Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to do a maths degree next year and was wondering if anyone has ever had a tutor or if it is possible to have a private tutor whilst at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's the general case that you should require a tutor at uni, at least not the whole way through.

Any degree will provide example classes, or in the case of Oxbridge you have supervisions, where you go through question sheets in a small group (supervisions are either 1-1 or 2-1, so even more intense!) where most problems you have with the course should be ironed out. Any further problems can usually be sorted out if you go to your example class supervisor or lecturer in private. Many lecturers will have a time during the week you can go to their room and they'll answer questions people have on the course or particular conceptual problems.

If you require a private tutor the entire way through the year then it is the case you are at the wrong university and you should have gone to one which required lower entry grades and is probably working at a slower pace (a touch of a generalisation, but approximately true). Needing a bit of additional help towards the end of the year is understandable, and paying a student a few years ahead of you some money to give you help is possible (probably a PhD students, undergrads will all have exams).

It's the general opinion of lecturers that if you were good enough to get the entry grades you're good enough to pass the 1st year with a decent bit of work.

Is there any reason you feel you'll struggle from the first moment you start your degree?

ReputationRep:
    I think the signature says it all, to be frank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I think the signature says it all, to be frank.
    Really useful comment :damnmate:

Anyway in regard to alphanumeric's post, I guess I'm just a bit nervous about going to university. I would love (like most undergrads i guess) to get a 1st in my degree. Its not that I don't think that I'm capable of getting this without a tutor but was just interested to know if it was needed/possible.
    Its really helpful to know about the example classes and the fact that i can speak to lecturers out of lecture hours, I wasn't aware of this.
    Thanks for your post

ReputationRep:
    It's useful to be friendly with someone who is older than you who is willing to give you a hand here and there. Obviously you can't just abuse the friendship and just get them to do your work for you, but just to be able to knock on their door and say "Bob, I'm stuck on this bit of my linear algebra course, any chance you can explain this thing to me?" is very useful.

Similarly with lecturers, you can't just constantly ask them how to do questions, but asking for clarification on bits of the course is understandable.

ReputationRep:
    The thing about university is that you do most of the work yourself. You will have lectures and classes/tutorials to help you that are organised by the university. But beyond that, it is up to you how much work you put in; you aren't going to get everything in life on a plate. They expect you do as much as it takes outside organised lectures and classes for you to understand the work, and that means reading books and practising questions etc not just having someone give you all the answers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 5, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.