AQA ECON 1 Micro 25 mark essay Watch

georget1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi

I am doing the AQA AS economics exam in the summer and require some assistance on the 25 mark essay past question from the most recent exam in January 2011:

"The extract suggests that public goods such as flood defences have to be paid for by somebody"
"Evaluate the view that the provision and maintenance of flood defences should be paid for solely by the government"

I assume you would start by defining a public good and possibly talking about the free market/price mechanism/allocation of resources.

Then you could say about public goods/free rider problem and market failure/the need for government to intervene and pay to make up for negative externality of flooding.

Then opposing view of others have to pay e.g. house-building companies/those who live in flood risk areas??

What diagram could be included (bearing in mind the question beforehand asks you to explain negative externalities with an MSC/MPC etc. diagaram so wouldn't want to repeat this?)

Some help would be needed as I have not seen a question like this before - usually it asks to evaluate the case for and against government intervention or to evaluate different policies, but this is different.

Thanks
georget1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Any help from anyone? Please..?!
Tateco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have a look down the list of recently answered threads, there's been a few of the same questions
(on the same paper) knocking around
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed