've written slightly over a chapter in the two years since I began. Who wants to read it?

I might have to memorise the whole English dictionary in order to read your novel conveniently. :colonhash:
Reply 30
Original post by Ferrero Rocher
I might have to memorise the whole English dictionary in order to read your novel conveniently. :colonhash:

"Suddenly, as though activated by some hitherto-dormant firing-mechanism, his mind lurched out of the benighted doldrums of post-libation and into a vast, desolate wilderness of clarity; a gazelle eyed him quizzically from afar. Or was it a lion? Potential metaphors circled menacingly overhead."

Well, quite possibly.
Original post by KJane
I really really want to read that now! :biggrin:

Original post by x_chichi_x
This sounds really good! Would love to read it after it's finished :smile:

Original post by secret_smile
I really like the sound of your novel :yep:

Thank you, this is quite motivating actually :smile:
I can't wait until exams are over so I can really get to work on it!
Original post by emilymay

The other one I'm doing is about a girl whos boyfriend is murdered, he appeared to everybody to be one of those perfect people who could do no wrong. But his best friend (who also happens to be in love with the girl) knows a lot of dark things about the guys past and present. It's about the friend trying to decide whether to protect the girlfriend from the truth so that she won't be hurt, or tell the truth so that justice can be brought. It's also about the girls suffering, how the boys parents react and the impact on a closely knit community.

I like the idea of this, I've always thought that if I wrote a novel or screenplay, one of the themes would be there would be somebody in there who seemed to be perfect, could do no wrong, but had a sinister dark side to them, obsessive, manipulative or stalkerish behaviour, which would slowly be teased out as the plot progressed.
Reply 33
Original post by MagicNMedicine
TSR has inspired me to start a novel, I'm hoping to make it into a film like X-men or Fantastic Four.

It's about a young man and his frustrated dreams.

Meet Gerald. Gerald's life is perfect. He has completed all versions of Call of Duty and has 600 facebook friends and over 250 followers on Twitter. He got 10 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and is predicted A*AAA in Maths, Economics, Physics and Further Maths AS levels. He does Duke of Edinburgh and has got a weeks work experience coming up in a local accountants who are connected to his Dad's firm. All he needs to make his life complete is the love of a woman (well, that and a place at Oxford, but that one is for the sequel). Gerald's problem is, despite his fantastic academic and gaming credentials, he is only 5ft 8. Girls just put him in the friend zone and he can't understand why. He does all the right things, he is always there for them and listens to all their problems, but they just never seem to see him as more than a friend because of his lack of height. He has read The Game and all the other pick up artist crap on the internets and it still didn't do him any good, he feels destined to die, forever alone. Then one night he gets visited by the 'Memes': Wolf's Head, Raptor Jesus, LOLcat, Joseph Ducreux, Y U NO guy, an army of helpers who will turn Gerald's life around, stop him being such a faggot and turn into a stud who gets hos. This moving novel will be a story of hope which will change the reader's life, and make them realise, it's never too late to be what you could have been. Read more in COOL STORY BRO, coming soon....

that is so unrealistic. who does 12 GCSEs :s-smilie:
I started a novel (wrote 10 out of 14 chapters) for NaNoWriMo in November but haven't got greatly far with it since because work has been quite demanding, I am hoping to finish the first draft before Uni but given I won't have access to a computer over the next 5 months that might be a bit difficult, I also won't have much time.

By book is about two gay fathers bringing up their 6 children, during the last few weeks of the summer term, there are a number of secrets that come out, and one of the children struggles more the others to deal with the death of his mother and so hides himself from the family throughout the book.
Reply 35
I gave up when I was 10 - too dangerous.
Reply 36
Just wondered - what would you all consider a decent length novel to be (in terms of word count)? I'm at about 27000 so far... (nowhere near finished though) :smile:
Reply 37
I've got an idea for the style, I just don't have the plot.
Several. And not getting anywhere with any of them. I have a tendency to skip from one idea to the next without much purpose or direction. Let's see if I can dig one of my ideas out of my head for you.

Ok, so you've got your classic bored teenager, driven out of her mind by how dull reality is, and dreams of having adventures, blah blah blah. On the way home from school she sees someone lying in the middle of the road. Stupidly she runs out to see if they're ok and blacks out. Waking up, she finds herself in the middle of a forest with some guy glaring at her. Obviously she assumes he's a pervert and tries to run away, but she's still a bit unsteady on her feet so she gets nowhere. Long story short, the boy is called Jay (although I might change the name, not so sure I like Jay) the son of the cruel tyrant who's ruling over the kingdom and causing a hell of a lot of trouble, and this girl is the parallel version of his girlfriend, so he's none too happy about them being switched. However, in this world everyone has a double personality (of sorts) and can turn into an animal. The main character can turn into an owl, and the boy informs her that she's needed to kill the tyrant because nobody else is brave (or stupid) enough to do it. Naturally she refuses and the boy is forced to drag her to meet this dryad person who shows her all the suffering this man has brought on their country, and convinces her to murder him. He sends another dryad named Lyndon to go as well and help look after her, since she has no idea about how to survive in this world, and she manages to fall in love with him in the process, and he appears to feel the same way. Eventually she reaches the home of this tyrant and manages to kill him. Horrified by what she's done, she goes insane (really, properly insane), and runs away. Meanwhile he has to take over his father's position as King, and Lyndon runs home to tell his people that Jay is now King and so the country should be easy to invade. And the rest is all in the sequel.

Yes, it's badly done and not very well thought out, but I'm working on it. :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
literary ideas ftw. :colonhash:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending