The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bono
Imagine this:

You auctioned your Cambridge place.

imagine the bids u would get.

i swear, some1 would bid like £1, 000, 000 for it.

a rich father who's son is at a private school or something.

or just a rich dude with a dumbass for a kid. who would then flunk as soons as they got here
Reply 61
Jools
It's be worth around £100,000, just in terms of the (potential) difference in earning power and opportunities.

Which job exists whereby an 'Oxbridge experience' will up your earnings by that much (potentially)??
Reply 62
errm... law

I've been told that it's a great deal easier to get a pupillage if you have an Oxbridge degree

and now that I think of it... everything else!! lol
Reply 63
naelse
errm... law

I've been told that it's a great deal easier to get a pupillage if you have an Oxbridge degree

That may be true (for certain sectors of the Bar). But why?
Reply 64
My A level Law text book informs me that it's the 'old boy mentality'. Must be pretty strong because it's in the chapter about the effect that organisations like the Free Masons have on representation at the bar.

Scary.
hornblower you are too up yourself. I agree oxbridge is a great place to go but only if its the right place for an individual. I applied not really but never set my heart on it cos I thought there would be no chance of getting in. When I went to interview I hated it but got a place. Are you saying people should go to ox just because they were given a place? the prospectuses lie so how are we meant to know whats its like there?
Reply 66
"I've been offered a place at Cambridge but will probably reject the offer. If it were possible, would anyone pay for my place?"

How can anyone reject a Cambridge place? Unless its not the subject you want to do then it sounds like sheer arrogance (and naivety too).

Paddy
Reply 67
boris
the prospectuses lie so how are we meant to know whats its like there?

MY GOD! Maybe you should visit the place first!!! Now that WOULD be an idea.
Reply 68
happypad
"I've been offered a place at Cambridge but will probably reject the offer. If it were possible, would anyone pay for my place?"

How can anyone reject a Cambridge place? Unless its not the subject you want to do then it sounds like sheer arrogance (and naivety too).

Paddy

I visited Cambridge on an open day and decided to apply. After spending a couple of days there for my interview and becoming more familiar with the place I realised, however, that it was not the university for me. How is that "sheer arrogance"? Besides, how can you, as Cambridge student that asks "how can anyone reject a Cambridge place?" and fails to appreciate that not everyone likes Cambridge, accuse me of arrogance and naivety?

Latest

Trending

Trending