The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sire
nah, skiing is perfectly safe. Never seen anyone hurt themself whilst doing some casual skiing.

except my aunty who broke her arm in llandudno
Reply 21
thefish_uk
I know my dad hurt his knee skiing on holiday, and doesn't really want to do skiing that much more again.

Also someone I know got hit by a pellet from a pellet gun I think while skiing.

i dont think that happens much
Reply 22
Sire
nah, skiing is perfectly safe. Never seen anyone hurt themself whilst doing some casual skiing.

the skiing is fine, its the falling over you've got to be careful of.
Dickie

Yeah, you don't want to twist your knee.

There was this one guy I read about who removed a foam protector from a ski-lift support and used it to sled down the slope on. And he died when he collided with the exact same post that he'd taken the foam from.
Reply 24
thefish_uk
Yeah, you don't want to twist your knee.

There was this one guy I read about who removed a foam protector from a ski-lift support and used it to sled down the slope on. And he died when he collided with the exact same post that he'd taken the foam from.

lol. what a lucky guy
Reply 25
Dickie

or the bears hiding behind the trees on the slopes
Reply 26
eric bischoff
or the bears hiding behind the trees on the slopes

or the trees themselves
Reply 27
Dickie
or the trees themselves

there evil arent they
eric bischoff
it looks it but it aint

Yes it is. I've heard many people breaking a leg. If you fall over and your leg gets twisted that's it. Eww, I'm too squeemish, I won't say anymore.
I have the chance in a few days to go skiing, but I might just opt for snowball fights or maybe, only maybe snowboarding. That doesn't look as dangerous.
Reply 29
gemgems89
Yes it is. I'ev heard many people breaking a leg. If you fall over and your leg gets twisted that's it. Eww, I'm too squeemish, I won't say anymore.
I have the chance in a few days to go skiing, but I might just opt for snowball fights or maybe, only maybe snowboarding. That doesn't look as dangerous.

skiing is only dangerous if you try and go ahead of yourself.Snowboarding seems more dangerous because you need a good balance
eric bischoff
skiing is only dangerous if you try and go ahead of yourself.Snowboarding seems more dangerous because you need a good balance

But say you get unbalanced in skiing, how are you supposed to fall over without twisting (YUK) your leg? I've tried learning skiing once, and the skiis are so big that it seems impossible to fall without twisting your leg.
Reply 31
gemgems89
But say you get unbalanced in skiing, how are you supposed to fall over without twisting (YUK) your leg? I've tried learning skiing once, and the skiis are so big that it seems impossible to fall without twisting your leg.

the ski's they have now work well.If you fall over they unattach to the boots so you cant twist your ankle as easy as before
Reply 32
eric bischoff

snowboarding is a lot less dangerous than skiing as falls tend to be less serious. If you fall on a snowboard, the worst you are really going to do is dislocate your tailbone. skiing, you are more likely to have a bad fall, particularly to do with leg breakage or fracture.
Reply 33
'
{ingnik']snowboarding is a lot less dangerous than skiing as falls tend to be less serious. If you fall on a snowboard, the worst you are really going to do is dislocate your tailbone. skiing, you are more likely to have a bad fall, particularly to do with leg breakage or fracture.

having said that, snowboarding is more frequently painful than skiiing (more falls in general!). however not so dangerous.
eric bischoff
the ski's they have now work well.If you fall over they unattach to the boots so you cant twist your ankle as easy as before

Then that's ok. But what if they don't have them?
Reply 35
'
{ingnik']having said that, snowboarding is more frequently painful than skiiing (more falls in general!). however not so dangerous.

skiing is for people with a ok balance and someone who can take the height and speed of the slopes
Reply 36
eric bischoff
skiing is for people with a ok balance and someone who can take the height and speed of the slopes

yeh, im no good with speed! but then again my m8 who is a highly proficient skier found snowboarding much much harder.
Reply 37
gemgems89

all of them do.It is safety rules and a skiing club cant hand out ski's if they dont match the rules
Reply 38
'
{ingnik']yeh, im no good with speed! but then again my m8 who is a highly proficient skier found snowboarding much much harder.

does he have a good balance?
Reply 39
gemgems89

All skis have release bindings now.

I ski for Nottingham Uni ski team...I used to go every week from the age of eight until I left for uni, now I train for four hours a week and race for five hours every two weeks. :biggrin:

Nottingham Uni Snowsports Website

Latest

Trending

Trending