Double Degree Watch

ub1w
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'd like to know if I can do 2 part-time courses concurrently from two separate universities. For example, a PhD from the one university and an MBA from another...
Limoncello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ub1w)
Hi, I'd like to know if I can do 2 part-time courses concurrently from two separate universities. For example, a PhD from the one university and an MBA from another...
why would you wanna do that?
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That would be rather expensive and you wouldn't be able to work at your full potential. Postgrad courses are quite intensive and you need to devote as much time as possible.

There is also the visa issue. If you're an international student coming to the UK on a student visa, you can't enrol on a part time course (EU students being the exception to the rule).
edjunkie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You would need to be full time enrolled on one course and part time on the other to get a tier 4 visa. Bearing in mind that depending on the subject full time equates to 3 - 4 days a week with teaching time of up to 21 hours. It entirely depends on the course timetable how these hours are distributed. Don't under estimate the amount of time you would need to spend reading and studying in your own time.

Since you want to do a PhD, I would suggest being full time on that course and then doing the MBA part time. The more flexible institutions will allow you to spread the MBA modules you need to complete the course, plus you may be able to have a year to complete the dissertation element.

If you have a tier 4 visa for your main course of study, then there is no restriction on you undertaking further study at the same or another institution so long as it does not affect your ability to complete the course for which you have been awarded your visa. Things that would be considered to affect your primary course is attendance, you need 80% or more on your visa course. It is safe to aim for 90%+ attendance as a minimum, so that an unforseen illness does not impact your attendance.

If you don't need a tier 4 visa or qualify for different category of visa and money is not a problem then part time study at two different places is a possible . But be aware it is not unheard of to have mandatory weekend attendance. You may be able to coordinate the timetable one year but not the next and it may impact on which modules you are able to do. Don't expect either institution to accomodate your scheduling issue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads