Scottish MA (General) Watch

bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Is a Scottish MA (General) a lower kind of degree compared to a English BA (Hon)? Do Edinburgh or St. Andrews offer it?
KerriT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know St. Andrews offer it. It is considered lower from people I know and just my general impression, but if you aren't sure what you really want to do and want to have a broad base then it could be good for you. In my opinion if you are looking at a job like retail management it should be fine, they just ask for you to have a degree. However, if you want to be a teacher or something like that you won't get a job unless you do further study.
bryan
Rep:
?
So MA (General) graduates will be disadvantaged when applying for graduate jobs, for example graduate traineeships (eg. trainee accountant...etc.)? By the way, I couldn't find the UCAS no. of it on St. Andrews' web site.
Davie_Moyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is and MA (General) not a 3 year course?
bryan
Rep:
?
I think it is usually a 3 year course. But you can stay on to do more courses.
Icecradle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh the joys of google.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/services...%20version.pdf

found this.
jimmydoerre3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_MA i am so confused
Icecradle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's about the MA(Hons) Jimmy, not the MA(General)
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My mum has an MA general, and has experience of applying for jobs and it being considered higher than BA(Hons).
bryan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acaila)
My mum has an MA general, and has experience of applying for jobs and it being considered higher than BA(Hons).
Where did she take her MA (General)?
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Glasgow uni, and its in German and Philosophy if that helps. Also, she was headhunted in Australia for a job which she told me was specifically because they were so impressed she had an MA instead of a BA or BA(hons)
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Glasgow uni, and its in German and Philosophy if that helps. Also, she was headhunted in Australia for a job which she told me was specifically because they were so impressed she had an MA instead of a BA or BA(hons)
bohogirlie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bryan)
Is a Scottish MA (General) a lower kind of degree compared to a English BA (Hon)? Do Edinburgh or St. Andrews offer it?
A BA is a batchelor of arts, an MA is a master of arts. You have to take a BA before you can do a MA (or a BSc before you can do a MSc etc.), therefore a MA is a higher qualification. Thats why scottish uni courses are four years rather than the usual english degrees, which are only 3 years.
jimmydoerre3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bohogirlie)
A BA is a batchelor of arts, an MA is a master of arts. You have to take a BA before you can do a MA (or a BSc before you can do a MSc etc.), therefore a MA is a higher qualification. Thats why scottish uni courses are four years rather than the usual english degrees, which are only 3 years.
The MA (Honors) politics and economics is only three year though
bryan
Rep:
?
(Original post by jimmydoerre3)
The MA (Honors) politics and economics is only three year though
MA (Honors) politics and economics at which uni?
jimmydoerre3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bryan)
MA (Honors) politics and economics at which uni?
university of edinburgh, oh wait crap, i just checked and it said 4 years, should have read more before i applied.......
Busybee3
Report 12 years ago
The reason scottish university courses are four years is not because of the MA thing, not all universities offer the MA and are still four year courses. In Scotland honours degree courses last four years, which is equivalent to doing an access course plus a degree elsewhere in the UK.

A Scottish MA is the undergraduate academic degree in Humanities and Social Science faculties given at the five Scottish ancient universities. Although the degree is named MA (Master of Arts), it is considered equivalent to the BA (Bachelor of Arts) awarded elsewhere by most universities.
flexiblefish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_MA

should clear this up
bred
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Already posted.
StAndrewsIR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Scottish MA(General) < Scottish MA(Hons) = English BA(Hons) = BSc(Hons) < MLitt = MSci < PhD
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.23%
No (487)
60.8%
Not really bothered about them (168)
20.97%

Watched Threads