The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
From what I can tell, bis432's anti-diet posts come from the fact he's trying to deny he's overweight :p: :p:
Reply 21
Wineblood
From what I can tell, bis432's anti-diet posts come from the fact he's trying to deny he's overweight :p: :p:

Its funny you should say that because allmost all body builders are...
(technically)
Reply 22
Didnt make that v clear, it's Weight Watchers magazine, Im not somebody who'd ever read somehting like closer/now or whatever, got better things to do with my time. Ive posted my details a few posts above this one.

good. well weight watchers arent going to put into their magazine articles about people who their diet didnt help are they? they do it to promote it, and its likely that alot of what is said in it is lies.

anyway, you sound very active and you arent overweight or anything. best thing you can do is some calorie counting and a few little tricks to help boost your metabolism and being persistant with your exercising instead of following weight watchers. weight watchers is ok for middle age women who are actually overweight and need to drop it, and that aint you. dont waste time and money with weight watchers, there are easier ways of dropping a few stubborn pounds.

--------------

Wineblood

yes im overweight :rolleyes:. my BMI is like 25.3. but my bodyfat is about 9-10%. i guess you could say im overweight, but not with fat.
Reply 23
bis432
yes im overweight :rolleyes:. my BMI is like 25.3. but my bodyfat is about 9-10%. i guess you could say im overweight, but not with fat.

So that means what ?? I know about BMI but I'm clueless when it comes to body fat %age.
I guess the important bit is being comfortable with your body, my BMI is over 30 but it's not a problem so :biggrin:
Reply 24
Wineblood
So that means what ?? I know about BMI but I'm clueless when it comes to body fat %age.
I guess the important bit is being comfortable with your body, my BMI is over 30 but it's not a problem so :biggrin:

meaning i have very little fat on me, but more than i usually do.
Reply 25
Simple changes you can make instead of buying a magazine:

Eat wholemeal foods: brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, i think the reasoning behind this is it stops insulin spikes or something which make you hungry or along those lines.

Water: drink 4+ litres of water a day it prevents water retention and other stuff don't wanna go into it in case i'm wrong

Calorie count: As long as you eat under your maintenance amount of calories you will lose fat, this is a fact, couple this with exercise 3 times a week and it should drop off.

Problem with magazines is that they have to keep on producing different articles each month and week and the fact is there are not that many ways of losing the lard so they have to print a lot of rubbish to sell the magazines.
Reply 26
So you normally strut around at less than 8% bodyfat? Dream on fella. I'm not denying you're lean but <8% is the kind of condition bodybuilders get on stage at, and athletes compete at the olympics at, not what some everyday person lives at.

Anyway, to the OP, will you follow a weight watches diet for the rest of your life? Probably not, in which case its no good.
Reply 27
imasillynarb
So you normally strut around at less than 8% bodyfat? Dream on fella. I'm not denying you're lean but <8% is the kind of condition bodybuilders get on stage at, and athletes compete at the olympics at, not what some everyday person lives at.

nope really, im normally around 10% but at summer time im usually slightly less. never said less than 8 normally, infact i doubt ive been much less than that before. bodybuilders get on stage at 8ish? i dont think so. they go way below that, think of dexter jackson. even stallone was at 4% and 210 pounds at one time for a film and hes just an actor. even my brother who spends most of his life drinking and eating and hardly exercises is around 8% and a reasonable size. its genetics.
Reply 28
The bodyfat levels reached by bodybuilders is greatly exagerated, if you get to 6-8% as a natural you've done well, assited 4-6% is the norm really, bare in mind that starvation victims generally die when they reach 4% bodyfat..
Reply 29
imasillynarb
The bodyfat levels reached by bodybuilders is greatly exagerated, if you get to 6-8% as a natural you've done well, assited 4-6% is the norm really, bare in mind that starvation victims generally die when they reach 4% bodyfat..

starvation victims die when they are 4% because they have no resource for energy in their bodies from food, but bodybuilders sure dont starve themselves. as long as they have food constantly coming in its possible but dangerous too. the bodyfat levels are sometimes exaggerated when measured but its also often true. my brother has very low bodyfat around 7 - 8% which has been measured in many different ways and he does all the wrong things, so people with good genes who do try and bring it lower naturally isnt exactly impossible without steriods.
Reply 30
A diet is for life. Eat good for a month, loose weight, carry on how you were before and put it straight back on.
Reply 31
jameso88
Simple changes you can make instead of buying a magazine:

Eat wholemeal foods: brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, i think the reasoning behind this is it stops insulin spikes or something which make you hungry or along those lines.

Water: drink 4+ litres of water a day it prevents water retention and other stuff don't wanna go into it in case i'm wrong

Calorie count: As long as you eat under your maintenance amount of calories you will lose fat, this is a fact, couple this with exercise 3 times a week and it should drop off.

Problem with magazines is that they have to keep on producing different articles each month and week and the fact is there are not that many ways of losing the lard so they have to print a lot of rubbish to sell the magazines.

Wholemeal stuff is better because its not so high in carbs.
I always thought it was 2 lites, but i might be wrong, anyway lots of water is good!
Be careful with calorie restricting, make sure you get enough, the recommended intake for a woman is around 2,000 a day, but this is going to depend on your size, your metabolism, how much exercise you do etc. if you restrict your calories to much, you might end up ill, keep to 1,000 a day at the least.
just try and get into the habit of eating healthy. its not as hard as it sounds! and it actually works out cheaper as well, you can buy a bag of apples for about a pound a big bar of chocolate is £1. and the apples will last longer as well, i always chocolate as soon as i have it!
Reply 32
I wasn't saying go really low with the calories but as long as she is below her maintenance she should lose weight, as she said she is 10.5 stone her maintenace should be rougly 1800 or there abouts and as long as she eats under this she will lose weight, i am in no weigh suggesting going below 1000, its just weight loss is merely calories in calories out so she would lose weight eating just below the 1800 figure without doing any exercise.
Reply 33
jameso88
I wasn't saying go really low with the calories but as long as she is below her maintenance she should lose weight, as she said she is 10.5 stone her maintenace should be rougly 1800 or there abouts and as long as she eats under this she will lose weight, i am in no weigh suggesting going below 1000, its just weight loss is merely calories in calories out so she would lose weight eating just below the 1800 figure without doing any exercise.

I know you werent saying to have a really low calorie intake. its just some people might think that the less calories they eat, they faster they will loose weight, without knowing the health risks. some people only eat 700cal a day. this works for a while, but then your body goes into starvation mode, and stores fat (i think) and when you eat normally, you just balloon up. although varying your calorie intake can help speed up your metabolism (apparently), eg. you eat 1,700 calories on day 1,750 the next, 1,800 the day after, and then start again. thats just way to much calorie counting for me though! and ive heard that some people take this to extemes as well, 200cal, 400cal, 600 cal, 800cal, this has to be so bad for you!

and i really should get off here and go and revise!
Reply 34
bis432
starvation victims die when they are 4% because they have no resource for energy in their bodies from food, but bodybuilders sure dont starve themselves. as long as they have food constantly coming in its possible but dangerous too. the bodyfat levels are sometimes exaggerated when measured but its also often true. my brother has very low bodyfat around 7 - 8% which has been measured in many different ways and he does all the wrong things, so people with good genes who do try and bring it lower naturally isnt exactly impossible without steriods.

Bruce Lee had just over 1% body fat when he died and this was probably a major reason why.
Reply 35
Elipsis
Bruce Lee had just over 1% body fat when he died and this was probably a major reason why.

bruce lee died of a cerebral brain edema. probably because of the aspirin he took. and he wanted to die young too because he knew he could never face losing his physical abilities. he was amazing. so small in size yet so strong and powerful.
Reply 36
He died because of the mixture of drugs he took including aspirin, this was because he didn't have enough body fat to absorb them all at once then kaboom dead. He rocks though.
Reply 37
back to the op's question when i went i lost 3.5 lbs within a week,.. was extra good though, but no exercising
Reply 38
Elipsis
He died because of the mixture of drugs he took including aspirin, this was because he didn't have enough body fat to absorb them all at once then kaboom dead. He rocks though.

The word "noob" comes to mind :rolleyes:
Reply 39
Wineblood
The word "noob" comes to mind :rolleyes:

Wait im getting called a noob by somebody who doesn't know what BMI and % body fat means in relation to the body - thanks.
Please put me out of my misery, i would love to be proven wrong :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending