The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Any decent gyms in selly oak?

Hey guys, i'm a fresher at birmingham and at the moment i'm a member of the Uni gym at the munrow sports centre but it kind of annoys me how crowded it is constantly, especially considering the high price! New year i'll be living in selly oak and was wondering if anyone knew of any decent alternatives?
Original post by TheOneCurlyFry
Hey guys, i'm a fresher at birmingham and at the moment i'm a member of the Uni gym at the munrow sports centre but it kind of annoys me how crowded it is constantly, especially considering the high price! New year i'll be living in selly oak and was wondering if anyone knew of any decent alternatives?

I live in selly park and go to PUREGYM in the city centre down broad street next to cineworld ..... always empty when i go...... 24 hours .......17 quid a month what else could i ask for

from selly oak you could get the train to five ways and its a 5 min walk

...... (well it has no swimming pool but hey )

you heard of it before ???
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
There is a free gym on Tiverton Road, subsidised by Birmingham City Council.

It's free at the moment (if you're a Selly Oak resident and go at off-peak times) but I think they may be changing that (cuts ya know) - I still don't think it would be much though.

As far as I know it's all right. There's a fairly decent swimming pool

My friend prefers FitnessFirst on the Pershore Road but it's a bit of a trek.

If not, just run round Selly Park!
Reply 3
Fitness First on Pershore Road is good I think, my housemate goes there & she says it's £20 a month including all classes, it's not too busy, no swimming pool but all other facilities. She got a complimentary tan the other day....
Reply 4
I train primarily for powerlifting and strongman and I use coliseum gym in Aston (it's close to Aston Uni in town) - I normally get the train. I'm also a member of munrow and use that 4 days a week (I use coliseum twice for when I need to train strongman events etc such as log). I agree that munrow can get crowded but it doesn't usually affect me as I don't use the dumbells or preacher curls or anything to do with making me have bigger biceps as I couldn't really care about them. I suppose it all depends on your goals really. Most gyms would do if you just want to get a "toned" body. If you want to get SERIOUSLY strong, I'd stay at munrow or go to coliseum, ironworks in kings heath (that's more aimed at bodybuilding) and there's another one whose name escapes me. I've also probably seen you at the gym as I train 6 days a week usually (sometimes even 7). Also - I'm a fresher too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending