AVG 2011 Free removed and now can't reinstall! HELP?! Watch

in_your_face
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have a fragmented hard-disk on my PC with 4 gigabytes partition where windows XP is installed and 140 gigabytes for the rest of the data. (physically, it just one hard-disk though).

When I installed AVG 2011 (3 months ago on a clean windows XP) it didn't ask me where I wanted to install it and so installed on a windows (4Gb partition that only had about 600 Mb of free space) and recently it was always complaining about being unable to install new updates due to lack of free space on the hard-disk.

I uninstalled it using standard uninstaller. It had some problems in removing it - it removed half of it and the other half was still working (AVG is 2011 is component-based). There was no way to uninstall it. I entered windows in safe mode as administrator and deleted all folders manually and then (in normal mode) used avg_remover_stf_x86_2011_1184.ex e to remove all other files associated with avg2011.

Tried installing again, I thought it went fine and then at the very end it gave me this error.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do? Don't want (and have no time right now) to reinstall windows, but I need an anti-virus programme.

this is what I get:

Miss Mary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could give this a try: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Haven't used it myself though.
tonberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just torrent it
Tams80
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Use Microsoft Security Essentials or another antivirus instead of wasting time getting AVG to work. It may leave 'residues' behind, but meh, it is best practice to reformat every now and then.

Don't torrent it.
n65uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try installing something else that uses MSI...such as Firefox maybe? If that install fails also, it indicates the MSI Service is broken/corrupt.

http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/download_firefox.htm

Or any other .msi file will do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads