This discussion is closed.
Hades
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hey, just say you get an offer for a particular university, and you accept it as your firm choice. You get the grades and all that, but when you get there you decide you want to change course, though stay at that university. Is that possible?
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)
Hey, just say you get an offer for a particular university, and you accept it as your firm choice. You get the grades and all that, but when you get there you decide you want to change course, though stay at that university. Is that possible?

Yep, it is within reason. What course have you applied for and what course would you like to do? (Would be literally impossible to transfer to Medicine by the way)
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)
Yeah you can do that at most unis. Im trying to change from Theoretical Physics to Natural Sciences atm. You just have to email the admissions tutor
Hades
Thanks guys!
Basically, I have an offer for Politics & Development Studies from SOAS, but I've decided I want to change it to Politics & Social Anthropology. I'm going to the open day next week- do you think if I talked to an admissions tutor, they'd amend my offer?
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)

Really does depend on the university. At some institutions it's very easy, at others it's almost impossible. There is sometimes the possibility of changing after your first year too, however it's not always advisable. It's perhaps a good idea to call the university you're interested in.

Generally, (as is obvious) it's easier to change within department.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)
Thanks guys!
Basically, I have an offer for Politics & Development Studies from SOAS, but I've decided I want to change it to Politics & Social Anthropology. I'm going to the open day next week- do you think if I talked to an admissions tutor, they'd amend my offer?

They may, or they may accept you and allow you to change once you're there. The latter is likely, I think. Ask though.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)
Thanks guys!

Oh yes i think you will be able to change at SOAS. Despite being a great uni, they have many places for all courses left in Clearing..and so they shouldn't have any qualms about it..
Hades
I thought so! Thanks
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What about from English to English + Film Studies at KCL?!
Hades
(Original post by fionah)
What about from English to English + Film Studies at KCL?!
That should be fine- I'm guessing English single honours is harder to get into than English with Film Studies, so I'm sure they'll let you in

Also guys: So we know that switching at SOAS should be easy, but what about switching from Philosophy to Anthropology at UCL?
naelse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i know someone who switched from Engineering to German and Russian- at Cambridge
Daenerys
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)
Hi- some unis can be very understanding. But you must must ask before you go, else it'll get a lot harder once you're there. They can't take a place that has been offered to you (and accepted by you) away so don't be scared of ending up with nothing. Make sure you can explain why.
Hades
Oh dear. This is a bit of a nightmare. Are you sure it's difficult to change once you're there? I thought, once you get into a University, switching courses should be a cinch. It's getting in that's the hard part....right?
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)
Oh dear. This is a bit of a nightmare. Are you sure it's difficult to change once you're there? I thought, once you get into a University, switching courses should be a cinch. It's getting in that's the hard part....right?
I wanted to change after getting the grades and everything last year and I wasn't allowed. I'm now sitting at home looking at my ucas tracker for the 2nd year running....
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
might some unis insist on only allowing the swith if they were the firm acceptance? i wanna change from industrial eco to just eco.....for warwick...i got the offer like 2 months ago....wont they be a little angry if i emailed them now and asked to switch courses?
Hades
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Ask

It's the only way to be sure

From the sounds of it it would be simpler to get it sorted out now before you start the course...and from what you've described the course change you mention should be simple (unless the entrance requirements are stricter for the course you're changing too).
Basically, I've been predicted AAB, and Politics & Development Studies only ask for BBC. To do Politics with Social Anthropology however, requires ABB, which is just about lower than my predicted grades. They should let me right? I need some hope!
rah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Hades)
Basically, I've been predicted AAB, and Politics & Development Studies only ask for BBC. To do Politics with Social Anthropology however, requires ABB, which is just about lower than my predicted grades. They should let me right? I need some hope!
you are probably better off asking after you actually get your results i'm afraid
Hades
As I said ask.

Phone them up right now and ask if it could be considered (if you achieve your predicted grades).

They'll probably say yes and if they say no at least you know where you stand. Plus if they do say yes and you miss the offer level it's likely they'll be willing to switch you back onto the original course (if you're still interested) rather than let you go to your insurance uni.

It wont be held against you (they're likely taught in the same department), if anything it's a bonus because you're being honest and enthusiastic and keeping them informed of your state of mind instead of just turning into a no-show or phoning them up on results day asking to be released into clearing.
I'm going to the SOAS open day on Wednesday- do you think I should discuss it then?
Hades
That's perfect, you get to explain face to face why you're looking towards the new subject over the old one

although do it in a one to one interview type thing (either an organised one or hang around after the group things are done) don't just ask a general question about switching courses as this will almost certainly get a blanket no (universities like to discourage it because there's always some people who start one course expecting to transfer onto a much more competetive course even though they don't have the grades they need (I know people who started on geography courses expecting to transfer onto Law :rolleyes: ). It would help if you had your reasons etc planned out a little (rather than just saying "umm err that course seems better" you need to personalise it "that course seems better for me, as I've been getting further into my A2s I've developed an increasing interest in X and X which aren't covered in <old course> but form a substantial part of <new course>. I've also researched more thouroughly into the course structure and I don't think the X parts of <old course> suit my interest now (although they did when I was completing my UCAS form)"...and it's always worth mentioning a "SOAS has been my first choice of university throughout the application cycle...I would really love it if I could study the subject I love at the university I've been aiming at since xxxx")
Wow, thanks a lot!
One more thing: if they say yes, will they amend it on my ucas, or will they wait until I get my exam results and allow me to change course once I'm there?
Streetwize
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
most likely the latter
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (56)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (177)
15.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (128)
10.97%
Lack of purpose or motivation (165)
14.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.83%
Loneliness (101)
8.65%
Financial worries (39)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.8%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.8%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.31%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.91%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (104)
8.91%

Watched Threads