I have to do an english presentation on the death penalty, is my introduction stupid? Watch

JenJen_1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm pretty happy with the rest of my speech, but I'm concerned my introduction.

The start of my speech is something like this:
"An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth".
This is the most commonly used cliche that first appeared at around 2500 BC in ancient Babylonian law, that supporters of the death peanlty use.
Sounds fair, doesn't it?
But when we consider it carefully, we realize that it is no longer something that is applicable to modern society.
I'll take a superficial example. A friend breaks your phone, would you break theres? Or would it be logical just for them to purchase you a new one?
Now, I'm not saying that a human life is anything like a phone, but, all the same, we must admit that the fundemental principle of this law is no longer used- it may have been fine 4000 years ago, in a society which, was undeniably biased- someone committing a crime against his social superior was punished a lot more harshly than if it was the other way around, but this law has no place in modern society today.

As you may have guessed, my speech is regarding whether the death penalty should be incorporated into the justice system. The justice system in the UK is....... (and so on).

I'm a little worried about the intro, what do you people think? How can I imporve it, or should I just scrap it?
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, I disagree with you.

But, well, what level are you at? For GCSE or anything below that seems fine. If it's anything higheer it's a bit of a simplistic look at it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise