ENG LIT ASLEVEL Form Language structure Watch

kelzy1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
AQA exam board.

I'm still struggling with form language structure.

Form : narrative voice- first, second, third person, perspective, point of view, characterisation, foreshadowing, setting.. what else?

Language : metaphors, similes.. what else?

Structure: Ceasural pause, enjambment, short sentences, sentence structure, ellipses, italics, refrains, chronology,

Where does repetition go? structure?
Can you think of any more?
ct93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Repetition is a structural point. Structure is really good to analyse in the exam; if something is referenced in the beginning of a text and then again at the end, you can discuss that as a structural point.

Language is also about the colours in the text, the effect of certain words, figurative language (metaphors, similies) - always try and say what the language does to the text and also what effect it has on the reader/listener.

Im doing AS too; I'm studying Great Gatsby, Enduring Love, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and the Browning Poems.

Good luck!
humera01
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for repitition you could talk about the effect of a refrain in a poem, recuring motifs, metsphores, or symbols.if you get a question on how a writer uses repitition to create meaning. for example a refrain may be used to suggest a lack of progress, or conversly suggest a inevitability; it depends on the poem.you could than link how the repitition contributes to the establishment of aspe3cts of narrative. for instand, a repated refrain may help to rienforce an aspect of a character or perhaps signify the importance of a event.
how much you can link to repitition depends on the text you are studying.
you could also argue that a predominant semantic field creates a sence of repitition, that aids in the chracterisation of the narrative voice.
hope that helps, let me knwo what texts your studyign and i might be able to help a bit more..im studying great gatsby, enduing love, auden and tennyson
humera01
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ohh yeha and you coulpd also talk about anaphoric repitition and the effect it has
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.75%
No - but I will (53)
7.02%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
47.95%

Watched Threads