This discussion is closed.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Perhaps a measure of how well it goes is how many phones start ringing whilst you're talking. I know what you mean about chattering and disinterest though, I suppose these people don't even really want to be there?
Hehe I didn't have any phones ring, I wonder how many phoned other people though !

Well they have to turn up, they don't get their email account or network passwords if they don't. The main function of it is to ensure they don't have time to read the list of rules they're signing to abide by and consequently giving them their network and email passwords. The rest is dull, it's mainly me saying don't use kazaa or you'll get caught, printing charges go on your bill, how to avoid viruses, not to use Outlook /Outlook Express and how to get computing help. All very boring, and this year we gave out a sheet of paper with it all on anyway... and the whole network was down for maintenance... so all we could say was "this is a computer, next time you come in here it'll be working".

I just hope that my talk is slightly more interesting than the librarian's!

Alaric.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
will you really get caught if you use kazaa?

and why no outlook/express?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm not entirely sure it was completely not wanting to be there. It's more a combination of moving away from home (not so bad for me as I'd already lived away from home in my Gap year), trying to make friends with endless randoms who you'll never see again, consuming more alcohol in a few days than I've ever consumed in my life before (ok, maybe a little exaggerration, but close - I had an angelic childhood for a long time ) and general sleep deprivation. I can't remember the librarian's talk very well either, and still don't know how everything works, so I guess that says something for yours, Alaric, as I haven't had any problems yet (apart from trying to print from the Macs :confused: )

Oh, and of course the endless stream of people saying "if you ever have any problems you can come and talk to me," (college parents, tutor, DoS, Welfare Officer, UCS President, Women's Officer.........)

What was in the piece of paper that you didn't want us to read then?
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
What was in the piece of paper that you didn't want us to read then?
Err something along the lines of:
You'll only use the computing facilities for academic purposes only, you won't bring the university into disrepute, blah blah blah. The main point was it was an A3 sheet of paper full of small text and reduced to an A4 page... we didn't have time to let you read the contract you were signing .

I read it before I arrived and not since, apart from the guidelines on use of USENET newsgroups, it was highly uninteresting.

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
will you really get caught if you use kazaa?
Yes the computer service publish a list of the 20 connections using the most traffic every day. The list contains the most used ports on the connection, so unless you're _very_ sneaky it shows up. The page claims not to be in breach of the data protection act 1998, but I think it's sailing close to it. I suspect that they get away with it by the other form you sign saying you waiver any DP rights.
There is a DC hub though, and other programs are looked on less suspiciously. I didn't say that though .

and why no outlook/express?
Viruses. I distrust them most strongly.
Outlook is much better than Outlook Express, but some of their design decisions have proved such security hazards I hear what else they've put in. Indeed and that's without any bugs there may be, and will be.

I use thunderbird as an alternative at the moment, but the university advocates Mulberry or the webmail service. I suggest the webmail service as I didn't find one fresher who hadn't used hotmail and therefore they're all at home with hotmail.

Alaric.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Webmail it is.

That's kinda scary about the usage monitoring. Pretty much guarantees trouble if you download a 700mb divx huh? I had some brightspark idea about leaving my PC at home, leaving it connected, then using some remote desktop software to download the files remotely before transferring them to myself. Clearly such a thing wouldn't work.

Don't get the wrong idea, I didn't apply to Cam to sit around abusing the internet connection for 19 hours per day, but it'd be nice to still have access to MP3s etc. I'm surprised they have a DC hub, that's very cool.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
DC++ all da way then
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
at cambridge can u play games like counter-strike?, or other lan/internet games?...............just wondering :P. probs wont have time to play stupid games.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That's kinda scary about the usage monitoring. Pretty much guarantees trouble if you download a 700mb divx huh? I had some brightspark idea about leaving my PC at home, leaving it connected, then using some remote desktop software to download the files remotely before transferring them to myself. Clearly such a thing wouldn't work.
Err, well I've downloaded 6 gigs in half an hour and not got *****ed at... so it seems to be how suspicious the traffic is, or if you're consistently using a lot more than everyone else. If you can get it off http/ftp it looks a lot less suspicious. The RD idea is quite good, if you tunnel it through SSH it probably won't get you that much stick. You could probably claim you were downloading something to do with your course anyhow.

Don't get the wrong idea, I didn't apply to Cam to sit around abusing the internet connection for 19 hours per day, but it'd be nice to still have access to MP3s etc. I'm surprised they have a DC hub, that's very cool.
Oh, I based my choice of college on the internet connection - how bad is that
The DC hub is strictly hush hush and not official... duh.

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
at cambridge can u play games like counter-strike?, or other lan/internet games?...............just wondering :P. probs wont have time to play stupid games.
They tell you not to.

However, they don't use very much in the way of traffic, so you're unlikely to get caught. You also get a remarkably cool ping .
http://ban.joh.cam.ac.uk/cam_quake/main.html may interest you... the Queens compsci DoS is very cool indeed.

There are a couple of colleges that operate totally locked down networks, but mostly they are totally open apart from a couple of worm ports.

iTunes music streaming is the latest cool fad...

Alaric.
KaiserSoze
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
iTunes music streaming is the latest cool fad...

Alaric.
Yeah, iTunes is so cool, you have access to more music than you could possibly ever listen to!

btw, does anyone know how much bandwith the music streaming takes up?
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I only ever had one mock interview and it was with a non-musician who had some notes in front of him.It was very funny because I kept mentioning things which weren't on his notes and he told me afterwards that he had learnt a lot about the politics of mozart operas from me and was going to listen to them . I don't think it helped in my interview at cam but it was a laugh.
lucerna
Report 17 years ago
I don't think I'd ever pay for a place, if I didn't get in. I think you'd be sitting there amongst all genuine Cambridge people, constantly feeling infereior and knowing that you wouldn't have got in otherwise, if it hadn't been for the money. I don't think I could take that.

I think it's unfair that some people go on these courses - only because it makes it harder for the rest of us. It probably depends on what they coach. If it's mainly confidence-building etc, then fine...but knowing the answers to questions beforehand? I'm not so sure. I had one mock interview, which was interesting, though sadly very different to what really took place at Cambridge. My tutor kept trying to make me prepare for general questions to do with politics etc...which I just ignored. I don't think biologists care that much, apart from being able to have an opinion generally, and on the topics that matter.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lucerna)
I don't think I'd ever pay for a place, if I didn't get in. I think you'd be sitting there amongst all genuine Cambridge people, constantly feeling infereior and knowing that you wouldn't have got in otherwise, if it hadn't been for the money. I don't think I could take that.

I think it's unfair that some people go on these courses - only because it makes it harder for the rest of us. It probably depends on what they coach. If it's mainly confidence-building etc, then fine...but knowing the answers to questions beforehand? I'm not so sure. I had one mock interview, which was interesting, though sadly very different to what really took place at Cambridge. My tutor kept trying to make me prepare for general questions to do with politics etc...which I just ignored. I don't think biologists care that much, apart from being able to have an opinion generally, and on the topics that matter.
Fair enough that you object to people paying for interview training, but would you say it is equally unfair that applicants can get an idea for free of what kinds of questions might be asked by going to http://oa.waveflex.com/ ?
naelse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't think training on potential questions would have made any difference to my interview- mainly because most of the initial questions were based on my personal statement, and then I ended up nattering on about Bowling for Columbine (which I'd watched the night before) and a really cool novel that I'd seen in my library that week. Turned out that my interviewer had just read the novel too, but there was no way that anyone could have predicted that, as it had nothing to do with my subject.

My teachers at school kept telling me to prepare answers to questions such as (why classics? why cambridge? why this college? ec but they never came up in the interview. if they had, i would have been well stuffed!

I can see how the confidence builder would help, though I found a good workout at the gym listening to my favorite tunes helped no end.
lucerna
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Fair enough that you object to people paying for interview training, but would you say it is equally unfair that applicants can get an idea for free of what kinds of questions might be asked by going to http://oa.waveflex.com/ ?
In all honesty, I don't know - and thinking about it, if interviewers can tell about preparation, then there probably isn't that much advantage to be gained from knowing something about the questions beforehand. Oxbridge admissions are a little different in that it's the students - when I had a look (there wasn't anything specific to my course though) it was mainly getting a feel for the sort of atmosphere and situation of the interviews - which is helpful in calming nerves but probably not much more. Mainly it is just people leaving their experiences of Cambridge (yes, I did one too) I don't mind about the website as much, as in essence, it's open to everyone. The extra questions from paying for courses aren't really however.
quinnbrakes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My school offered interview training wasnt aimed directly at oxbridge or university just confidence, body language, first impression and all that.

Intrestingly oxbridge candidates were told to avoid it as it would come across as fake in your real interview.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I sincerely doubt that interviewers can telll apart from with the candidates who make it ridiculously obvious, using phrases they're clearly not familiar with, feigning interests which they clearly know nothing about.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Imagine this:

You auctioned your Cambridge place.
imagine the bids u would get.
i swear, some1 would bid like £1, 000, 000 for it.
a rich father who's son is at a private school or something.
It's be worth around £100,000, just in terms of the (potential) difference in earning power and opportunities.
lucerna
Report 17 years ago
I sincerely doubt that interviewers can telll apart from with the candidates who make it ridiculously obvious, using phrases they're clearly not familiar with, feigning interests which they clearly know nothing about.
I bet you'd be surprised - the majority of these guys will have been interviewing (and then teaching the successful interviewees) for years - and hundreds of candidates each time (and are probably extremely intelligent) If it were partly your job, I think you'd develop a talent.

Of course they can't spot everyone - but you'd end up with more cases of say: people seemingly knowing the answers first-off or being more confident, then when being questionsed or probed, floundering. People who've deserved to get in wouldn't (I'd imagine) have that problem - being bright enough to stand up on their own - and hence get in (regardless of coaching)..but people whose intelligence and good-performance is only superficial would be fairly transparent to your generic - seasoned - interviewer.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads