This discussion is closed.
Cyclone
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I've been offered a place at Cambridge but will probably reject the offer. If it were possible, would anyone pay for my place?
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes, plenty of people would.

But no, it isn't possible.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyclone)
I've been offered a place at Cambridge but will probably reject the offer. If it were possible, would anyone pay for my place?
Yeah, I'll give you a tenner for it.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
£20, but only if it's for English Lit!
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
£20, but only if it's for English Lit!
How dare you outbid me, do you have any idea as to who I am?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Haha, can you imagine if someone tried to do that?
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Haha, can you imagine if someone tried to do that?
Imagine this:

You auctioned your Cambridge place.

imagine the bids u would get.

i swear, some1 would bid like £1, 000, 000 for it.

a rich father who's son is at a private school or something.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'd probably bid anything upto a couple of thousand
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
You have an offer already - what would be the point of that?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
If I hadn't been so lucky I mean.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Perhaps if he wanted to start a franchise?
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't see what's sillier - turning down a Cambridge offer or asking about a hypothetical auctioning,

It's just that an Oxbridge place is so special and can set you up for life. Places at Oxbridge are highly sought after and many many people are deeply affected by rejections. If you didn't apply then your place would have been offered to someone who actually did want it. It's not dissimilar to hoax 999 calls - why did you apply there only to turn it down - it is a waste.

Of course I don't mean to be cruel - you may have realised after applying that Cambridge is not for you, but you could have found out more about the place before committing yourself. I suggest that you think again about your offer.

J.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't have that kind of money. There is more to life than a place at Cambridge!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I don't have that kind of money. There is more to life than a place at Cambridge!
Niether do I actually, it's just what value I'd put on a place. I know there's more to life, but I think there are valuable a few perks to be enjoyed from Cambridge, and I don't mean employment propsects. Just the opportunity to meet the people you would, the opportunity to be taught by the cambridge tutors, the collegiate setup,the college cats, the assassins thing you told me abuot. Sounds like a phenomonal experience.

Btw, a number of very desparate people pay oxbridgeapplications (www.oxbridgeapplications.com) in excess of £10k in order to almost guarantee themselves a place.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Btw, a number of very desparate people pay oxbridgeapplications (www.oxbridgeapplications.com) in excess of £10k in order to almost guarantee themselves a place.
My friend knows someone who went on one of those hideously expensive "get into Oxbridge courses," got an offer, as these people guaranteed, but then missed their grades! I was mildly amused, to say the least.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Have a look:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/choo...779599,00.html
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
My friend knows someone who went on one of those hideously expensive "get into Oxbridge courses," got an offer, as these people guaranteed, but then missed their grades! I was mildly amused, to say the least.
The firm does seem to know how to fake whatever the tutors are looking for.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The firm does seem to know how to fake whatever the tutors are looking for.
I think also its the case of these people being really motivated to getting in, and at times may not need this "extra" help. I personally wouldnt waste my money, because they can't really tell you anything that enlightening! As tutor's research interests can be found on the website as can applicant/college ratios...they have too much money and not enough sense :confused:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oxford's admissions office insists extra coaching is unnecessary. "The best preparation for applicants who want to secure a place at Oxford University is to work hard at their sixth-form studies," said a spokesman.

This is clearly a recipe to not be noticed IMO.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
I think also its the case of these people being really motivated to getting in, and at times may not need this "extra" help. I personally wouldnt waste my money, because they can't really tell you anything that enlightening! As tutor's research interests can be found on the website as can applicant/college ratios...they have too much money and not enough sense :confused:
I'm going to admit something pretty bad. I went on their interview training. I found it incredibly useful. I didn't think £140 was a bad deal at all, and paid for it using the money I earnt in my summer job. They were good because they really did know what they were talking about, unlike my college. They taught us to give considered, insightful responses, to not blurt out an answer when they've finished talking. They also provided us with a massive stash of past questions, some of which came up in the real thing. There were 4 other people I met on that one day just applying to Clare, that's one session of about 8 they held, which leads me to imagine around 32 of the Clare applicants got interview training from this single firm. Also, all the CLare applicants I met got in.

Though I completely agree that the people who would go this far are the people who are 100% committed to doing their very best, and it's highly likely their drive alone could have gotten them in, as long as they did the proper research.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (179)
15.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (129)
11%
Lack of purpose or motivation (166)
14.15%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.8%
Loneliness (101)
8.61%
Financial worries (39)
3.32%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.77%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.87%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (105)
8.95%

Watched Threads