Turn on thread page Beta

10 Things I hate about open days watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don't you just hate uni open days, especially when it includes something like an interview or even just an 'informal chat'. Thought I'd compile a list of things to hate about them, feel free to add your own.

1. Having to go to them.
    2. Having to go to them, even if you've already been offered a place.
    3. Parents wanting to go with you.
    4. Parents going with you, and then telling other parents about your entire life story.
    5. Turning up late and being watched by lots of judgemental eyes.
    6. Seeing that all the other applicants are cooler than you.
    7. Seeing that all the other applicants are geeks.
    8. Having to talk to said geeks / 'cool' people.
    9. Feeling stupid when you don't understand anything the lecturers talk about.
    10. Feeling stupid when you don't understand anything the other applicants talk about.

Yeah, open days are great...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't gone to a single one.

ReputationRep:
    aww!

ReputationRep:
    It depended on the uni for me really. Some open days I enjoyed, others were a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    i never went to one

ReputationRep:
    I hated the way my sister would be really friendly and want to talk to everyone and find out everything, and then get angry with me on the drive home because she was jealous that I was going to University and she never did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_87)
    Don't you just hate uni open days, especially when it includes something like an interview or even just an 'informal chat'. Thought I'd compile a list of things to hate about them, feel free to add your own.

1. Having to go to them.
    2. Having to go to them, even if you've already been offered a place.
    3. Parents wanting to go with you.
    4. Parents going with you, and then telling other parents about your entire life story.
    8. Having to talk to said geeks / 'cool' people.
    10. Feeling stupid when you don't understand anything the other applicants talk about.

Yeah, open days are great...
    you've been to quite a few haven't you.

i'll add some more

11. seeing that everyone else is smarter than you
    12. finding out they are all chavs
    13. having a 'surprise' interview....
    14. ...whilst your parents are listening.
    15. having the gut feeling you have no chance of getting into that uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_87)

:ditto::hmpf::albertein and food that we are expected to eat... not looking forward to that (fussy eater :p: )

ReputationRep:
    the food is lush (compared to grivel we eat at BSB)

ReputationRep:
    is it a buffet?

ReputationRep:
    Falling in love with the said uni and knowing you wont get in

ReputationRep:
    I always enjoyed open days! Maybe that's just because I'm a nosy person

ReputationRep:
    i beg your pardon?

where? bsb, uni?

in one uni, they gave us cards and we got sandwitches, in others it was buffet, in another uni, it was just fruit and veg.

--------------

(Original post by Chocolate-Chip)
    I always enjoyed open days! Maybe that's just because I'm a nosy person
    attention seeker! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    attention seeker! :eek:
    Scandalous, isn't it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It totally depends on the weather, and on who's showing you around. At Bristol everyone seemed to be with someone already, it was pissing with rain, I only really talked to the tour guide (who was the biggest social misfit I have ever met) and I generally didn't like it. At Exeter it was really nice and sunny, the tour guide was much better and I hung around with a really nice girl from Manchester who I since stayed in touch with. The whole experience was much more positive.

However, I recognised that my experience with Bristol had been bad and wasn't entirely representative, and so I went back with my mum in the Easter holidays and basically organised my own "open day" so I could see the bits I'd missed before. It was completely different, and I ended up choosing it.

I think you're better off going to official open days on your own, but having your parents with you if you randomly go to look round.

ReputationRep:
    when other visitors seem to see it as a fashion show, silly people.

when it rains, every uni looks dull when it rains and it skews your perception of somewhere

ReputationRep:
    The weather does really make a big difference, i went to one open day on my own and every1 else was with parents and it was so funny with people being so embaressed and some of the stuff parents were saying (being stupidly over protective). The best open days are when the parents are taken on a seperate tour for the day and the students go on there own tour and get to know each other without parents being around.

ReputationRep:
    Open days are a mixed bag. In did UCL, Bris and LSE. They were all offputting as it p*ssed it down with rain and everyhting looked dull and gloomy. And I got lost on the way to the station after Bris. Depends so much on the weather (seriously), the guide, the people etc etc.

Might have already posted this before, but after taking half a dozen open day groups as a guide (£10 for 45mins work...), i planted a mate in the group. Aside from asking irritating open-day-visitor-type questions for the first 20 mins, he was then abducted by 5 balaclava-d guys that jumped out of a car that screached to a halt beside us. Bundled up, thrown in the boot and sped off fown the road. The looks on my groups faces were priceless. I'd be interested to know whether any of the group ended up at Bris...

edited:
    Things i hate:

1) The p*ss warm tea that you can't tell from the coffee.
    2) The p*ss warm coffee you can't tell from the tea.
    3) The rain. Invariably and always.

ReputationRep:
    The weather thing is true, in June (y'know when it was blisteringly hot - it was Glastonbury weekend actually!) I went to see Nottingham and Loughborough. I saw L'boro on the Thursday, the campus is attractive, but the buildings are a bit 70's. Having said, it was a blisteringly hot day - so it instantaneously looked better. While we were there we were walking across the rugby pitches, which had sprinklers on. Underneath the sprinklers were 10 of the most attractive men I have ever seen, sprinting around in lycra hotpantesque things.

I was instantly in love!!

Anyhow, the next day, there was a huge, huge thunderstorm in the morning, it was pouring with rain all day and.....We went to Nottingham! As you can imagine, Nottingham is a very big place, with lots of wide open expanse. In this rain, this was not pleasant, not pleasant at all!! V big shame as Nottingham is actually a v attractive campus and I'd imagine would be lovely in the sun...!

--------------

(Original post by brabzzz)
    Open days are a mixed bag. In did UCL, Bris and LSE. They were all offputting as it p*ssed it down with rain and everyhting looked dull and gloomy. And I got lost on the way to the station after Bris. Depends so much on the weather (seriously), the guide, the people etc etc.

Might have already posted this before, but after taking half a dozen open day groups as a guide (£10 for 45mins work...), i planted a mate in the group. Aside from asking irritating open-day-visitor-type questions for the first 20 mins, he was then abducted by 5 balaclava-d guys that jumped out of a car that screached to a halt beside us. Bundled up, thrown in the boot and sped off fown the road. The looks on my groups faces were priceless. I'd be interested to know whether any of the group ended up at Bris...

edited:
    Things i hate:

1) The p*ss warm tea that you can't tell from the coffee.
    2) The p*ss warm coffee you can't tell from the tea.
    3) The rain. Invariably and always.
    Oh god I so hope someone does that on any I go to, I'd literally kill myself laughing!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I hated Nottingham when I visited and turned down a ridiculously easy offer. In retrospect, this probably had everything to do with the crap weather and crap tour guide, and nothing to do with the university or the place.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.