Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesser weevil)
    If you were born in a pigsty, does that make you a pig?
    Nationality confuses me. i was born in Ireland, so can call myself Irish if I want to (which I dont), but I am English, have a british passport, etc. etc.
    so I dont know what makes you a nationality.
    Now in Ireland they say a mother has to be living in the country for 3 years before having her child if it is to be called Irish.
    so if that law had been in order when I was born - then I wouldn't be Irish.
    What would that make me?
    wahh I'm NOTHING!
    but then, I'm English. So I'm confused, and that's cool
    The Irish is a totally different ethnic group to the English.

Your ethnic background is Irish, but you are an English citizen?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't think she said that her ethnic background is Irish, did she?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batazer)
    The Irish is a totally different ethnic group to the English.

Your ethnic background is Irish, but you are an English citizen?
    I would love to be an English citizen.

One day! Come on England!

ReputationRep:
    oo I have an ethnic background? coool!!!!
    I'm an English citizen.
    Funny. I am by rights both Irish and English. If I went to Belfast or something and proclaimed that I'm Irish, because of my English accent they'd probably shoot me or something. I go to England, say I'm English, they say I have an indeterminate accent. Mix of Irish, English, and American, or something.
    What fun. What ho! I'm a mongrel.

(Original post by Bismarck)
    35 million Americans are black, 40 million are Hispanic, 2 million are Native Americans, and 12 million are Asians. That's 90 million out of a total population of 300 million.
    Hmmm, of the 12 million asians, would you say the majority are orientals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesser weevil)
    oo I have an ethnic background? coool!!!!
    I'm an English citizen.
    Funny. I am by rights both Irish and English. If I went to Belfast or something and proclaimed that I'm Irish, because of my English accent they'd probably shoot me or something. I go to England, say I'm English, they say I have an indeterminate accent. Mix of Irish, English, and American, or something.
    What fun. What ho! I'm a mongrel.
    We all have ethnic backgrounds, my ethnic background is 100% English.

Are your parents Irish or English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    The way it works it the US, some Asians are classed as White on the census, do I have that right? Arabs, Armenians, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think 'Caucasian' is the term used, not sure though.
    My information comes from ER.

--------------

Well apparently, I'm British and Somalian.
    I just missed out on adding Egyptian to the collection, though.

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen the breakdown, but I assume that the vast majority are from southeast Asia (China, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan). Though I did hear that there are over a million Arabs in the US (who are technically Asian), but most of them are Lebanese Christians.

--------------

(Original post by ArthurOliver)
    The way it works it the US, some Asians are classed as White on the census, do I have that right? Arabs, Armenians, etc.
    The census is done by self-identification. Everyone is whatever race they want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I have never seen the breakdown, but I assume that the vast majority are from southeast Asia (China, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan). Though I did hear that there are over a million Arabs in the US (who are technically Asian), but most of them are Lebanese Christians.

--------------

The census is done by self-identification. Everyone is whatever race they want to be.
    I think what happens is Arabs, Iranians, Lebanese etc, tick "other", because rightly they don't consider themselves White. Then when the CB assesses and charts it's data, they look to the comments section and see Egyptian, Lebanese, or whatever and toss them into the White category--they show up there in census stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batazer)
    We all have ethnic backgrounds, my ethnic background is 100% English.

Are your parents Irish or English?
    Engerlish, Engerlish, Engerlish Engerlish, nah nah... as they say...
    Or is that "Engerland" ROFL :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would think so.

Someone told me that when Parmindar Nagra (E.R , Bend it like Beckham) went to L.A. for the first time, she was disapointed becuase there wasn't any "brown people", I.E> south asians. Which is hilaraious becuase L.A is full of "brown people"...mexicans and south americans primarily......

But the south asian population of the US is the smallest minority population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Look at your passport, it tells you all you need to know.
    :rofl:

I'm American, born in Pennsylvania. Although my parents are Vietnamese, AND I've been living here in Mexico for the past, what, 6 years? And I'm a Mexican resident... So TECHNICALLY I'm *big breath* Vietnamese-American-Mexican.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    :rofl:

I'm American, born in Pennsylvania. Although my parents are Vietnamese, AND I've been living here in Mexico for the past, what, 6 years? And I'm a Mexican resident... So TECHNICALLY I'm *big breath* Vietnamese-American-Mexican.
    Yay - PENNSYLVANIA! Were you born in the east or west of the state?

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Texas, and we can say that we are better than Pennsylvania anyday. (Just kidding) Pennsylvania is a nice state, and the Western mountain region is gorgeous.

Back to the main topic. Although this is outside the two groups mentioned in the thread, I am Canadian. I am a Canadian citizen, I am a loyal subject of the Canadian corwn, and I associate myself as a Canadian. Even though I have live in the states for the past 8/9 years, I am still a Canadian because of my identity. That doesn't mean that I disgard my heritage. My parents came from India, and I can equally say that I cherish and respect my ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Yay - PENNSYLVANIA! Were you born in the east or west of the state?
    You´re from PA?!!? :eek: oh me goodness I live nera PHiladelphia,and was born in Abbington philly. YOu?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, anyway... being british or american has nothing to do wheter you are white or not. To be American, British or whatever is to simply wether you go by the laws of the government. Looking it from a way, it seems that your.. question was rather racist, since you mentioned being blakc or white

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    You´re from PA?!!? :eek: oh me goodness I live nera PHiladelphia,and was born in Abbington philly. YOu?
    Yep, I'm from the western part of the state, though. I live in Pittsburgh right now, but I'm from a town that's a bit west of the Appalachain Mtns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by london_1)
    It seems to me as though to be British or American you have to be white?

Height and Skin and other features are genetic, then why can people not accept people who are 'white' in all their ways except their colour?
    its just that most british and americans are white...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Yep, I'm from the western part of the state, though. I live in Pittsburgh right now, but I'm from a town that's a bit west of the Appalachain Mtns.
    Pittsburg!! That's like, an hour or so from my house! oh gosh! haha. oops, i'll PM you and leave this thread alone. :p:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.