Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Bit nervous about getting housing sorted for my second year at Liverpool Uni. How soon do most people arrange to live together? From what ive been reading alot of people already have houses sorted? I didnt really want to rush into getting a house for few months at least, until i knew who i defo wanted to live with. There are a few people who i could possible get a house with but I want to wait to see for sure if i really want to live with them. Also incase I meet any new good friends who I could share with.
    Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    We are starting to look now. We have sorted who is going to be in the house. I am quite excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam2933)
    Hi, Bit nervous about getting housing sorted for my second year at Liverpool Uni. How soon do most people arrange to live together? From what ive been reading alot of people already have houses sorted? I didnt really want to rush into getting a house for few months at least, until i knew who i defo wanted to live with. There are a few people who i could possible get a house with but I want to wait to see for sure if i really want to live with them. Also incase I meet any new good friends who I could share with.
    Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
    Be careful about leaving it too long to make up your mind, or you might end up with no one to live with/no choice in housing. Most people I know are starting to look after Christmas and we've decided who we're living with already.

ReputationRep:
    yep second term is the time to start looking for a house, best to be organised about who you want to share with. Its not nessecary to start looking straight when you go back but don't leave it too long, as the best houses get snapped up v v quickly.

what you should do first is find: housemates, decide on number of you in a house. then decide rent, a maximum amount you can afford to pay but decide on a preferable average for all of you.

Then look at houses for your number and around (and below) your preferable rent. Location is key too, ask 2nd years where the best places to live are. think how long it takes you to get to certain places (campus or your key buildings, to town, to supermarket for shops, what bus routes are nearby, where your other friends are going to live) and perhaps decide on a favourite area you all want to live in.

Also the house. do all of you want double bed sized rooms? look at what furniture comes with it and what you will need to buy yourself. Bathroom size, can you share a tiny single bathroom with 6 of you in the house for example. What we found looking was that landlords will turn any room into a bedroom, it is really good to have a living room but dont expect two living areas (dining room/living room) kitchen equipment is essential too, decent usable cooker? large enough fridge and freezer? microwave?

If you sort this out quickly you will have the first up on other houseseekers, being organised is key. But don't be too picky, most houses won't fit your exact specifications so be willing to compromise, as an indvidual or as a group. and if you want more, you'll probably have to pay more to get it

ReputationRep:
    Five of the people in my house have already got a house for next year sorted. It seems so soon! I think we've sorted out six of us to live together, but we havent started looking yet.

ReputationRep:
    We sorted out our house this week. Really lovely. I wanna move in now tho. lol. We thought earlier we look, the nicer the house we'll get and the one we have is lovely. and quite cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in second year now and sharing - few housemate problems - make sure you KNOW the people you're going to live with or it will make you want to leave uni if they are as bad as mine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to approach the subject with friends on campus. I'm off campus with three other housemates right now, but we seem to want something different from the houses next year. Hm.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, what to do if you have no friends...

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck between two groups of friends and I don't want to piss one lot off who already seem to think 'we' are sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Do your homework and use a reputable property agency - I'm currently waiting for a hearing date, Im taking my landlord to court because he refuses to return my bond. He literally made up damage that didnt exist. :eek:

Make sure you photograph every inch of the place when you move in and when you move out, and demand to be present at the inspection he does when you move out.

Just general advice I thought you could use :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    advertise yourself as an individual willing to make numbers up - if most houses in your area are for 5 people look for a group of 4 or 2 2s to share with - it'll make it easier for everyone to get the house they're looking for.
    Good idea. (It's either that or get together with some people I don't know so well..)

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for the end of my tenancy - if my landlord doesn't give my bond back all hell will be let loose! We moved our stuff in on the 1st July this year then went home for the rest of the summer- he knew we had moved in he let his cleaners in and said anything that is in the house they should throw away - so the cleaners took most of my posessions apart from necessities such as clothes that I had left at home THEY STOLE EVERYTHING, bed sheets, quilts, bathmat, pans, cutlery, plates, a big moneybank full of money, all my kitchen things, all my posters! So I came back to my house in September and ended up having to fork out 100 pound for a night in a hotel because the heating was broken and all my bed sheets were gone! The landlord promised to reimburse us but still hasn't and I have since had to pay around 300 pound to replace everything but if he tries to take my deposit away and doesn't reimburse me I will be taking him to court too.

ReputationRep:
    Its never too early to start looking really. I'm actually in fourth year now, but i know that certainly in manchester theere is a bit of a mad scramble for houses. Its a horrible experience having to trawl round loads of houses mid winter, especially as half of the ones we looked at were right holes!
    as i'm on a 4yr course, most of my friends who i was sharing with left uni at the end of last year, whilst i'm still here. that threw up all sorts of problems and i only got my accommodation sorted about a week before the start of uni.
    the stress involved in leaving it that late is unbelievable!! i wouldn't recommend it

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.